stardust

Sisters in the Stars

It all began when Krystal won her first game of Mario on a demo N64 at Seoul's Lotte mall. She had gotten a star!

 

"Yay! I won! I got the star!" the five year old cheered, jumping up into the arms of her older sister, "Jessica! Jessica! Sica! I won! I won! We won!"

"That's great —"

The ecstatic girl blinked down at her elder sister, "Uh... Sica? You OK? You look like you're dying from a case of the giggles."

All Jessica could do was point at the stacks of Nintendo 64s at her back, turning around, Krystal saw a group of elementary school boys — still in school uniforms — and the two sisters' parents, chuckling at the youngest of the Jung family.

Their father, tall, muscular, and stocky from his boxing days, shaking with laughter as he held a brightly wrapped package in his hands; their mother, small, lean, and fragile-looking, still as graceful as she was when she was a national gymnast, smiling at them with laughter all over her face.

Teasing his youngest child, the man grinned, "What happened to your indoor voice, silly Kryssy?"

Ignoring all else, the younger sister shouted excitedly, "I got a star, daddy!"

A squeal of happiness as older sister understood what the package would be, "I'm getting an N64 for my birthday! Mommy, you're the best!"

A pat on the head, "I told you mommy could make daddy come around."

 

The day ended with Chocopie and strawberry milk for dessert before two satisfied little girls jumped down the rabbit hole to their dreams in the arms of their mother, sleeping in the foreign beds of their home country. On a small couch, a father slept, protectively guarding an N64 from the grasps of his excited daughters.

And so, little Krystal had great adventures with friends with mushroom hats and stars that twinkle up above, high in the sky.