Chapter One

Heartquake

Donghae stayed perfectly emotionless as the guards sent him a glare while checking his name. He didn't utter a word, way too used to their provoking gaze to care, only watching them go to the locked backroom to take his belongings. His ulgy orange uniform was horribly contrasting with the prison guards's working suit. Shortly after, the big man came back with a small iron box including some of his old clothes and ID papers. Still silent, he slightly bowed to the guards and went to change his outfit in another room.

The grey and dirty walls of the prison were oppressing Donghae, giving him the impulse to hurry up so he would finally escape this cursed place. He shot a glance at his old orange outfit, not regretting it even once before he took his leave, walking past some other security guards. It seemed like it took him an eternity to get out of this place. With every steps he made towards the exit, he began to take more and more conscience of his hard breathing, his tired body he was practically dragging after so many years stuck in that awful place. He noticed more than ever the presence and the glares of the officers, the noise coming from his old fellows, the destroying feeling those walls gave to anybody had the horrible fate to take a step here. He held his sweater tight against his chest while clenching his jaw as he stared longingly at the imposing door few meters in front of him. All he could see was the rays of sunshine he could vaguely distinguish through the dirty windows of the door. Finally, he thought, finally I'm free. His heart was thumping loudly in his ears when the doors opened before him.

And then, he saw everything. He saw everything he had been deprived of for the past years. He watched in awe the green and beautiful forest surrounding the prison he was leaving, the roads and the sky and the birds and simply everything. He took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh air that smelled like freedom as much as he could. Without wasting any seconds, he walked away from the jail without glancing back and headed towards the bus. He nodded at the driver who simply ignored him, before he went to sit down at a random seat at the back of the vehicle near the window. He let his head fall back on the headrest with a heavy sigh. He gazed at the landscape, at the random village and plants he could see, feeling as if he was coming back to life.

His heart still felt as if it had been crushed into million pieces, but Donghae wasn't surprised. He had predicted since long that he wouldn't come, despite all he had sacrificed for him by coming here. He snorted darkly and crossed his legs. Disappointment and anger rushed through his veins, boiling dangerously as he clenched his jaw.

"What an ." He gritted through his teeth.

 

 

 

"What an !" Hyukjae cursed loudly as he slammed his fist on the desk. "That ing little -...!"

Kyuhyun glanced at the older over his phone before he went back to playing at his game as Eunhyuk continued to complain endlessly while walking furiously around the wide office. "I swear to God, if Mother wasn't so crazy about him, I'd kill him. Right here, right now."

 

"And if you even stood a chance, right?" Kyuhyun snorted. "You can't possibly harm him with that weak body and brain of yours."

 

"Shut up and let me imagine the blissful moment my hands will finally go for his throat and choke him to death. Oh, that'd feel so damn good!"

 

Lee Hyukjae, better known as Eunhyuk when working, let himself fall down on his chair and leaned back in it with a long and tired sigh. The young man looked exactly like the brilliant businessman he was ; his expensive tuxedo revealed his well-built body, while his attitude shined charisma and elegance. His dark hair were styled in a way that showed how young he still was despite his high status in society. His single-lidded eyes glanced at his best friend briefly, pouting slightly because the younger had been ignoring him almost the whole time.

Cho Kyuhyun and himself had known each other for the longest time. When his late father had urged him to pick out an assistant so he would be able to work peacefully, Hyukjae had immediately chose him without any hesitation. Not only did they understand each other perfectly, but the handsome younger brunette was undeniably smart. If Kyuhyun had wanted it, and if the Leesan Corporation didn't have for legacy to be ruled by the Lee's, surely he would have became its best PDG ever.

Kyuhyun then noticed Hyukjae's gaze on him and raised an eyebrow at him. Stubbornly, Hyukjae looked away, trying to kill inwardly again and again the man he hated the most at the current moment. From the large French window, up at the next to last floor of the company offices, he could see an overall scene of Seoul's business center. The sky was growing more and more grey, as if it was reflecting his awful mood. He watched absent-mindedly the first drops of rain falling on the city, until it turned out into pouring rain and awful storm. Too engrossed into his own thoughts, Hyukjae almost missed the phone ringing until Kyuhyun's deep voice answered the call with a professional tone. The young heir barely registered it when the other brunette informed him about the current situation of the company, only looking up when he heard Kyuhyun mention the name of the person he loathed the most, who was apparently on his way to the office but stuck in a traffic jam at few streets away.

Eunhyuk nodded slightly, staring at the terrible weather again, hoping that that man would end up soaking wet.

