Mr. Kim

Lost Valentine.

Lost Valentine

Chapter one

****************************************************************************************************

 

“Oh Mr. Kim right on time as always.” Exclaimed the man at the counter; Mr. