Day 18

From the Abyss

 

Day 18 —Take a reader behind the wheel with the worst driver you’ve ever known.

Jonghyun centric

Jongyu

Word count: 480

 


 

Jonghyun’s life flash before his eyes.

 

This was it.

 

The day that he would die.

 

He could feel it.

 

It would all be over soon.

 

Would it hurt?

 

He hoped not. 

 

He never could handle pain well.

 

He wasn’t ready, but really, who ever is?
 

But he was still too young.

 

It was really a shame.

 

He had his whole life ahead of him.

 

There were so many things he wanted to do.

 

A family, children, a career.

 

All these things would have to be forfeited.

 

And all because of one little mistake.

 

Why oh why did he ever agree to let Jinki drive?
 

The older had barely had passed his driving test and apparently that was a miracle in and of itself.  To say Jinki was the worst driver ever would be an understatement.  It was an act of God that he hadn’t been wadded into a giant ball of steel on the road yet. 

 

Jonghyun’s knuckles turned white as he gripped the vinyl seat harder, his right foot pressed into the floorboard as if he were the driver with a functioning break pedal rather than simply the passenger with an imaginary one.  Jinki, blissfully oblivious as usual, simply chattered away, one hand fiddling with the radio dial as he talked. 

 

“H— Hyung, can you slow down,” Jonghyun whispered, trying to keep his voice from cracking.

 

“What was that?” Jinki asked, turning his full attention as well as his head in the direction of the younger.

 

“For the love of god look at the road!” Jonghyun exploded as he found the older staring at him as they cruised down the road.

 

“Are you always this stressed Jonghyun?” Jinki asked with a concerned of his eyebrow.

 

“You have run two red lights and just cut in front of a bus,” Jonghyun responded dryly, finally releasing is death-grip on the seat, working the stiff kinks out of his joints as Jinki slowed down only marginally and turned his eyes to the road in front of them.

 

“I did no such thing,” Jinki responded with a frown, obviously offended at being accused of such a thing.

 

“Hyung just— please pay attention.  I really don’t want to die.”

 

“Such a drama queen,” Jinki grumbled.

 

They only made it a few minutes of lower-stressed silence before Jonghyun’s foot was audibly pounding on floor again, willing a break pedal to appear.    

 

“Oh my god just stay in one lane!  Everyone is honking at you!”  Jonghyun finally spat out, unable to take it any longer.

 

“Why are you always yelling?  Oh .  You made me miss our turn.  I wonder if I can just back u—"

 

“Absolutely not.”

 

“No, it’s okay, there is no one behind me!” Jinki said brightly, throwing the small car in reverse, ignoring the chorus of honks from all around him.  

 

Yes, today was definitely the day Jonghyun would die.

 


 

The worst driver i've ever know... hmmm

I have two.

A roommate in college.  We wouldn't even let her drive to Wal-Mart after awhile.  She was awful.  And ran stop signs all the time because she was obvious to everything. 

Also, one of my co teachers.  She is so bad, I can't even tell you.  She mumbles to herself the whole time in Korean ('who's going to go?  Should I go?  No, i'll wait for them to go.  Why aren't they going?  Oh there's a bump." ect)

She drove to lunch the other day, I was legitimately scared for my life.  She was trying to do a U-turn but there was a big truck coming and she took so long that her green light had now turned red and she was still in the middle of the intersection.... it was not okay.

 

Also, my mother was a big fan of the imaginary break while we were all learning how to drive.  >_<