 

 

 

Donghae's wet clothes stuck on his tanned skin as rain continued to pour endlessly on him. He pulled his sweater's hoodie over his head, ignoring the fact he was basically drowning into his own soaked outfit because of the damn storm. People were glancing at him from under their umbrellas, sometimes pitying him and most of the time mocking him. But Donghae didn't give a , he barely registered any comments people could say as he continued to walk, finding his way through the streets he knew by heart. It had been such a long time he had walked through those streets, heading toward his best friend's house. He felt anticipation and impatience growing in the pit of his stomach as he recognized the nearby convenience store he used to go with his best friend. Finally, he stopped in front of an old building, stuck between a Chinese restaurant and a book shop, staring at the last floor window.

It seemed almost unreal for him to walk freely like this after seven years when his every moves had been controlled. He felt free and careless, a grin almost spreading on his face. He knew he should have been happy, but his face stayed emotionless as he pushed the door of the building open. No emotions were showed on his features as he climbed the stairs up. With slight hesitation, Donghae glanced at the wooden door before he knocked at it, wondering with nervousness how will react his best friend and his younger sister when they will see him. But not even a minute later, the door burst open and a body crashed against his, almost making him gasp for air. He blinked his eyes, recognizing immediately the familiar tiny body of his sister in his arms, crying against his chest as the short man at the door frame gaped at him.

After so many years, a tiny smile finally showed on Donghae's face.

 

 

 

"Here, Oppa." Yoona beamed as she handed him a cup of hot chocolate. Donghae smiled weakly at her and ruffled her hair gently. "Do you want to eat anything? I'll cook it for you."

 

"You're sweet, Yoona." He said softly. "Can you make me some Bulgogi, please? And Kimchi Jigae. And Deokbokki and Samgyetang and vegetables pancakes and wontons. Order Jajangmyeon when you're at it." Yoona nodded eagerly and skipped towards the kitchen.

 

"Then don't feed you in jail?" Sungmin laughed when she wasn't in sight anymore.

 

"Only when you begin to starve." Donghae joked back with a small smirk.

 

"So now you're really free? I mean, you're not released on parole or something, right?"

 

"Nope. I'm completely free. Totally, absolutely free."

 

"That's great." Sungmin sighed with relief. "I'm sorry I didn't come fetch you but since it's Sunday, Yoona is at home and I didn't want to bring her to this kind of place."

 

"You did good." Donghae said as he glanced at his sister's fragile figure. "I don't want her to see this part of my life. Not yet."

 

"Was he here? I bet he wasn't, no?"

 

"Who, Siwon?" Donghae snorted darkly as he leaned back in the chair. "Of course that son of a wasn't there. It's been five ing years he didn't come to visit me, why would he come see me when I'm released?"

 

"I'm sorry Donghae." Sungmin repeated in a mumbled. "I know he meant a lot for you."

 

"Right. He did. And I guess he still does. But I have to stop fooling myself. I ing went to jail to save his career and his pitiful . All he could do to make it up was to go marry someone else. And a woman on top of that." His words were low and menacing.

Siwon didn't say anything because he knew it was unnecessary.

Siwon and Donghae had always appeared like the perfect couple for him. They were so much in loved with each other and they had promising career before them. Donghae had been studying Literature and Philosophy with the dream of being a university professor at the Great University of Seoul, and back then he was always the best student of his promotion. However, all his plans of a beautiful future had been shattered around him when he was accused of a murder. Except Sungmin knew Donghae didn't kill anybody, although the brunette never confirmed his suspicions. How could a genuinely nice man like him could harm anybody? Something told him that Choi Siwon, his ex-lover, had something to do with all this mess ; for the first years, there wasn't one day the man wouldn't come visit Donghae at jail.

But now, seven years had went by and everything had changed. When Siwon had announced his marriage with the older widow of Leesan Corporation, Sungmin almost fainted at the news - he even received an invitation at the wedding. The strawberry blonde didn't understand his motivations but he could understand Donghae's deep sorrow and anger. The brunette had sacrificed everything he cherished the most just for the sake of the man he loved, and he had ended up betrayed at the end.

Donghae was usually so full of happiness and childish, a smile always on his face. Now, his eyes had lost their joyful and innocent gleam, replaced by dark and bitter orbs that showed his tough life. The brunette was now all muscles and had grown up quite a lot during his journey at jail - if you could call that a journey. He had became very handsome, but even Sungmin didn't have the heart to be happy for this. He was too sorry for his best friend, although he knew pity was the last thing Donghae needed.

The latter felt Sungmin's piercing gaze on him but merely ignored him. He absent-mindedly hummed and watched his younger sister bustling around the kitchen. She had became really pretty, just like their mother. He felt guilty and sad that he didn't get to witness her growing up into such a beautiful woman. He was her only family after all, apart from Sungmin who was like their real brother. Donghae's and Yoona's parents had been killed in a car accident when Donghae was only 16. He didn't want to leave her sister to a foster home and had decided to take responsability of her by himself ; at that time, she was only 9.

