~o2 Kiss Me: Chenmin

Kiss Me

~o2 Kiss Me: ChenMin

“This feels like falling in love…”

 

 

 

 

            One word. Chatterbox. Yep, that’s the perfect word to describe Kim Minseok. He was basically everyone’s talking nightmare. That guy just loves to chatter, almost like little birds singing their ritual happy tunes in the early morning, except Minseok was much noisier than little birds chirping to the world that a new day was beginning, if that was even possible for him to do.

            Minseok’s cuteness sort of helps him make up for his talkativeness though. He has these adorable cheeks that people would often compare to that of a chipmunk. The only downside is that his cheeks are much rounder and bigger than a cute little chipmunk, so by unanimous decision everyone just calls him bun face.

            Bun face?

            Yeah, bun face.

            Minseok thinks that’s like the lamest name ever. Seriously, if you want to call him names at least be a bit more creative with it. Sometimes the names extended to as far as chubby cheeks, which is also just as lame as bun face. Minseok doesn’t really pay much attention to what they call him though. He could care less of what his classmates thought of his cheeks; although, he is interested in one person’s opinion, and that is the boy who sits next to him in class, who goes by the name of Kim Jongdae.

             Ok, so technically he isn’t interested in what Jongdae thinks of his cheeks since that would be kind of weird, but he definitely wants to know what goes on in that guy’s head because if Minseok was claimed to be everyone’s talking nightmare, Jongdae would be considered everyone’s prince charming. No, actually Minseok would be lying if he said Kim Jongdae was everyone’s prince charming. Kim Jongdae is more like the absolute clichéd definition of a high school drama’s ice prince.

            Well, the first time Minseok ever laid his eyes on this “Ice Prince” was about a couple months ago. It was the beginning of a new school year and Minseok was hoping he would be able to make at least one new friend. It’s not like he didn’t have friends, he had a few, one of them being Byun Baekhyun, who could actually rival against him in blabbering competitions—if there were any such things as blabbering competitions—but the reason why he wanted to make a new friend was because he wanted someone different to talk to. You know, someone who would actually listen to him for once since Baekhyun would talk over him sometimes. Of course he loved the guy, Baekhyun is his best friend, but he would never really listen to what Minseok had to say since the little diva loved to talk as much as him.

            At first, Minseok was completely taken away by Jongdae’s facial features and bone structure. It was a complete opposite of his own round and chubby cheeks, and he kind of envied the guy for having such handsome features. He’s also heard a lot of wild rumors about Jongdae, but Minseok being Minseok, he doesn’t even bother to remember half of what those rumors were about, unlike his other friend, Zhang Yixing, who strangely liked to gossip about other people. There’s at least one thing that is right about those rumors though and that would be how Jongdae fit into the handsome department, next to Kim Jongin or Kai, that is, but let’s not get into that.

            So, sure, Jongdae was handsome and all, but Minseok found that he was rather quiet—a little too quiet. It amuses him how people would think he has these supernatural powers or something. Like, who wouldn’t be kind of freaked out if they saw someone standing right behind them when just a few seconds ago they were standing way over there on the other side blankly staring off into the sky? Ah, yea, that would be Jongdae on his off-days where he was slightly creepy for whatever apparent reason.    

            Minseok liked the fact that he was quiet though. He could blabber as much as he wanted to since Jongdae has never once told him to stop. The guy was probably ignoring and tuning out the little bun, but Minseok liked to tell himself that Jongdae was actually listening to him.

 

---

 

            “So, how was your day, Jongdae?” Minseok asks while they were walking down the side walk towards the bus stop. School had just ended and Minseok decided to take the city bus home today along with Jongdae since the Ice Prince always took the bus home. Lately, Minseok seems to be doing that a lot more now, riding the bus with Jongdae.

