Day 9

From the Abyss

 

Day 9 —What was your favorite childhood toy?

Jongyu

Calvin & Hobbs knock off

Word Count: 518

 


 

“What should we do today?” Jonghyun asked, feet already itching to go out and do something but not wanting to leave the warmth of his bed until that ‘something’ was actually determined.   

 

“Ummm we could play Space Invasion?  Your mom just got that new kitchen thingy, let’s go get the box and build a space ship,” Onew suggested with a heavy yawn, one floppy ear falling down across his eyes as he spoke. 

 

“Nah, we played Space Invasion yesterday.  There are only so many alien life forces we can conquer before it gets repetitive.  Besides, I’m not ready to be ruler of the whole galaxy yet, too much responsibility.  Maybe tomorrow,” Jonghyun countered with a heavy sigh. 

 

“Dinosaur Hunter then?” the bunny suggested, squirming a bit to get comfortable, finally managing to get his fur to lie flat against the cotton sheets and let out a huff of contentment.

 

“Pass.  I have to see Susie at school, better not waste the weekend too,” Jonghyun responded flippantly. 

 

“Wanna search for buried treasure?” Onew suggested doubtfully.

 

“Mom cleaned out the penny jar last week,” Jonghyun replied, shooting down yet another suggestion.

 

“We could always build a fort in the living room,” the rabbit was hardly making an effort to come up with suggestions now.  The bed was just so toasty in comparison to the frigid winter air.  Onew would much rather make a day out of lying in bed but Jonghyun would never go for that.

 

“I know!  Let’s go sledding!” Jonghyun exclaimed, finally catching sight of the white flurries outside his window.  Excitement was already bleeding into his tone at the prospect of a snowball fight. 

 

“We should stay inside.  It looks really cold out,” Onew protested.

 

“Oh you worry too much!  Come on!” Jonghyun didn’t wait for a reply, ignoring the cold floor biting at his bare feet as he pulled them both out of the bed and ran to find his mother.  They couldn’t very well play out in the snow without breakfast first after all.

 

~~~

 

Jonghyun-ah, don’t take Onew outside.  He will get all dirty again,” his mother scolded rather insistently.

 

“Did he ask you to say that?  He has been trying to get out of this all morning,” Jonghyun told her exasperatedly before turning to the stuffed rabbit in his hands, “You are so boring Onew.  Come on!  We can go pelt Susie’s window with snowballs!”

 

“Fine, but I don’t want to hear any complaints when I have to wash him again.  I swear; you are far too old to carry around a stuffed animal anyway.  And don’t you dare go bother Suzie!” Jonghyun’s mother replied shortly.

 

Jonghyun and Onew shared an eye roll before Jonghyun was dragging him back up the stairs to get dressed.  They had a big day ahead of them.

 

~~~

 

“Ah— Ahhhh— AHHCHOO!”

 

“I told you we should have stayed inside,” Onew said simply, allowing Jonghyun to squeeze him just a bit too tightly as his human pulled into a warm, needy hug.  At least today Onew would get what he wanted, all day in the nice warm bed.

 


 

Ummm yeah.  I love Calvin and Hobbs more than anything. 

I originally started this prompt with a "Jinki and his stuffed bunny Flopsy" that he takes to college with him and has like a reminiscing montage or something... then it became Calvin and Hobbs au.  Then I decided Jonghyun fit the Calvin character better.  But then I remembered that Calvin was like stupid smart and introspective and used a ton of big words.  Jonghyun doesn't fit that aspect of Calvin's character at all... but it was too late to change it.  And I couldn't very well leave Jinki out of it entirely.  Idk.   This whole thing feels weird to me.