Yoona cheerfully came back with a tray full of fuming dishes that she put on the table. Before she could skip away again, Donghae grabbed her by the waist and pulled her on his lap. Yoona yelped in surprise and then giggled when he kissed her cheek. "So young lady. Have you been a good girl with Sungmin when I was away?"

 

"Of course I was. I'm not a child anymore, Oppa."

 

"So you say." Donghae retorted with a teasing smirk and she slapped his arm. "How old are you now anyway? Almost 18?"

 

"I'm 17, Oppa."

 

"You still look as if you were 10 for me. Anyways, do you study well?"

 

"Yes, Oppa, yes..." Yoona rolled her eyes in fake exasperation.

 

"Sweetie," Sungmin piped up with a smile. "Tell your brother what you want to do in the future."

Curiously, Donghae turned to look at her sister. The latter grimaced at glared weakly at Sungmin, before she let out a determined sigh.

 

"Donghae oppa, I want to become an idol."

 

The latter didn't say anything, only staring at her sister with blank eyes. "You? An idol?" He lifted his eyebrows in disbelief. "You sure you don't want to be something like... The manager of an idol? I mean, you're cute and everything but -..."

 

"Oppa!" Yoona exclaimed outraged as Sungmin giggled loudly at them. "I can be an idol! I'll prove it to you."

 

"Sure, sure..." He laughed lightly. "Now let Oppa eat. I've craved for Jajangmyeon for years." Seven, to be exact...

 

 

 

When everybody was asleep and only the noise of cars coming from the streets could be heard, only Donghae had his eyes wide opened. He was staring at the ceiling, his younger sister snuggled up against his arm as she had insisted to sleep with him at least tonight. The latter had playfully refused at first but truth was he had missed Yoona so much he wasn't in situation to say no to her anymore. At least for now.

When he had left jail, he had thought that tonight would have been the very first night he would sleep peacefully without any worries and concerns keeping him away from dreamland. Apparently, he had been wrong ; he didn't felt sleepy at the slightest. The mattress was too soft compared to what he was used back in his cell. He turned his head to the side and gazed at Yoona thoughtfully, proud to be able seeing her now.

He could hear Sungmin's faint snoring from the other room, his best friend probably exhausted as well. After all, when Donghae was sent to jail, the latter had no other choice but to ask Sungmin to take care of his sister. He was forever grateful to him because he had accepted with a smile, saying there were no problem and that they would be waiting for him to come back. Because of him, the strawberry blonde man probably didn't have anything else in his life except Yoona and his work to keep them living. Donghae wanted to make it up for his best friend, but truth was he didn't how ; it wasn't easy for an ex-convict to get back into a normal life. He wasn't ready for it yet anyway. He let out a small sigh and carefully got up without waking his sister up and went to the window. Outside, lights coming from crowded streets enlightened the city and contrasting with the darker neighborhoods. He found it beautiful but sad at the same time ; there were so many people shining with happiness out there, but so many people drowning into their dark sorrow as well.

His mind began to wander again before his eyes landed on one of the highest building he could see, probably around the business center of the city. Leesan Corporation. Donghae raised an eyebrow when he recognized the familiar logo of the company. He didn't remember where he had seen it but it seemed like he had already seen it somewhere, maybe in jail when guards were kind enough to let them borrow newspapers - which was awfully rare.

He leaned against the window's frame quietly, only thinking about his past, his present and his future. What was he going to do now? He needed to earn some money to pay Sungmin back and pay Yoona's study - he didn't know how much wanting to be an idol was going to cost him. I probably could get a job in a store or a restaurant, he thought absent-mindedly. His CV wasn't going to attract a lot of people if "expelled from university" and "ex-convict" were written on it. His snorted darkly, thinking of his past dreams of being an university professor. He had always loved Literature and Philosophy and now he was left with only nothing. He wasn't going to go anywhere anymore. Only because of Choi Siwon.

His chest tightened suddenly, making him grimaced with anger. This name that usually brought him happiness and love, only made him furious and sad now. He hoped he was back to his first year of university. He hoped he had never met him. He hoped he was happy.

A muffled noise came from Sungmin's bedroom. Donghae glanced behind him and found his best friend shuffling toward him, rubbing his eyes like a child. The brunette raised his eyebrows at his outfit.

"You still wear those ridiculous pink pajamas?"

 

"They're comfy," Sungmin retorted sleepily. "Aren't you sleeping?"

 

"Can't."

Sungming didn't say anything but dragged the brunette in the kitchen. He made Donghae sit down at the table and prepared them a cup of hot milk. Thanking him with a nod, they drank silently, both engrossed into their own thoughts.