            Jongdae didn’t say anything as usual so Minseok continued to prattle on, “Well, mine was pretty lame. I got scolded by a teacher for being late to class this morning. I didn’t do well on my History exam, and I kind of studied hard for it too. I also got milk spilled on me during lunch since Baekhyun wasn’t paying attention to where he was flailing his arms when he was talking to me about Park Chanyeol. You know Park Chanyeol, right? Wait, of course you do. He’s friends with Jongin, err, I meant, Kai. Why does Jongin like to be called Kai anyway? I heard from Yixing that he was trying to impress this senior named Kyungsoo, but I don’t think calling himself Kai will get him noticed much since he’s kind of a bad boy, unless Kyungsoo is into guys like that. I wonder if Kyungsoo is into guys anyway. Actually I don’t really care. Oh, gosh I’m getting off track again! So yea, my day wasn’t all that great. I was called bun face again by this kid named…Oh Sehun, was it? I don’t remember…”

            Minseok just continues to talk and talk and talk. When the bus finally comes, he’s still talking, but Jongdae just calmly listens to Minseok’s ranting even though it seemed like he really wasn’t. Silently, Jongdae takes an empty seat stationed near the back, and Minseok takes the one right next to him.  

            “…sometimes I wonder what it’s like to be in a relationship. Yixing is in one with Junmyeon and they look so happy whenever they are with each other. It kind of makes me jealous sometimes. It’s interesting how Junmyeon puts up with Yixing’s weird antics though. He’s always causing some sort of trouble for everyone. And Baekhyun, he always talks about Chanyeol like he’s some sort of deity, but I think Chanyeol is more like the deity of the klutz. At least he’s funny, well, that’s what Baekhyun says anyway. What about you, Jongdae? Have you ever been in a relationship with someone?”

            Minseok turns his head to Jongdae and was surprised that the guy shook his head in response to his random question. That’s probably the first time Jongdae has ever replied to him, even if it was just a shake of a head and not really in the form of words, Minseok felt extreme joy from Jongdae’s reply. It meant that the Ice Prince actually listened to him when he talked.

            “Really? You’ve never been in one? Wow, I thought you would have been in one. You’re really handsome, you know, so I’m surprised.”

            Minseok looks away from Jongdae and purses his lips into a small pout as he thinks to himself. The bus suddenly comes to a stop making Minseok jump up a little in his seat. He’s astonished at how much time has already passed by. It felt so short, “Oh, this is my stop.” He turns to Jongdae and smiles, “I’ll be going then. See you tomorrow, Jongdae!”

            He grabs his backpack and makes his way to the front of the bus. Once he gets off he quickly turns his head to catch a glimpse of Jongdae from the window, but the Ice Prince was facing forward. He frowns sadly wondering why he wanted Jongdae to at least wave him goodbye. He just shrugs away the empty feeling and begins to walk down the crowded street missing the small smile that curved upwards on Jongdae’s face as he watched the little bun walk away.

 

---

 

            The next day during lunch, Yixing was at it again with his new found rumors, “Hey, did you guys hear about Jongdae?”

            Minseok stops talking to Baekhyun at the mention of Jongdae’s name.

            “Kim Jongdae? Again? What about him this time?” Luhan says with a mouth full of his ham sandwich.

            Baekhyun knocks his hand on top of Luhan’s head when specks of bread crumbs fly towards him, “Luhan! Argh, gross! Don’t talk with your mouth full!”

            Luhan gives him a sheepish smile before swallowing and saying a small sorry. Baekhyun just flicks away the pieces of food from his jacket and continues to complain.

            Yixing rolls his eyes at his friends before continuing, “Okay, so back to Jongdae. You guys all know how he doesn’t really talk, right? Well, ever since he came to this school no one has ever heard the guy talk. I also have English class with him and Mr. Jung always excuses him from doing speeches and presentations that we do in there. I heard it’s because he has this phobia of talking.”

            Baekhyun scoffs, “Really, Yixing? Really? Kim Jongdae is scared of talking? That’s absurd. He probably likes to look cool so he just doesn’t speak much.”

            Luhan takes the last bite of his sandwich and swallows before speaking, which gets him an approved look from Baekhyun, “Does he really not talk? Like, at all? Tell us, Minnie. Does Jongdae ever talk to you? You’re always talking to him.”

            Minseok scratches the back of his head, “Well, it’s true that Jongdae never really talks. I talk to him all the time, and I even ask him questions sometimes, but he usually never answers them back so I just keep on talking.”

            “Hmm.” Baekhyun adds in, “Interesting. No wonder the girls call him the Ice Prince. Whenever they confess to him he just shakes his head and rejects them. He doesn’t even say sorry.”

