VIII.

, Politics and Everything in Between

Jongin's voice rings in his head for too long, but another buzz against his palms catches his attention instead for a moment. The bright screen comes up, and for some reason, a burst of energy consumes him. And a smile, or something of the sort. 

[SMS from +82-2-098-7370] superman, buy me dinner :( 

[SMS to +82-2-098-7370] How did you get my number? 

"Yifan, please pay attention to the situation at hand."

"I'm listening --" His eyes don't stray from his phone, and that strange smile from before hasn't left his lips. There's some important chatter in the background, but his mind doesn't process anything. Talk of legislation goes in one ear and out the other -- talks of policy changes do the same in the opposing direction. 

[SMS from +82-2-098-7370] the same way your wallet came into my hands???
[SMS from +82-2-098-7370] so what are you buying me for dinner? 8)

[SMS to +82-2-098-7370] What is that emoticon? 
[SMS to +82-2-098-7370] I didn't agree to anything.

"Yifan... Is this a bad time for you?" The annoyance in the congressman's voice brings him back, eyes lifting from the text on screen to the text on the PowerPoint flashed on the wall ahead of him. His eyes don't register the words quick enough, and he catches the sight of the same man getting out of his seat. His hands are fisted, brows furrowed. "Clearly, your mind isn't clear enough for a talk like this. I'll try another time, if there will be another time that is." 

"I --" Before he responds, the door shuts and the knock of wind from the impact shakes up his hair just a bit. His bangs land back against his forehead while he realizes what had just occurred. 

[SMS from +82-2-098-7370] I'm thinking of something fancy.... how about italian? 
[SMS from +82-2-098-7370] a personal favorite, la papa johnny's :-)

His mind paints a big n-o in red paint, but his hands are already fumbling for his things sprawled on the table. The same smile from before persists, and there's something warm dispersing all through his body. It feels like the anticipation of Christmas, or something. He finds liking to it.

[SMS to That Kid] Meet at the one in front of The Face Shop on 21st Street.
[SMS to That Kid] Bring back my car. ​