Why Does It Matter?

Taste of Heaven

 

Of course, when it happened, we had no idea we would be shunned by almost the entire school. I knew that most people wouldn’t accept the fact that Heechul was gay, and that by voluntarily sitting next to him, people would think I, too, was gay. However, I didn’t think it would spread throughout the entire school before we could even get to lunch, but that’s the power of technology, I guess.

Heechul and I stood there, holding our lunch trays and searching for a place to sit. Those who didn’t know either one of us stared like we were a Hollywood couple, whispering to one another. Those who did know one of us looked down into their food and focused on eating like they were studying for a test. I spotted my friends a few tables away and led Heechul over there.

“Hey guys. We’ll be having one more for lunch.” They didn’t respond. “Why are you being like this? Is this some sort of joke?”

I heard one of them mumble in a low voice, “We don’t have room.”

“Come on, there’s plenty of room.”

“He means we don’t have room for people like you.” Someone else said in a tone that was barely audible.

I nodded, understanding, and gestured for Heechul to follow me. We ended up sitting in the fine arts hallway, isolated from everyone. I got to know Heechul pretty well in that half hour and drew a map to the rest of his classes for him, highlighting the path in pink. Then, per his request, I also drew a map of my classes so he’d know where to find me should he need to.

--

In my next class, those sitting around me avoided eye contact, save one brave soul who asked if it was were true that I was gay.

“No,” I replied. “Just because my friend prefers men to women doesn’t mean I’m gay. In fact, why does it need a label anyway? Why can’t we just love and let love?”

He shut up.