            “That’s kind of rude.” Luhan says while trying to sneak his hands into Baekhyun’s lunch bag to grab that chocolate brownie he’s been eyeing ever since lunch started.

            Baekhyun slaps Luhan’s hand away, “Yea, but even if he is being rude, it’s not like he even liked the girl in the first place. He’s not like Jongin, oh, wait, I meant Kai or—what? Ugh, just—whatever…at least Jongdae isn’t like Jongin who shamelessly flirts around with every girl that comes up and confesses to him.”

            “Jongin is just an who wants to get Kyungsoo’s attention.” Yixing says before taking a sip of his milk.

            Luhan snorts, “How the hell does he get Kyungsoo’s attention by flirting with girls anyway?”

            Yixing raises a brow at Luhan, “Oh, you haven’t heard? Behind that vice president’s cute doe eyes and innocent smile is an evil playboy demon. All the girls that Jongin is currently flirting around with were once Kyungsoo’s one time flings.”

            “EHH?” Luhan nearly chokes on his second ham sandwich causing Baekhyun to frown down at him when more specks of bread crumbs land on his jacket. Oh, there’s even some lettuce mixed in with it this time and it’s on his…face.

            “Yea, yea, I always knew Kyungsoo was like that. It takes one to know one.” Baekhyun says with lack of interest as he brushes off the newly planted specks of food from his jacket and face.

            “WHAT? Baekhyun, you were a playboy too?” Luhan shouts making more crumbs fly out from his mouth.

            “Luhan!” Baekhyun hisses while removing more of Luhan’s stupid breadcrumbs from his school blazer, “Would you please stop talking with your mouth full! And yes, goddammit! I was a playboy, but that was a long time ago.”

            “Yea, and that’s because Park Chanyeol came into his life, right?” Yixing muffles his giggles and nudges his elbow against Minseok’s arm.

            “Yah, if you want to say something then say it to my face, Zhang Yixing.” Baekhyun was getting really annoyed now.

            “Geez, don’t your in a wad, Baekhyunnie. Chanyeol is just a very adorable giant that’s all.” Yixing says with a slight teasing voice.

            Baekhyun frowns menacingly.

            “Hey, guys, what about Jongdae? You know, Kim Jongdae? We’re getting off track here.” Minseok says exasperatedly.

            “Ah, that’s right.” Yixing immediately scoots his head in closer to his friends, “So since Jongdae never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever…”

            “Yixing,” Baekhyun frowns even deeper, “we get the point.”

            Yixing smiles a bit loving how he’s annoying the crap out of his friend before continuing on, “…ever, ever talks, a whole bunch of girls are holding up a competition to see who will be the first person to get him to actually talk.”

            “How are they going to do that?” Minseok asks.

            Yixing shrugs, “Well, that part I don’t know. They all started screaming at each other, and girls are scary when they start their catfights, so I made a dash for it.”

            “Oh, please. I’m the scariest there is.” Baekhyun comments.

            “And that’s why your giant, Park Chanyeol, likes to keep away from you.”

            “ZHANG YIXING!”

            Minseok ignores his friends’ bickering and thinks about Jongdae instead. So the girls are planning to see who can get Jongdae to talk first? In his heart he truly wants to be the first person to get Jongdae to talk. It may be a competition to the girls, but to Minseok it meant more to him than that. He didn’t really know why, but it did, and he felt determined to be the first one to get the Ice Prince to talk.

 

---

 

            After the day Minseok found out about the girls trying to get Jongdae to speak, he started to follow the Ice Prince everywhere he went. He even went as far as following him into the bathroom once, which made Jongdae give him a strange look. Minseok ended up waiting for him outside the bathroom awkwardly that day.

            A week had quickly flown by after that and Jongdae realized that Minseok was becoming more and more talkative. It was more than the usual chatter Minseok would rattle on about. It was like the little bun was trying to tell him something in-between the lines. He wasn’t really sure what the hidden message Minseok was trying to imply to him though. He continued to listen to the other, but he still wouldn’t speak a single word. He would sometimes shake or nod his head to Minseok’s out of the blue questions and every time he did he would notice that Minseok’s eyes would sparkle in hope for something more. But that was all he ever gave to him, a shake or nod of his head.

