Chapter 8

Prey

 

She opened her eyes slowly, adapting to the light emitted from outside the window into the room. She looked at the wall while still lying down on her bed, it was pink – definitely her own room. She tried to sit up but the ache in her head made her groaned in pain. was dried and hoarse, her shirt smelled like alcohol and liquor was still lingering in her room. She immediately gave up, lying back down on her bed.

She reached out to her cell phone on the side of her bed, wanting to check the time. The screen lighted and 1.30pm was stated on it. She groaned another for the cause of this mess and disorder. She tried to think on her confusion but she had a hard time recollecting yesterday’s occurrence until she noticed small cuts on her palm, the wounds on her palm which were peeking out from underneath the cell phone slowly caught her attention. She removed the phone from her other free hand and looked at the wounds for the longest time. She furrowed her brows while recalling, her focus then turned to the unfinished iodine-colored antiseptic, the antibiotic.

Taeyeon.

The name which was so familiar to her cause of resentment towards herself, the stupid name which brought out the confusion within her, the name which she started to abhor.

She closed her palm, slowly tighten it into a ball of fist before forcing herself to get down from her bed despite the still throbbing pain existing in her head. An upsurge of discontentment filled her at the moment for her own resentment on the confusion she had.

 She strode towards the hall, only to find that the other was still asleep on the cold floor, cradling her guitar. She kicked her leg. The other stirred, groaning and turned to her side, her back now facing towards her. She kicked harder this time, and harshly took the guitar from her hold. She groggily opened her eyes after the commotion steadily woke her eventually and she was surprised to see her and her guitar in her hand.

“Mor-morning…?” She greeted warily while still lying down on the floor. Taeyeon never knew the next trepidation she was going to perceive at the sight in front of her was the guitar she seen in her hand earlier sent crushing onto the wall in swift second. She immediately sat up with horror.

“Get up!” She turned towards her and ordered with her dagger, compelling her back onto her seat once the chair was retrieved.

Taeyeon was too dumbfounded to even comprehend the whole situation, her feet subconsciously followed her order while she numbly looked at her guitar from afar. She was tied back to her original state. She thought that after binding, she was going to be left just like the first few days, but she was wrong. Once she was bound, the other girl tilted the chair with her still sitting on it and dragged the chair, along with her down towards the corridor into the training room.

Taeyeon startled, feeling uneasy on her next intention, her fright grew tremendously especially after the scene with her guitar. She cannot fathom what deed she had done to deserve such treatment as if the more kindness she showed towards her, the more harm she will be receiving from her.

She was led into the room, everything was pitch black until the lights were switched on: Guns were displayed on the table neatly like vending, shooting darts at the back of the room, numerous mannequin shooting targets were located at different angles and several workout equipments were all fully accommodated in the room.

Taeyeon was dragged towards the side of the room. Without hesitating, the other girl began to observe the guns before picking the one which Taeyeon recognized as M9. Taeyeon started to feel edgy and tense as the other girl inserted the bullets into the holder until she slowly ease herself when she realized she was aiming the gun towards the shooting dart which located a few meters away from her instead of the other way round, but deep down she still felt a surge of tension within her.

 It only took the girl one shot to make a bullseye. The deafening bang from the pistol was ear-splitting, causing a temporary ache on Taeyeon’s eardrums. She proceeded shooting the mannequin targets swiftly and slickly, moving to one target to another, hitting the right spot on the target. Taeyeon only watched with both amazement and anxiety, her hands became sweaty as she sat longer, maybe it was just the room which was stuffy or maybe it was just her, who was feeling insecure in this room.

She slowly drifted her concentration towards her surrounding – A lone luxurious chair placed near the table immediately caught her focus, a few patch of pale red stain can be seen on the arm of the chair, coupled with a few drops on the brown carpet. Although the brown carpet almost masked the stain, the lighting from her view of angle was apparent to her. It was dried blood.

She started shifting on her seat and her whole body was racing with fear, imagining victims terminated in this room in a cunning method, the number of deaths and their cries of horror, her hands quivered without controlled. An abrupt silence in the room slowly engulfed her, her breathing became uneven as she heard the sound of gunfire was now no longer present in her ears. Why was it she have to experience silence at this wrong timing, she shuddered under her breath.

She slowly turned her head towards her left while palpitating with terror, meeting a pistol directing towards her by a distance away.

 A click was heard. She had never felt so dead before and right now she can feel the door of death was welcoming her and the eyes in front of her had displayed no soul anymore.

The orbs that she looked into were dead and lifeless.

She closed her eyes slowly, willingly accepted that she had defeated and failed to save a soul, a soul which she had deeply placed a bet on.

Yuri, Jessica, Sunny and lastly my fans... She heaved in deeply. Goodbye... and sorry... A few tears started to accumulate at the corner of her eyes.

She chose to shut her view at the last minute, knowing that a view which had been obscured would be better than a sight where she will clearly know the moment of occurrence. At least, she can be calmed temporary.

She clutched her palm tightly till her nails scraped into her skin. She kept mentally comforting herself before the gunfire was released.

She expected there will be an excruciating pain in her chest region, blood oozing out violently and finally her heart will stop beating. But she was shocked to meet an opposite impact, she experienced no affliction at all.

She thought she was already dead that she couldn't experience pain anymore, so she forced herself to open her eyes to seek reality.

The trigger was definitely pulled as there was still fresh fume emitting out from the pistol's mouth. She looked at the direction on where the other was now looking, she turned her upper body towards behind, only to meet a mannequin behind her with a hole on its chest, where the bullet penetrate.

"Too early to relieve, don't you think?" She finally spoke, while cleaning her pistol.

Damn, is there more?

"Not really. I am enjoying it." She forced a smile while hiding her fright. She knew that the more she depicted fear, the more she will experience one.

She raised one of her brows, she was not expecting that type of reply.

"Really, totally enjoy it, you should do more of this" She convinced her.

I am crazy.

She placed the pistol away. "I don't know whether I should feel flattered or what... but…” She jabbed a finger, shaping like a gun into her cheek, “But please do not play the guitar anymore, alright.” Her tone was serious.

She quickly nodded.

“Good then, shall we go to the amusement park?” She suddenly asked while smiling.

“Huh?” Taeyeon blinked at her.

“There is no one keeping an eye on you here, so you have to follow me to run an errand.” She started reloading the pistol.

 “A-alright.” She tried to smile. That was too weird.