Chapter 1 - Introducing

Crazy, Only You

 “Tok! Tok! Tok!” Someone knocks my room door. “Hong Ki my dear, please wake up!” shouts my mummy. “Mummy, I still sleepy and I want to rest now.” I refuse. “Hong Ki, now is already 8.30 am. Wake up, your father wants talk to you. He is waiting for you in dining room,” My patient mother persuades me to wake. “Mummy, could you ask Daddy come here and talk to me here,” I rub my eyes. “No, Hong Ki! I can’t. Please respect him. He is your father,” She tries to open the locked door. “Alright, alright,” I nod in front of a quite massive mirror, alone.

            My full name is Lee Hong Ki and I’m the only child of Lee family. That’s why I’m clingy mostly to my mother. I’m just finished up my study a few months ago and now I still stay in home because I want take enough rest before I begin working with my father in his company. Tired of studying all this while always be my excuse. I live happily in a wealthy family. My father own a big company but we never forget to the unlucky people. My father is the biggest sponsor or supporter for an orphan house in the town called ‘Sunshine’. He always goes there for a visit.

            I clean myself and go downstairs to meet my father. “Good morning, Dad!” I smile excitedly. “What is it?” I ask. “Ish… let’s take our breakfast first!” My father gives out a small laugh. My mother, Lee Jin Mi passes a plate most like a saucer to each of us. I take two slice of bread and give it to my father, “Here your bread!” “Thank you, my son.” He smiles looking at me. I show my index finger to the bottles in front of my mother. “What do you want? Don’t you have mouth to speak out?” She teases me in angry tone. “Mummy, don’t you know me yet? I don’t like peanut butter, so I want the jam.” I pout.

            “Jin Mi, look at our son. I’m worry looking at him. He is 23 this year but still childish like 6 years old boy.” My father complains. “Daddy, can you tell me now what you want tell me just now?” I say in low tone and then entered the bread into my mouth. “Oh, actually you’ve to replace me tomorrow,” he says and smirks at me. “What and where?” My eyes like want to pop out. “At ‘Sunshine’,” He says calmly. “Ah~ but you know I don’t like children right,” I my own hair. “No excuse because I’ll be outstation tomorrow for business stuff,” He stares at me. “Mummy!!! I don’t want,” I wink at my mother as a sign to persuade my father. “No, I can’t,” She sorry me.

             I go upstairs and get into my room, lock myself there and bump my body on the bed. I don’t know what to do now. Confuse! I decide to make a call on Jae Jin, my best friend from the university. He is nice and comes from an average family. “Yobosaeyo, Jae Jin~ah !” I make a call. “Yobosaeyo, is this Hong Ki?” He asks. “Yes, of course!” “Can help you? I know you’ve problem now, that’s why you call me. Am I right?” He talks and talks, doesn’t let me say even a single word. “Yes!” I nod alone. “I know I am right as usually. Ha ha.” He is proud of himself. “What happen? Tell me why?” He continues.

            “Jae Jin as my friend what do you think about it? My father asked me to replace his place to welcoming the students from a university that want make charity works at ‘Sunshine’ tomorrow. I don’t like it. You know it right?” I explain my problems. “Sunshine?” He is asking me. “Yes, Sunshine! The orphanage,” I say in confuse once more. “Hong Ki! As your best friend, I think you should go and replace him. Just for once right. So go there, maybe you’ll find something new.” He makes up my mind. “Ok, thanks for giving opinion my friend. Eh! So what are you doing now? Working? Are you busy? Sorry if I bother you?” “No, I didn’t get any job yet. What about you?” He asks me back. “Not now. I still want take a rest,” “Oh like that. Ok bye!” “Bye,”

Early in the morning, I wake up, clean myself as usually and wear the outfit that have been prepared by my loveliest mother. I never wear something formal like this, I feel awkward and uneasy. I go downstairs and straight go to the dining room to take the breakfast. I haven’t reached the dining room while my mother is calling me “Hong Ki, you are late now!” I take a peek on my watch on right hand. “Omo! It’s is 8.20 a.m. now. I’ve to be there sharp on 8.30. I only have 10 minutes from now. “Mummy! I go now.” I turn back to the front door, running. My mother run after me, give me a pack of biscuit for my simple breakfast and a paper on her right hand for me to give a speech on the formality then.