            It’s now two weeks since Minseok started to follow Jongdae everywhere, and Jongdae still didn’t show any signs of talking. It was morning time, but something seemed off about the little bun today. He said his usual hello to Jongdae before taking his spot right next to him in class, but he sounded tired and dreary, much different from his usual cheery self. The Ice Prince expected Minseok to start talking about how delicious his breakfast was this morning, but there was only silence.

            Silence?

            Jongdae turned his head to face the other and he was surprised to see Minseok so calm. He wanted to ask if he was okay, but no sound came through his clogged up throat. He suddenly felt a bitter feeling attack his heart. He knew that somehow this was his fault for making Minseok look so sad. Jongdae wasn’t good with things like this so he gulped down whatever unsettling feeling he had for the little bun next to him and looked away.

            It was at lunch when Jongdae was attacked by a very vicious and upset mother bear.

            “YAH, KIM JONGDAE!”

            Jongdae, as well as a lot of the other students who were also walking down the hallway to their respective lunch destinations, paused and looked towards the source of the angry yelling. Whispers soon erupted among the students as they tried their best to move along, or out of the way—their eyes following Baekhyun’s every strutting step that was clearly heading straight towards the Ice Prince. Everyone knew Baekhyun was quite the dramatic character, and there was a possibility that things could end up ugly. There were a few who stayed to watch the two out of amusement, but most of them stayed because of pure curiosity.

            “You! What did you do?” Baekhyun accused bluntly.

            Jongdae didn’t say anything, but he immediately knew what Baekhyun was talking about, more specifically about whom. Baekhyun had little to no patience with Jongdae’s lack of response and angrily wraps his feminine like fingers around the Ice Prince’s school collar. The students gasp a little at Baekhyun’s bold attempt. No one has ever done that to the Ice Prince before.

            “I’m talking to you, Kim Jongdae! What. Did. You. Do?”

            He got nothing but silence as a response. Baekhyun was practically screaming in the other’s face now, “What? Can’t say anything? What did you do to my Minnie, huh? He won’t talk to me. In fact, he won’t talk to anyone. He hasn’t said a freaking word since this morning. Minnie is never like this. This is all your fault! I just know it!” Baekhyun was literally choking Jongdae with how much he was shaking him back and forth, “Dammit why won’t you say anything! What the hell did you do to him, Kim Jongdae?”

            Jongdae still didn’t say anything and it only infuriated Baekhyun further. There was some shuffling footsteps coming closer as Baekhyun continued to scream at the other before someone tackled him from behind, pulling the said boy away from Jongdae.

            “Ah, we’re so sorry, Jongdae! Please, forgive us.” Luhan says out of breath while bowing down repeatedly.

            “Yah, let me go!” Baekhyun screamed, “I said let me go!”

            “Baekhyun calm down!” Yixing yells as he holds the struggling boy back, “Do you really think Minseok would like you acting like this right now?”

            Baekhyun pushes Yixing away from him and fixes himself, “Does that really matter? He hurt our friend and he needs to…”

            Yixing waves his arms around, “It might not even be Jongdae’s fault.”

            Baekhyun points to the Ice Prince and squints his eyes with malice, “He’s all that Minnie’s been paying attention to for the past two weeks because of that stupid thing you told him about the girls trying to get him talk.” Baekhyun grabs a hold of Jongdae’s shirt again making Yixing and Luhan both lunge for his arms to pull him back, but Baekhyun’s hold on Jongdae’s shirt was relentless. “Whatever the hell it is that you did to him, you better fix it or else I’m going to come after you, regardless of how much Minseok admires you.”

            He then lets go of Jongdae’s shirt and stomps off. Yixing immediately trails after him to make sure he doesn’t start busting down the school’s walls. Luhan shakes his head before bowing down to Jongdae again.

            “Really, we’re sorry about Baekhyun’s behavior. He acts on impulse a lot of the time. It’s just, Minseok hasn’t been acting like himself all day so Baekhyun has been really worried about him. I’m sure you’ve heard the rumors about the girls trying to get you to talk. Well, Minseok was determined to be the one to get you to talk first. He didn’t say it out loud, but we could tell he really wanted to because he seems to admire you a lot.”

