distance

Sisters in the Stars

Children have very protective memories. They have memories that only tell them what they need to hear and what they want to hear; really, memories are quite the silly things.

 

When Krystal and Jessica were told about a trip to Seoul for the summer at the dinner table, they became excited for quite the different things. Krystal, of course, only remembered the awesome time she had while befriending mushrooms and dinosaurs and stars in Seoul.

Immediately, the now seven year old was all over her sister, "Sica! Sica! Lemme borrow your N64, pleeeease!"

Krystal's expectations were unfortunately not fulfilled once she, her sister and their parents finally arrived in Korea. Their parents were off visiting old school friends, family members, blah blah blah... Rather than spending their time together, playing Mario and Kirby at the Lotte mall as they had done before, Jessica had quickly found herself a friend, and he — yes, he — was a boy with cooties and was a complete sister thief! Needless to say, a certain seven year old was not amused.

After Jessica came home one day, complaining about boys and [shhh, she'd used a bad word], and cocooned herself inside layers of the fluffiest of blankets, Krystal took the chance and clambered into the bed with her sister.

"Sica? D'you wanna go to Lotte mall and play games with me tomorrow?" the younger questioned, poking a lump she assumed was her sister's .

"Ow! Stop poking my face!" Jessica emerged, not quite a butterfly yet, with red-rimmed eyes and a sniffly nose.

"Sorry... Are you sick, Sica?"

"Silly — whatever — OK, let's go tomorrow, 'kay? Now shoo! Sis needs some sleep."

 

And so Krystal burrowed in with her sister, and both promptly took a nap.