I don’t know what will happen when I give a formal speech afterwards. It’s never in my mind before. I drive in a high speed and I arrive in front the enormous gate of Sunshine five minutes late. It seems not me welcoming the university students but them welcoming me. I run as fast as I could, entered from the back door and sit on the couch at the front of the quite big hall of Sunshine. “Huh!” I pant. The students is about four or five years younger than me and they should be my friends. Without wasting a single time I stand on the stand in front of the entire students.

“Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Good morning to the students from University of Seoul (UOS) and the lecturers too. Most welcome to the Sunshine and I would like to thank you from Lee family behalf because you all are willing to make a trip here. I hope you will enjoy today with these kids. You also can ask me if you want to know something. Thank you,” I bow 90 degrees and then walk to the crowd of the children.

As my father asked, I just take a peek with a smile around the students of UOS that are giving food with all their love to the residents of Sunshine. I walk to the highest part of Sunshine building to look the scenery from the top. I look the happiness of the children, I’m happy for them too although I not really like kids. Maybe that feeling comes because I’m the only child and never shared my parents’ love with the others.

All of sudden my eyes appeal to a girls that ties her blonde hair to ponytail. She is very beautiful like an angel from the heaven. She is really kind towards the small children, she feed them with full of love. For me, she is perfect. My heart is with her now. “I want know her and must!” I whisper to myself joyfully. The girl is with some of her friend. “Better I go now before I late, he he,” I chuckle. “Hey! Not now Hong Ki but after this. Yes, after this there will be cleaning the area of Sunshine. I can go near her,” I stop myself.

I change my suit to simple yellowish shirt with black track bottom and as usually with my shoes, walking to the middle of the Sunshine and there all the students are gathering to listen to their mid forty years-old lecturer’s instruction. The task is cleaning the surrounding and I will go with them. I’m a nature lover actually. Back to the girl that I admire from just now, she is in-charged of cleaning the garden area with some of her friends.

I walk and walk in cheerful sensibility until I reach in front of her and her friends. I admit I’m shy right now and I don’t know how to begin our conversation. All look awkward but I encourage myself to talk with her. Spontaneous I greet them, “Hi!” “Hi!” greet her friends back but she still quiet and looking around at the garden. One of her friends elbows her and at the moment she greets me back, “Oh, hi! Nice to meet you,” Then she smiles.

Yes, my heart tells the truth to me. She is different from the other girls. She is talk less but she has something enchant. One more time I break the peacefulness, “Let’s clean this place!” “Sure!” She says in the most excited tone. “Hey! You’re the leader of this group right. Tell us what we have to do,” A tall girls with a pair of dark-brown eyes asks, chuckle. “Oh! You can collect the rubbish here and there while I’ll arrange back and decorate this garden,” She tells plainly.

All of them do their works together while I still standing like a statue with her at the same place like just now. “I should begin it with moving that big vase first. Surely it is heavy,” She frowns and I can see it. “Mmm… Mr…” She shows her finger at me. I raise my eyebrows, “My name is Lee Hong Ki. Just call me Hong Ki and please don’t call me with Mr. again,” I smile. “Okay! Hong Ki, can you help me move that vase here?” She asks. This is a golden opportunity for me. I can know more about her background. “Sure, why not?” We go to the place that the vase located and simply move it together.  

After finish it, we go to a place that full of flower there. I ask her, “What is your name?” And she easily answers my question with a smile on her lip, “My full name is Choi Eun Jo and you can call me Eun Jo,” “Oh, nice name, so you in what field in study?” “For now I’m studying in Art & Humanities, that’s why I’m here now,” She smiles again. “Suit with her traits,” say me alone. We continue our works and all done sharp at 12 noon.

This time I busy tailing the girls to the kitchen to prepare the foods for the children’s lunch. Yes, it is true. I like cooking but this time I go for Eun Jo. My heart is with her now. I want near her but she doesn’t care about me much and the rest of her friends are busy laughing at me because of it. That is such an embarrassment moment for me.

The charity work is finished and all the students are going to their university back. Before they all leave, I still have chance to say goodbye to them, “Cheerio! See you all next time and thank you for coming here,” I bow and waving them. Actually, I’m slightly disappointed because I didn’t get Eun Jo’s phone number and her address. It’s okay, I won’t give up to what I want. There is other way and everything is possible now. I go back and think the other way to meet them again.