            Jongdae’s face appeared emotionless, but Luhan could see that there was something stirring within Jongdae mind from the worried look that flitted through his eyes. Jongdae couldn’t understand why it was so important for Minseok to get him to talk. Why does Minseok even admire him?

            Luhan places a hand on Jongdae’s arm and pats it before walking away.

            Jongdae wanted to be able to fix this and make Minseok happy again, but how can he do that when he couldn’t even really talk. It would be too traumatizing for him, but this was for Minseok’s sake, wasn’t it?

 

---

 

            Jongdae was anxious when the school bell finally rang indicating that school was now over. He walked over to the school gates and was shocked to see Minseok still waiting for him like usual. The little bun gave a small smile before walking up to Jongdae’s side. Jongdae felt a sting in his chest. Even Minseok’s smile was not like his usual carefree smile. His chest hurt even more knowing that this was his first time walking down to the bus stop with Minseok in silence.

            When the bus arrived it was still silent between the two. Minseok had a blank face on but when they caught each other’s eyes he would put on a fake smile. Jongdae really wanted to say something, but his voice was still stuck in his throat. Why couldn’t he just say something?

            He painfully looked away from Minseok and stared out the window. His eyes darted from the buildings to the people walking along the sidewalk. Maybe he could just write something down on paper. That would mean he would have to finally reveal everything to Minseok wouldn’t he? Jongdae’s heart beat was quickly rising. Was he ready to tell him? He was doing this for Minseok right? That’s right. This was for Minseok. Jongdae breathed in deeply and was about to pull out his phone so he could text something down and just show it to the other, but Minseok’s voice stopped him.

            “Do you hate me, Jongdae?”

            Jongdae whipped his head to look at Minseok with wide eyes.

            “Do you hate me?” He repeated much more quietly.

            Jongdae was about to shake his head, but Minseok continued, “I know I talk a lot. I probably bother you all the time with my pointless talking. Especially these past two weeks. I just get lonely at home without siblings and stuff and it comforts me when I just talk and talk. It’s nice to be listened to. No one really likes listening to me besides my friends. At first I didn’t think you listened to me, but I know you do now. You’ve been really nice to me, but you never say anything back so you probably don’t like me. I get it.” Minseok’s voice was starting to crack a little, “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for bothering you. I won’t bother you anymore. I won’t talk to you anymore.” He clutched his backpack tighter in his arms as he looked up into Jongdae’s eyes, “You know the rumor about all the girls trying to get you to talk? I wanted to be the first person to get you to talk. It wasn’t a competition to me like the girls. I just…I just wanted to hear your voice. I wondered what it would sound like. Everyone says that you’re the ‘Ice Prince’, but I don’t think so. I’ve always imagined your voice to be soft, yet warm.” Minseok turned away, “But it doesn’t really matter to you, does it?” He sighs, “I’m talking too much again, aren’t I? I’m sorry. I just really, really wanted to know what your voice sounded like.”

            The bus suddenly stops and Minseok stands up as quickly as he could to get off on his stop. He felt embarrassed for saying all that stuff to Jongdae and wanted to escape the suffocating feeling. He wasn’t really thinking when he stepped down the steps from the bus, but he let his feet carry him since they knew where to go. The sound of the bus doors closing and the wheels moving made him start to tear a little, knowing Jongdae won’t be able to see them. Why was he crying anyway?

            He pulled his arm up to wipe the stupid tears away, and he felt pitiful for crying like a baby. He then hiccupped and unintentionally yelped right after when someone attacked him in a hug from behind. His eyes nearly bulged out from their sockets when he saw who it was that was embracing him.

            “J-Jongdae?”

            Minseok pushed him away and started to babble incoherent words at the other boy. Jongdae shook his head over and over again and it looked like he was struggling for words to say since his mouth opened and closed repeatedly, but Minseok didn’t pay any attention to that.

            “What are you doing, Jongdae? I’m just troubling you again aren’t I? I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I won’t bother you anymore!” He continued to spew out “I’m sorry’s” and closed his eyes, trying to get rid of the tears that continued to fall from his eyes. He just wouldn’t shut up and the hiccups started to increase.

