Chapter 4 - Heartache

Crazy, Only You

 Until one day, I heard my father conversation on phone in his office in my way to his room, “Why don’t we get engaged my son, Hong Ki and your daughter, Seung Yeon. My wife is okay with it. She has told me before. It is for our company sake too,” “What arrange married. No, I’ll not. Mummy is also agreed with it. Luckily, I heard all of these today or not, I’ll be a husband of a stranger to me. How could they do this to me?

I go out from the office, go back home, straightaway go to my room. I pack my clothes and all my necessary things and go out back. I take a cab to a railway in Seoul town, I buy a ticket in special compartment to Gwangmyeong, and Jae Jin house is there. I set off around at 12.00 noon and arrive at 2.00 p.m. I had ever gone to Jae Jin house, so I know how to reach there. As I reached there I take a bus to his house. I want make a surprise on him and his family.

I push the doorbell and a guy opens the door, he is Jae Jin. “Hong Ki! What are you doing here?” He looks very shock. “I’ll tell you later,” “Eomma! Hong Ki is coming,” He calls his mother. “Hi, aunty!” I bow. “Hi! Let’s go in and clean yourself first,” She asks me to do so. I share a room with Jae Jin. He has many siblings, five including himself. After cleaning myself, we all have our tea and then I fall asleep on Jae Jin’s bed.

The next morning, I wake up first. I clean up myself and after I done it I open the window in the room. I see the morning dew on the leaves and the mist on the hill top. “Hong Ki! Close the window I’m cold!” Jae Jin complaints. “Okay! You want know how I can come here?” I ask him. “Oh why?” he sits. “Because my parents arrange a married for me with a stranger for me,” I relieve my pain. “Oh like that. Do you have any girl now?” he asks me. “Yes but she had disappeared,” “Where she went?” “I’ve no idea,” “Do you’ve found job here?” “Not yet,” he answers, sad. “Why don’t you go with me to Seoul and works with me in my father’s company?” “Sure! Why not?”

After a few days at Jae Jin’s house, I pack my entire thing and Jae Jin packs his things to go with me. We are now in Gwangmyeong train station. We get on the train and the tickets are on my treat. We choose to seat in special compartment but we get in the train using the door at the general compartment. As I step in, I see Eun Jo is sitting next to a guy. They look very happy. The station before us was Cheonan. Why I should see it? I know she notice me but I rapidly pull Jae Jin hand to the special compartment. It is hurt for me looking at her with the other guys. All this while, she is disappear and when she comebacks, she with her boyfriend. Who understands my heart now? Who feel this bad ache?

            As well as we reach home, Jae Jin asks me, “Why you suddenly keep quiet after you look at the girls on the train?” “Nothing!” “Hong Ki, where are you going all this while? I really miss you,” “Mummy and Daddy are liars. You want get me engaged with Seung Yeon right,”  “How do you know about it?” “I heard a conversation before,” “Okay, Hong Ki, it is just a suggestion. If you’ve someone else, you can marry her,” my mother pats her palm on my shoulder.

            Jae Jin starts working in our company. He tries his best and works with all his heart. I still feel the pain and still remember the incident in the train. How could she do this to me? Why? Why? Why? As I’m thinking alone in my room, I get a phone call.

“Yobosaeyo, Hong Ki hyung! Can you come to my house tomorrow? Tomorrow is my birthday. There will no other people coming. Only you and the rest of my family,” he says joyfully. “Oh sure I’ll come but can I bring along my best friend. Don’t worry he is nice too,” I ask for his permission. “Sure, okay bye. Meet you tomorrow,” Tomorrow is 11th November and it is Min Hwan birthday. What should I buy for him? “Jae Jin, help me!” I yell. “Why?” he comes to my room quickly. “Nothing, let’s go to the shopping mall now!” I say. “Oh, Okay! Let me change my shirt first,” he runs to his room.

            After a couple of minute, Jae Ji goes downstairs and we both go to the mall. We enter the mall as well as we reach there. I walk and Jae Jin suddenly walks to the different path, “Jae Jin, not there but here!” I show him a huge toy shop in front of us. “A toy shop? You’re childish enough Hong Ki,” He pulls my shoulder to the back. “Just shut up! I’ll tell you later,” I put my finger to my mouth. I go inside the toys shop that most likely a toys store. I go to the control car section. I look at all the cars I choose the red one. “So expensive, Hong Ki,” Jae Jin says. “Never mind,” I lead to the counter ahead to pay it. Then, we go home.

            “You buy it for who?” Jae Jin asks. “You’ll find it yourself tomorrow. Please follow me tomorrow too,” I tell him. “Mm… Okay!” We do all regular things that we set daily. We chat around and go out for fresh breath-taking. Every day is same, nothing special after I lose her. She has a new boyfriend now. She forgets about me and I’m very sure she has found her love. “No, no, you must fight for your love, Hong Ki!” I say to myself in front of mirror.

            Now, it is late on midnight. I still awake and think about tomorrow. I’ve to speak with her personally. Either she loves me or not, I’ll still say to her that I love her. Looking out of the window and I can see the brightest star on the sky. I hope that star would be Eun Jo and I’ll be the dark sky. Stars always give light to night and I wish she will give me light after this. I’m thinking alone until I get asleep.

            I wake up, cleaning myself like usually I do. “Tok! Tok! Tok! Jae Jin, wake up now my friend, It’s already 8.00 a.m.” I knock the door. “Wait downstairs Hong Ki!” He instructs me. “Okay!” I’m leading to the lounge sitting on the couch there. “Hong Ki! Let’s have our breakfast first,” My mum pull my hand. “Never mind Mummy, I lost my appetite,” “Hong Ki!” She blinks her eyes. “No!” “I know you we’re hurt right now, but please don’t be like this, please don’t follow your feeling right now, the patience and the kindness of your love can bring you happiness, it is shine for your love. Please trust me. It’s okay if you don’t want eat your breakfast now,” she says understand. “Thank you, Mummy! But how do you know I’m hurt now?”“Hong Ki, I’m your mother,” she holds both of my shoulder. “Okay!” “Hong Ki, let’s go now! I’m curious,” Jae Jin chuckles.