"What are you going to do now?" Sungming asked quietly. "Get a job?"

 

"Yeah, probably. I have to find a house too."

 

"What? Why?"

 

"I've bothered you for way too long, Ming. Seven years. That's enough."

 

"Don't be stupid, Donghae." Sungmin rolled his eyes. "You're not bothering anybody."

 

"If it's a way to tell me you're pitying or something, you -..."

 

"Donghae," Sungmin cut him angrily as he narrowed his eyes at him. "Stop telling bull, would you? I'm not pitying your poor , for God's sake. I'm just -... Aren't we best friends? Aren't we a family, even? We should help each other no matter what. And we were already roommates before, it's not as if I'm not used to your snoring."

 

"I do not snore." Donghae protested and a small grin crept on his face. "Thanks, Ming. I really owe you a lot on this one."

 

"Chill, dude, it's ok. I can also help you find a job, if you want. The club where I work needs a new barman and a new chef, maybe I can get you in touch with the boss? You were always good with cooking and you're handsome enough to stand behind the bar, I believe."

 

"I do not cook either, Sungming." Donghae rolled his eyes playfully. "But I'll start with that, I guess. It's not like I have any other choices, right? Thank you a damn lot, really Ming."

Sungmin nodded with an understanding smile, both finishing their mug of milk. "Come on, finish this and I promise you'll be sleeping like a baby."

Shortly after, they both agreed wordlessly to go back to sleep. Donghae stared at the door closing behind his best friend before he laid down next to Yoona and pulled her in his embrace. Slowly, like the after effect of a shock, hot and pained tears fell down his cheeks. He sobbed quietly throughout the whole night, almost not sleeping at all, his face buried into his younger sister's hair.

 

 

 

Donghae let out a curse under his breath as he eyed the coffee machine of the kitchen darkly. There were too much buttons and lights and he didn't understand anything. He glanced at the wall clock and ruffled his hair with exasperation, giving a last glare at the stubborn device before he went in the living-room to wake his sister up for school. Yoona was sleeping snuggled up in a ball in the middle of the sofa-bed they had prepared the prior night. He sat down heavily on the edge of the mattress and her hair gently, inquiring her to wake up softly until she finally opened her eyes with a tired groan. Donghae told her to wake up and go clean up, but as soon as he stopped talking, the young girl her other side and went back to sleeping with a little satisfied sigh. The brunette shook his head with amusement before he shook her shoulder a little harder. "Come on, sleepy head," He called. "I'll drive you to school."

Almost immediately, Yoona sat up on her bed brightly and shot him a hopeful look. Donghae chuckled and ruffled her hair before he got up and told her to wash up.The young girl nodded happily and went to lock herself into the bathroom. When Donghae began to hear water flowing down the shower, Sungmin appeared with a yawn in the living-room. 

"How are you doing, bro?" Donghae greeted him as he cleaned up the sofa-bed. Sungmin only nodded sleepily. "Can I borrow your car? I'd like to drive Yoona to school."

 

"Don't talk to me right now," Sungmin mumbled. "I need coffee."

 

Donghae watched his best friend shuffling to the kitchen where he pushed numerous buttons and lights on the coffee machine and suddenly, the dark liquid flew in the cup the brunette had prepared. The strawberry blonde man drank the first gulp with a relieved expression before he landed his sight on his waiting best friend.

"Sorry, what were you saying again?"

 

"Your car."

 

"Oh right. Yeah, of course you can. And then maybe we can go to that club I told you about? It's on the way back. Sort of."

 

"But it's 8 o'clock in the morning, is it opened?"

 

"Yeah, it's a restaurant during the day."

 

Donghae nodded thoughtfully, agreeing silently. Yoona then joined them with a bright smile, wearing her uniform proudly, and after a quick breakfast, they drove her to her school. Donghae promised her to come fetch her when school was done and watched her greet some of her friends. She seemed happy, and that made him happy himself. With a small satisfied smile, he gave his attention back on the road. Sungmin and himself only shared comfortable and meaningless conversations on their way to the former working place, even turning on the radio and singing along the lyrics, although Donghae was more like smiling and listening to his best friend than having fun himself. The strawberry blonde was almost doing all the talking, like in the past, babbling about the fact Donghae should go do some shopping soon. Eventually, Donghae parked next to a club Sungmin showed him with his finger. The latter continued to babble as he got off the car and the brunette followed him quietly. The place looked rather high-class with the silver letters of the logo shining proudly the words Heenim's Paradise. They walked to the back door and Sungmin went in cheerfully, urging Donghae to walk faster behind him.

 

"Heechul hyung!" He called while greeting the other workers. Donghae was surprised to see so much people already even though it was barely 9 o'clock in the morning.

