Day 4

From the Abyss

 

Day 4 —Write a story/excerpt to include the line, “Sorry, we can’t insure you for a journey like that.”

Jinki centric

Word Count: 1330

 


 

“I’m sorry Mr. Lee, could you repeat that please,” the receptionist asked as politely as possible, confusion and disbelief written all over her face as she absent-mindedly pressed her rimless glasses further up the bridge of her nose.

 

“Oh it’s not problem miss, I get that reaction a lot actually.  I said, I am a scientist currently working on a very important project regarding the mating habits of South American Cetacean, more specifically the Platanistoidea.  I think my work can be a great asset to the science world since little is really known about such creatures because they are rather, umm, difficult to access,” Jinki explained, the smile never falling from his face.  His excitement was tangible as he took any and all opportunities to share his fascination with others.

 

The woman merely blinked at him for a moment, apparently trying to gauge if he was attempting to be funny or if he was in fact being serious.  “And what exactly does all that mean?”

 

“I— I am studying the mating cycles of river dolphins,” Jinki said quietly.  Hating the idea of ‘dumbing down’ his profession.  There was so much more to it but no one seemed to understand him when he tried to explain fully.

 

“I see,” she responded, turning back to her computer to input this new information into the insurance assessment form she was currently completing for Jinki.  “So you study fish in—“

 

“Dolphins ma’am.  Not fish.  They are very different things.  Ichthyology isn’t my area of expertise.  Cetology is the study of dolphins.  I am a cetologist,” Jinki corrected quickly.  He tried to keep his annoyance level down; it definitely wouldn’t help his case if he made her upset.  He really needed her to like him.  Or sympathize with him.  But really, did she not know the difference?  

 

“Of course, forgive me.  So you study dolphins, and this study will take place where exactly?” She questioned, maintaining her professional composure. 

 

“South America.”

 

“More specifically?”

 

“Peru, Boliva and Brazil most likely.  The Platanistoidea are most commonly found in the river basin but they do travel depending on the seasons so who really knows where I will end up!” Jinki answered, his mind filling with dreams of scouring the vast murky waters of the Amazon to find his prize of freshwater dolphins.  They were just so awe-inspiring.  He had obviously seem gray dolphins before, but never pink or blue.  It was the experience of a lifetime and he wasn’t about to let it slip through his fingers. 

 

“And by river you mean?”
 

“The Amazon river of course!”

 

“Of course,” she said dryly, twirling her pencil rather absent-mindedly as she looked over the information on the screen.  “Well Mr. Lee, can you tell me some more about this work you are going to be doing?”

 

“Sure!  The river dolphin is included in the paraphyletic group of the Platanistoidea and is in fact the largest of its kind to spend its life in freshwater.  As I’m sure you know, all dolphins are actually mammals rather than fish, a common mistake I assure you, and they breath oxygen like you and me!  The river dolphin in particular is the most curious creature too; it can turn their heads a full 180 degrees!  And their snout, commonly referred to as a beak, is almost two feet long, over 50 centimeters!  It is really amazing stuff ma’am!  And like all dolphins, they feed on crustaceans and small fish such as catfish or piranha.  Their gestation period is similar to that of humans and—”

 

“I’m sorry did you say piranha?” the receptionist finally interjected, her eyes widened in alarm.

 

“Well yes,” Jinki conceded.  He was kind of hoping she would miss that part of his speech to be quite honest.  She had let him talk for far longer than the last insurance agent and he was beginning to get his hopes up.

 

“Piranha as in a fish that preys on flesh?” she asked in clarification.

 

“That is correct!  Earlier I was afraid your high school education might have failed you but you obviously know your stuff!  I can assure you though; piranhas aren’t nearly as dangerous as the media makes them out to be.  Too many science fiction movies I’m afraid.  They are quite harmless really.  No real danger to humans.  Well, not unless you have an obvious wound when you get in the water or something.  Then they would probably attack you.  Anyway, they really aren’t a major concern.  Anacondas however, now that is a different story.  I’ll have to be on the lookout for those.  Should be pretty hard to miss though, I hear they are the length of a school bus sometimes!”  

 

“Anacondas— Please Mr. Lee, how exactly do you plan to study these fascinating water creatures?” she asked, visibly ruffled for Jinki’s words.

 

“Well my lab has fully equipped me with the necessary underwater gear and lighting for such a task and I completed the scuba training last summer when I was vacationing in Australia so I think I am as prepared as I will ever be.”

 

“Scuba training?  And you plan to do this alone?” she asked.

 

“Unfortunately yes, while I am always looking for volunteers, so far I am the only one planned for the trip,” Jinki said solemnly.  He couldn’t understand why anyone would pass on such an exciting trip.  It was the experience of a lifetime.  A scientific gold mine if they could complete the project.  His name would be in all the textbooks and he could proudly tell everyone, ‘I did that.’  It was his dream.

 

“I can’t ever imagine why,” she muttered, sarcasm beginning to drip into her tone.

 

“Well it shouldn’t be too difficult to find a local with a boat to take me around though so I don’t foresee any real problems in that area,” Jinki offered, his enthusiasm dropping as he began to take in her attitude.

 

“Sir, if I may, I don’t think you are the kind of clientele we are really looking for here.  We are here to provide insurance in the case of an accident or some other unforeseeable circumstance.  However, your career path seems to be a rather dangerous one and I’m sorry but, we can’t insure you for a journey like that,” she told him, not even bothering to consult the computer screen before making her assessment. 

 

“I can assure you, it isn’t any more dangerous than your standard pencil-pushing job I—”

 

“I’m sorry Mr. Lee.  For future reference, there are quite a few ‘triggering words’ you might say in the insurance business.  Things like piranhas or anaconda would fall into the category.  Any word that makes the average person think of imminent death is usually not something that you can get insured for.  Please never call again but I wish you the best of luck finding your dolphins.  You seem like a lovely person so please don’t die,” with a final forced smile she nodded him pointedly to the door.

 

Jinki nodded sadly, ‘Thank you for your time.” 

 

He made his way outside, sighing in defeat.  That was the sixth insurance company this week that had denied him.  Did people really think piranhas were that dangerous or something?  No, that was just crazy talk; everyone knew there was nothing to fear just because a few fish had overly developed teeth.   

 

He pulled out his list, marking off yet another company name of possibilities, but with a spring in his step set out for the next one.  Nothing could stand between Jinki and his dream because he was a man on a mission.  Someone would recognize his passion.  He just knew it.  Give it time.  Persistence was key.  He was going to be the name in all those textbooks someday because he was Lee Jinki, practicing cetologist and lover of Platanistoidea.  His resolve was set in stone as he checked his list, picking another company to try.  Somebody would take a chance on him.

 


 

I have a headache so this will have to be read again later

I can't do it right now

And this is far longer than I imagined

And I had to read a whole lot about Amazon River Dolphins

Because I wanted him to sound like a pretentious

And really because all that he said was real

And I got distracted by piranha videos

But I really enjoyed this prompt

Jinki alone in the Amazon is a recipe for disaster.