Chapter 9

Prey

 

There were so many things Taeyeon was trying to process and make sense of it since this morning. Firstly - the guitar which she thought the other girl was initially alright with it but later not? Secondly, she was sure she had already been dead this morning, judging by how furious the other girl was but still alive now. And thirdly, why the heck would she brought her out without a sense of security at all? It’s all too weird to even comprehend.

“It had been a long time since I last came here.” The other commented while looking at the amusement park. The sounds of machines clattering, roller coasters, people laughing, chattering filled her ears, living up her mood in an instant like a breath of fresh air once she stepped foot.

Taeyeon looked at the other after she broke her thoughts, wondering if she really meant what she was saying as the other looked so occupied with observing the place, walking around the game stalls before a new incoming text message made her curse under her breath.

I will be late. -Mr K (Trader)

Taeyeon saw her rolling her eyes while grumpily slid the phone into her pocket. “That bloody bastard is going to be late again. So what should we do here?” She sat on the nearby bench, folding her arms.

Taeyeon chuckled. “Well… you can try those horror rides.” She pointed her finger towards one of the clown ride.

She snorted. “Don’t be silly.”

Taeyeon faked a cough while teasing her, not afraid of the other girl, “Someone looked scare.”

“Don’t make me point a gun towards you.” Her eyes pierced dangerously towards her.

“You just did, this morning, and many times before.” She challenged her.

“That was because…” She tried to find an excuse but none, immediately looked away from her. “I dislike your guitar.”

Taeyeon frowned. “But you willingly gave it yourself in the first place and the next day you threw it as if it harmed you.”

“It did really harm me, alright!” She grumpily stood up and walked towards the clown ride.

Taeyeon was surprised with her answer but she still cannot comprehend what the other actually meant by it. “Sorry, but I really don’t get what you were talking about.” She followed behind her.

She didn’t answer her, instead she took out her money and paid the clown ride’s crew before she started asking, “Do you want to ride this or not?”

Taeyeon tilted her head. “Are you being serious?”

“Now, who’s the one been chickening out?” She smirked.

 “Alright then, why not?” Taeyeon curved a loop-sided smile as she knew herself that she was not afraid of it compared to the other girl. She was sure she saw a hint of disappointment from the other girl as the latter slightly hesitated when getting into the two-seater ride.

When the ride slowly travelled into a pitch black room, Taeyeon saw the other girl started shifting onto her seat while the music abruptly pumped towards crescendo with the evil sounds of laughter from the clowns before a hideous and bloody clown jumped scared in front of them. Taeyeon heard a loud scream from beside her that made her instantaneously laughed out loud like an ahjumma, throwing her head backwards.

She tried to control her laughter in between her words while asking, “I thought you are not afraid of blood and horror stuff since you practically live with it?”

She showed a mixture of disguised and distress face, “It’s all about the clown, not the blood.”

Taeyeon nodded before another clown popped out from nowhere, earning another scream from the other. Taeyeon only smiled inwardly as she looked onto the other, feeling grateful on the slight improvement from her.

As the ride ended, the other girl quickly got out from the seat as soon as possible and sighed out loud.

At that particular moment, Taeyeon found her almost like a normal person again, not the psychopathic predator that she thought she was, but a person that she can help with.

I will be arriving at 15 minutes. -Mr K (Trader)

The other checked her phone before slipping it into her pocket.

 “So, where is your errand?” Taeyeon asked while turning her head, scanning the area.

“In a few minutes.” She answered.

"In a meantime..." Taeyeon raised her hand as if asking for permission after a stall caught her attention, “Can I play that gun shooting game?” She pointed at the nearby game stall.

She raised one of her brows, feeling skeptical with her actions before following Taeyeon towards the stall. She inspected the displayed guns, they were lighter, made from plastic and the bullets they provided were artificial which immediately erased her doubt away, allowing Taeyeon to try.

Taeyeon put her hands into her jean pocket, only to remember that she did not have any money with her as her belongings were all confiscated by the other. She looked at her sadly.

She rolled her eyes at her before paying the crew.

“Thank you.” Taeyeon smiled at her while inserting the artificial bullets which received from the crew into the holder and close one of her eyes, aiming onto the dart before pulling the trigger. She missed, the shot she fired was outside of the dart ring, earning a snort from the other.

Taeyeon pouted. “I am just a beginner. No teasing.”

The other girl shook her head, “Try using both eyes instead of one eye.”

Taeyeon followed her words, and the result she obtained is at least better than the previous, inside the dart ring, but still she didn’t strike bulleye.

She immediately grinned, “Cool, it improved.”

She shrugged. “One eye gives depth perception. That’s why.”

Taeyeon nodded and continued shooting for numerous times but still didn’t manage to strike bulleye. She felt disappointed and immediately placed the gun back into its position, giving up.

The other sighed before paying to the crew for a second round. “Watch and learn, Taeyeon.” Within 5 seconds, five continuous shots emitted and in a split seconds, all of the five darts hit bulleye, none were out of its place, gaining numerous onlookers to stop at their tracks and the crews gaping with amusement, wheareas Taeyeon found her skills attractive when the other looked so engrossed into something.

“Let’s go.” She put down the displayed gun and walked off, taking out her phone to observe the time. “We have to go to the café nearby…” Realizing the absence of reply from Taeyeon, she turned around to see her still at the gun shooting stall, receiving something from the crew before she came running to her.

“I exchange the prize for this wrist watch, I realized you don’t own one, you always use your phone, so I think this will be useful for you.” She handed the pink totoro watch to her.

“Seriously?” She observed the cartoon figure on the watch with displeasure.

“If you don’t like, I can have it.” Taeyeon offered, wanting to take the watch back.

She flailed Taeyeon’s hand off, “Forget about it, once given, considered sold.” She pocketed the watch inside her jacket before striding towards her meeting location, “Now, hurry, we have to head to the café.”

Taeyeon only smiled at herself.  She really is improving.

The meeting took place briefly in the café, exchanging briefcases and several codes’ conversation which Taeyeon cannot understand. Mr K had black coat and pants on from head to toe, wearing black sunglasses, looking like an agent.

 “Wait, T.” He called out in a last minute before we departed.

The other turned around and he handed a note to her.

When Mr K called out, Taeyeon only realized that she didn’t even know her name at all. She looked at the girl in front of her, she looked paled for a second when reading the note before crumpling it. She wondered what was on the paper which made the other reacted that way.

Mr K walked towards Taeyeon and suddenly bowed at her, startling her, “My master wants to say hi to you.” He then left the café.

Taeyeon was shocked, trying to process everything before asking the other, “You alright?”

“…” She didn’t reply and walked off towards the car park.