 

"Isn't it my favorite rabbit boy?" A charismatic voice yet slightly high-pitched voice raised from the bar where a handsome-looking man waved at them enthusiastically, a cheeky smirk on his lips. He winked at Sungmin then noticed Donghae behind the latter. "And who is this? Good morning, Hottie!"

 

Donghae raised an eyebrow at the word 'hottie' but Sungmin was already replying as he tugged on his sleeve so he would come closer. "Hyung, it's my childhood best friend, Lee Donghae. He needs a job and you said you had to look for a new barman. I thought he might do the deal, no?"

 

"Good morning, Sir," Donghae mumbled, uncomfortable under the boss' sudden intense gaze. "My name is Lee Donghae, nice to meet you."

 

Heechul didn't reply, only scrutinizing the brunette almost rudely ; Lee Donghae was incredibly handsome and something in his eyes gave a thrilling vibe to whoever had the chance to meet them. He almost looked like a y bad boy, if something in his dark orbs didn't show a deep sorrow, making Heechul wonder what had happened in his past, his curiosity itching.

"Well of course!" He suddenly exclaimed after a rather long silence. "Who am I to refuse such a great piece of meat working in my paradise, huh? Do you know how to make cocktails and such? I'd like you to be a barman, you'll attract people around."

 

"I made some during high school and university, but then I -... I didn't have time anymore. But I'm a quick learner."

 

"Ooh, good to hear, I like that!" Heechul exclaimed with excitation. "From now on, call me hyung, kid! I'll show you, you can start tonight."

 

 

 

Eunhyuk leaned back in his chair as he rubbed his eyes tiredly. Not wasting any seconds, Kyuhyun was already staking up the pile of papers Hyukjae had just finished treating and put an other folder almost immediately. The young heir let out a pleading whine at his best friend but the later merely ignored him with a smirk and went back to his own duties. Sighing, Hyukjae pouted slightly and opened the folder with a grimace, which this time was about a contract with Indonesian and Vietnamese firms to product Leesan Corporation's orders for microelectronic products. Grabbing a pencil, he focused on the lines of conditions the two countries had sent him.

Eunhyuk had been harassed by work for the past two days and he could only blame himself. He turned the page absent-mindedly, recalling the reason why he was so angry at Choi Siwon the prior day ; his mother had decided to give full management of the Japanese branch to that greedy leech. Scared that this bastard might also take over other parts of the business, Hyukjae had decided to take care of the rest before Siwon would take the opportunity to gain ground.

The very first day his mother had told him about her remarriage with a certain Choi Siwon, he hadn't been really against it ; although he had still felt his chest tightened at the memory of his dear late father, he knew his mother deserved happiness and why not wed again? However, he hadn't expected his future step-father to be only five years older than himself and looking like a damn flower boy coming straight from a drama. He had tried at first to give him some credits because he didn't knew him after all. But his suspicions were revealed true very quickly ; he remembered the time he had caught the man rummaging through his father's files and private belongings. Moreover, Siwon hadn't stopped since the beginning to take more and more importance in the company. Hyukjae had tried many times to warn her mother about this son of a , but the woman wouldn't hear anything ; she was in love and very deeply even. Himself didn't even know if Siwon had feelings for Mrs. Lee-Choi. But he didn't have the heart to hurt his mother anymore ; she was fragile and weak with age. He wanted her to be happy and had decided to have this battle alone without her help.

With a sudden determination revived, Eunhyuk glared at the folder he was currently working on and  began to go through it thoroughly, until he was satisfied enough to sign the contract. Humphing proudly, he demanded with a wave of the hand another folder to his assistant, forgetting it was no other than Kyuhyun. The latter ended up throwing the said folder straight to his head. Grunting with annoyance, Eunhyuk mumbled an excuse and went back to his task.

Almost two hours later, they were both finally almost done, a small pile still on the large wooden desk of the young heir. The latter let out an exhausted groan, let his forehead collide against the desk and reached blindly for his glass of water. His back ached because he didn't move for such a long time.

 

"It's almost dinner time already," Kyuhyun commented. "We should finish those quickly and then go home."

 

"You kidding?" Hyukjae protested. "I won't go home tonight. Let's go out somewhere fun!"

 

Kyuhyun shrugged. "If you want, whatever. But I thought you were going to spend the night with Hyoyeon."

 

"We broke up. Last week or something. But still friends, at least, which is a good thing because she's a nice girl. Guess things just didn't work."

 

"So that's why you want to go out. To get laid." Kyuhyun mischievously sniggered.

 

"No!" The other glared at him as he lifted his head up. "I just want to go out and dance a little."