            Jongdae was at a loss of what to do. He’s made Minseok feel so upset with himself over something that the little bun didn’t really need to be so sad about. The tears that were falling down Minseok’s chubby cheeks made Jongdae want to stab himself over and over again. He lightly pressed his hands on both sides of Minseok’s cheeks and started to wipe away the watery streaks with his thumbs. Minseok blinked a couple of times before he registered what was happening. He started blubbering again and Jongdae couldn’t help himself this time. In one swift movement he leaned in and crashed his lips right onto the lips of the little bun to shut him up.

            It was awkward at first since Jongdae could feel the other’s lips move slightly from the few words that escaped his mouth, but it also felt kind of good. Jongdae leaned in even more and caressed Minseok’s face with a firm, yet gentle hold. This feeling was ecstatic and overwhelming, but oh so very satisfying, and he could feel something else bloom deep within his heart.

            Minseok’s eyes fluttered closed as he relished the pleasant feeling of Jongdae’s lips against his. This would be their first kiss. It wasn’t the best, but damn was his heart ramming hard against his chest. He was feeling dizzy all of the sudden when Jongdae leaned away. He slowly opened his eyes and he felt like he needed to close them again after seeing the brilliance Jongdae’s smile was showing him, but he forced them to stay open. He smiled back, but bashfully. This would also be the first time he’s seen Jongdae smile like this. It was so beautiful.

            Jongdae closed his eyes, but he continued to smile like there was no tomorrow. He placed his forehead on Minseok’s just so he could steady himself. His hands were still on the little bun’s cheeks and he liked how they were warm under his touch. Minseok was definitely blushing. It made him smile even more.

            Jongdae then released his hold and was now giving him an apologetic smile. He made a motion with his hands and Minseok could only stare.

            “I’m sorry.”

            Minseok continued to watch in awe as Jongdae continued to speak to him with his hands, “I’m really sorry.”

            Jongdae began to mouth the words along with the motions of his hands, “I didn’t mean to hurt you. I’m mute. I don’t like bringing it up and I don’t like it when people know about me being mute.”

            Minseok couldn’t understand all of the Jongdae’s gestures, but he got the gist of it. This whole time Kim Jongdae really couldn’t speak. He spoke in sign language. He was a mute. Minseok felt tears prickling his eyes again. This idiot. He can’t believe he thought this guy hated him.

            The little bun started to pound his fist onto Jongdae’s chest, “You big dummy! You…you…why couldn’t you just write to me or something you buffoon? I thought you were ignoring me by not saying anything! I thought you hated me! Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid…”

            Jongdae chuckled. It came out strange, but it was evident that there was sound even if it was labored and cracked. Minseok stopped pounding his fist against his chest and looked Jongdae in the eyes. “You…laughed.”

            Jongdae nodded his head and smiled again. He grabbed a hold of Minseok’s hands and intertwined it into his own. It felt nice holding hands like this. A pretty red and pink hue flushed Minseok’s cheek as he did this.

            “I…like…you…” Jongdae suddenly whispered quietly. The voice came out jagged and harsh. It wasn’t a very pleasant sound, but Minseok loved it. His body felt warm hearing those words. He’s finally heard Jongdae’s voice.

            “J-Jongdae…” Again tears were threatening to fall down his chubby cheeks. He released their intertwined hands and wrapped his arms around Jongdae’s neck while his head buried into his chest. “I-I think I…I like you too…”

            “Kiss?” Jongdae asked innocently as he wrapped his arms around the little bun’s waist.

            Minseok pouted against Jongdae’s chest as he contemplated it, “No, you don’t deserve another one because you’re an idiot. The first one shouldn’t even count. I can’t believe you. You are…”

            Jongdae releases Minseok from his hold and cups his cheeks again. He then places a peck on his lips. Minseok blinks rapidly losing his train of thought. Jongdae smirks and uses his hands to communicate again while he mouths, “You talk too much. I had to stop you from talking somehow.”

            Minseok read his lips with difficulty, but he ended up smiling. If Jongdae kept that up he wouldn’t mind talking as much as he could.

 

---

A/N:

Just to be clear, Jongdae wasn’t born a mute. He lost his voice due to an accident and because of that he doesn’t like to tell other people or have other people know about it. Jongdae can still say small words and phrases, but they come out very harsh and raspy, so it puts a limit to his speaking, which is why he has to use sign language.

Thank you for reading! I hope you guys enjoyed it!

<3 dububrit-on