Mother, Dear

Taste of Heaven

 

Heechul had finger-shaped bruises on his wrist the next day. I asked him how it’d happened, but before he could respond, someone approached our table. “Next time, don’t run away. I can do a lot worse than bruise your wrist.”

“You got beat up?”

“No, I almost got beat up. I took a self-defense class before coming out and I can run far and fast.”

“Heechul, I’m walking you home today. No friend of mine is going to get bloodied up, especially with a face like yours.”

Heechul looked down and smiled. “Careful,” he said in a hushed tone. “You don’t want me to fall for you. Your reputation will be ruined.”

“My reputation is gone. I don’t care anymore.”

“So then is that an open invitation?”

“An open invitation for what?”

“For me to fall for you.”

I didn’t respond.

--

“It’s the gay couple!” We heard behind us on our way to the fine arts hallway for lunch. “Careful Hangeng, you don’t want to get his gay on you.”

I dropped my tray and strode over to him, ignoring the fact that my food spilled onto the floor. “Homouality isn’t a disease you can catch. It’s not transmitted through the air or by touching someone. It’s who you fall in love with. So Heechul might fall in love with another man. You don’t have to worry about him hitting on you; I’m sure he wouldn’t even like to think about liking scum like you.” The guys walked off, sparing a backwards glance at us.

I turned to see Heechul putting my food back on my tray. He gave it to me with a glare. “Don’t ever stand up for me again.”

“Why not?”

“I’m used to it. And I don’t want you to get bullied for standing up for me.”

“I’d rather be bullied alongside you than have to watch you suffer and not do anything about it.” Now it was Heechul’s turn to not respond.

--

His house wasn’t actually that far away. Still, it was cold, so he invited me in. “Let’s just hope no one’s home.”

Outside was ordinary enough to fool anyone into thinking the inside was just as nice. However, stepping inside the door and into the living room, I discovered just how not-nice the inside was. “Sorry it’s a bit messy… I don’t spend a lot of time here to clean.” I looked around to see newspapers, books, and loose paper strewn across the floor. Stepping further into the room, I heard the crunching of glass underneath my feet. Heechul flinched, and I wondered why. “I didn’t clean that up yet… I was busy.”

“Busy with what?” Heechul rubbed his shoulder and shrugged in response.

“Heechul?” A whispered voice sounded. “Is that you?”

“Noona?” A girl probably two years older than Heechul and me appeared. She had long black hair and a bruise just under her collar bone. Other than the rather large purple blemish, she was beautiful. In her hand was an overnight bag. She handed it to Heechul.

“Mother’s been drinking again and now she’s in a mood. I don’t want to risk you getting hurt like last time. Find a place to stay tonight; I’ll call you later.” She kissed Heechul’s cheek and ushered us out the door just as a lady whom I assumed to be Heechul’s mom appeared down the hallway.

“Ji-San! What do you think you’re doing?!” But Heechul and I were already outside. Ji-San slammed the door and Heechul slung the bag over his shoulder and began running.

“Which way is your house?” He shouted ahead of me.

“That way.” I pointed the direction and Heechul looked back at me to better know the way. His eyes widened and he picked up speed. I looked back, also, to see Heechul’s mom gaining on us and Ji-San chasing after her.

 

Oh look a rotton home life. Who could've predicted this...

Seriously though comments are wonderful and nobody talks to me (save SaranghaeSujuChullie) so yeah you should totally comment and make my day k love you bye