 

"Right. Like I don't know what you're thinking." Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and handed him one of the last files. "Hurry up, if you want to go dance so much."

 

With a last contemptuous glare from Hyukjae, then spent another hour working before they finally finished all their due work for the next day. With a relieved sigh, the young heir brightly turned all the lights of his office off and dragged the younger behind him, heading toward the parking where was the older's car.

After a short debate, it was finally Kyuhyun who decided their next destination ; he had heard from one of his high school friend about a great place somewhere at the other end of Seoul where they could have fun peacefully. Stubbornly frowning because he had initially wanted to go to their usual club, Hyukjae kept pursuing his lips during the whole drive to the unfamiliar club. Kyuhyun only sniggered at him and Hyukjae did his best to ignore him until they ended up chatting comfortably as always. The GPS showed them the way to their destination with a monotonous voice but neither of them cared about it, the older absent-mindedly following the instructions on the board. They had already began to relax within the small vehicle, letting the music coming out from the radio calm their stressed out nerves because of work while their teasing nature came back after so much hours forced to keep serious. They felt as if they were younger again, throwing lame jokes all the time while laughing crazily without holding back.

Eventually, the red lights turned green and they finally reached a crowded street where people were lining up in front of a classy club. On top of it shined the silver letters Heenim's Paradise. Suddenly interested by the booming music he could faintly hear, the older parked his car a little further, hurrying himself to get off the car and joined the excited people waiting to finally go in. Kyuhyun loosened up his necktie, staring at the long queue. "You sure you want to go?" He grumbled reluctantly.

Immediately ignoring him, the young heir grabbed his arm and dragged him behind him until they reached the end of the line. They were probably going to wait for a good hour, but Hyukjae didn't care because he knew it was going to be worth it.

The baffles were booming a music following the current trend, simple enough to let the young people enjoy their moments in the middle of the crowded club. The DJ was switching the rhythm every now and then, adding electronic sounds and variations so they would never get bored. The music was so loud it gave the impression your heart was following the beat, thumping in your ears. Everybody seemed to have a good time, dancing, laughing, chatting, flirting and drinking.

Picking a rag, Donghae gazed at the mass of people gathered in the middle of the dance floor while wiping glasses on the counter bar. He was wearing a white shirt that contrasted nicely with his tanned skin. It was so hot in there that he had opened his first buttons at one point and his hair were charmingly disheveled, making him the hottest barman of the night. His dark orbs seemed to scrutinize his surroundings so intensely and with such a mysterious glitter that every customers were attracted to him, ordering more and more drinks just to keep talking to him. Himself was bored as hell, only forcing out a polite smile when a stubborn woman his arm. Mumbling out an excuse, Donghae walked away to Sungmin who finished to serve glasses of vodka to a young couple. They worked in silence, smiling charmingly at whoever ordered them a drink. This was something Donghae was used to ; smiling and almost flirting with people with the goal of sending as many drinks as possible. But he knew he needed money and that wasn't because he felt slightly uncomfortable to stand there under some crazy people's hungry eyes that he was going to give up. He let his gaze wander around the wide room, distracting himself from his task and spotted two young men at the entrance. He raised an eyebrow when he saw the way they were dressed which clearly showed they had came here right after work and that they were businessmen on top of that. They were both really good-looking, the shorter wearing an adorable gummy-smile and single-lidded eyes while the taller had intense brown orbs. Donghae absent-mindedly put the Martini he had just finished in front of his customer while observing the two men approaching the dance floor. At that moment, the music suddenly got louder while its rhythm abruptly changed into something faster and a little bit more aggressive. Sungmin tried to shout something at him but he didn't hear anything, nodding his head in agreement anyway. Silently, he figured the strawberry blonde man had decided to take break when he noticed the older leaving his position behind the bar. Shaking his head with amusement, Donghae forced himself to hear another female customer's order before he went back to gaze at the two guys ; he didn't know why, but he liked to observe them. They were interesting in their own ways, and the shorter really danced like a God. He was moving smoothly and sharply as the same time, even gaining the other people's attention.

All of a sudden, Donghae noticed Sungmin standing in the middle of the place, his arms wrapped around the tall guy. Raising his eyebrows, Donghae stared at him surprised. The hell, he thought as a snigger escaped his lips. He glanced at the odd couple, at the guy who danced well and then at his customer who threw him a seductive smile that made him want to throw up. "What can I do for you, Miss?" He smiled sweetly.

 

"I hope your on the menu," The girl said and a horrible alcohol scent reached Donghae's nose. "Are you?"

 

Certainly not. "I can always propose you a Tequilla."

 

"You'll help me drink it?"

Holding back from rolling his eyes in exasperation, Donghae practically shoved the filled glass in her hands and went to take care of other people at the other end of the bar with a tired sigh. After two beers and another Martini, Donghae turned slightly to face a guy who just showed up.

 

"What can I serve you?" He said half-heartedly.

 

"Do you have anything with strawberry?"

 

Surprised by the odd question, Donghae lifted his head up and found himself staring at the same guy who danced well and had that hypnotizing gummy smile. Blinking stupidly, he stopped in his track.

"I'm sorry, what?"

 

"Strawberry." Hyukjae repeated with a chuckle as he sat down on the stool. "I asked if you had strawberry."

 

"Oh, uh... I don't think so..."

 

"Thought so..." He said as he crunched up his nose. Hyukjae glanced quickly as the charming waiter before he asked for a Mojito. "You don't look as if you like this job, don't you?"

 

"Is it that obvious?" Donghae chuckled darkly. "I'm new, I actually started working three hours ago. And you, you don't look as if you want to dance anymore."

 

The customer pursued his lips into a pout and Donghae had to stop himself from staring at his lips. Cute.

 

"Actually, I do. It's just that my friend is some blonde guy's face and it's not funny."

 

Donghae looked up and indeed, Sungmin seemed to enjoy his free time, sharing a sloppy kiss with a guy he barely knew. "And I believe you friend is my friend's face."

 

"Oh really? And I was going to talk bad about him with you. We can always talk about that woman who almost you earlier."

 

"I prefer we do not," Donghae laughed as he gave him the Mojito he had commanded.

 

 

Hyukjae made a small grin. "My name's Hyukjae."

 

"Donghae."

 

They kept talking until one and then two hours went by, neither of them noticing it, engrossed into their innocent conversation. Donghae chuckled when Hyukjae began to complain about his step-father. Apparently, Hyukjae was sure the man was trying to steal the latter's company. Only enjoying the fact he was chatting almost normally with someone, Donghae nodded thoughtfully throughout the conversation and laughing every time Hyukjae began to insult his step-father childishly.

 

"Why don't you just talk about it with your mother?"

 

"Mom loves him," Hyukjae exclaimed. "Can you believe that? He's, like, only five, maybe six years older than me and my mother is heels over head for him."

 

"That's kinda screwed up, if you want my opinion."

 

"Thanks, but I already knew that."

 

Donghae threw a smirk at the other. "And you, how old are you anyway?"

 

"I'm 24."

 

"Wow, you're young. I mean, we're technically friends but I didn't know you could be a businessman so young."

 

"It's because it's my family's company," Hyukjae explained. "And since I sincerely loved - and still do love - my Dad, I want to protect whatever he left behind. And that mothering horse dude is trying to ruin everything Father had built up."

 

"Horse?" Donghae laughed out loud. "Did you just said 'horse'?"

 

"Yeah... Why, is it weird? Because he's really like a horse."

 

"No... Just, I had a friend I used to call 'horse' when I was angry at him." Donghae said thoughtfully. "He's also a son of a , so I found it funny, that's all."

 

"What did he do?"

 

"Honestly? He ruined my life."

 

"Oh," Hyukjae grimaced at he finished his third Mojito. "Rude."

 

"I know and I hope he's dying somewhere, with whoever old lady he's married with right now."

 

It was Hyukjae's turn to burst out laughing and Donghae permitted himself to grin maliciously. They were about to continue talking when suddenly, a hand grabbed Hyukjae's shoulder. Surprised, the latter turned around and widened his eyes when he realized who the owner of the hand was. His gaze immediately turning into a glare, he slapped the hand away and got up.

Donghae raised his gaze as well, wondering why Hyukjae looked so upset all of a sudden. He first looked at the hand that grabbed the other's shoulders, and then his arm and his shoulder, and suddenly he met two familiar eyes who stared stared straight back at him. Before Donghae could fully understand the current situation, his chest tightened painfully as his heart thumped harshly in him. The time around the three of them seemed to stop abruptly as questioning and shocked glances were shared. Nobody made a move at first, all of them trying to grasp the confusing situation.

Choi Siwon, was the first coherent thought that crossed Donghae's mind as he couldn't take his eyes off the tall man standing in front of him, just at the other side of the bar ; so close yet so far at the same time. He didn't know what he was thinking, what he was doing, or even what he was feeling. Was it sadness? Happiness? Hatred? All he knew was that Choi Siwon, the man for who he sacrificed so much, was right there, in front of him and as shocked as he was. Donghae had wanted to avoid him as much as possible. He didn't want to face someone who crushed everything he had preciously created. Maybe because he was scared to fall in love with him once again despite all the bad he had done to him. Or perhaps he was scared to kill him. Just like that, in the middle of the still crowded club, under the eyes of hundred people. He had already went to prison once, what would he lose if he went another time? So much, his mind screamed at him. I might lose so much. Yoona, Sungmin... So much. The bottle he was holding suddenly slipped through his hand and fell on the floor with a loud cringing noise. Going back into reality, he broke his eye contact with Siwon and bent down to clean up the mess he had just made. His heart was still thumping loudly in his ears, and his vision had suddenly turned red and blurry. Sungmin still wasn't back, probably having the fun of his life with the tall guy of earlier. Although he was sort of happy for him, the only thing he could think of at the current moment was that he badly needed the older help right now. His hands were shaking badly as he collected the broken pieces of glass on the floor and threw them in the nearby garbage. One of them suddenly sunk into the skin of one of his finger, making him wince slightly as he began to hear sputters. Calming himself, Donghae straightened up, fainting ignorance as he put his bleeding finger under water. He could feel Siwon glancing at him from time to time, but he did his best not to look back, only listening to their heated conversation. Hyukjae hadn't been lying to him ; they really weren't on good terms. Immediately, Donghae felt closer to the latter.

Donghae observed the way Hyukjae's facial expression was turning harder and harder and how his jaw was clenching hurtfully when Siwon was talking. And then he looked at Choi Siwon. Their eyes met briefly, just one second before the tallest man's gaze went back on Hyukjae. But it was enough for Donghae. Enough to understand never he would forgive him. 

It wasn't even because of what Siwon had done to Donghae, but what he had indirectly did to his family, to the persons he loved the most. He remembered his sister who was so extremely happy when she saw him the day before. And Sungmin who invited him in his house as if it was the most natural thing to do in the world. He remembered how many years he had stayed locked in a stinky cell just because of that pitiful ; seven years. 2520 days. 2520 days he didn't get to see Yoona and Sungmin. He missed their birthdays, his late parents' birthday, he missed the opportunities to become someone good and nice. 

He wanted to crush Choi Siwon. He wanted to make him feel even one quarter of what he had endured all those past years. If Choi Siwon really was Hyukjae's step-father, then it meant that rascal had went up to the top ; where he had always wanted to be. Donghae was not going to let it go like that ; he would do everything and anything to bring him down, to make him feel how cold and lonely it feels to be at the very bottom of the huge pyramid he had managed to climb up thanks to Donghae.

A revived rage fired up in him as his eyes turned cold and menacing.

 

"Look, Choi," Hyukjae gritted through his teeth. "I don't care about what you think, but I'm having fun right now. Now, get the hell outta here!"

 

"Hyukjae, it's late, we have important meetings tomorrow and -..."

 

"I know that! I don't need you, I won't let you order me around when it's me who is supposed to do that. Remember your place, Choi!"

 

"I am your step-father," Siwon's deep voice turned menacing and Donghae felt the urge to break a bottle of vodka on his head. "You have to give me respect and -..."

 

"Sir, I believe it isn't your business whether he wants to stay here or not." Donghae decided to speak up.

 

"Sorry?" Siwon spun around and stared at Donghae with wide eyes, his behavior becoming more hesitant. "This is not your business, Dong - I mean, Sir."

 

"I never said that," The other shrugged. "But if Hyukjae wants to have fun here, then he does whatever he want. Right?"

 

"Right," Hyukjae nodded with a thankful nod. "Donghae's right. I'm not underage, thank you very much."

 

"Hyukjae, you're only -"

 

"He's 24, for God's sak!. You are barely five years older than Hyukjae. Let him live!" Donghae rolled his eyes before he glared hatefully at Siwon who stepped back because of the intensity of his eyes. "We never know when we might suddenly lose seven ing years of our life."

 

Gulping nervously, Siwon stayed silent, staring at the both of them before he spoke up again. "How do you even know each other?"

 

"Simple," Donghae shrugged again as he quickly glanced at Hyukjae who stared at him curiously. "I'm his boyfriend."


I really didn't expect this chapter to turn so long and that wasn't even really agnsty (I think?). I told you guys, I'm not really good with angsty, but that's not love-triangle-angsty like. Well, barely. Kind of. Just a little bit. :P

I hope you liked this first chapter! I'm actually supposed to be studying instead of writing but I figured it's been a while I've posted the foreword and I have to give you guys something.

Btw, you're already 35+ subscribers! That's so sweet of you guys :') Thank youuuu <3

 

And ; HOLY ING FLIPPING FISH, SUPER SHOW 5 IN PARIS THIS YEAR, OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

 

PS : I'm sorry for any grammatical mistakes and everything but I really wanted to post this chapter today and now I have to study for a really important test tomorrow. I'm so sorry I love you guys <3 Your comments were so sweet :')

 

Thank you for reading ~ Please remember to comment and subscribe and upvote :">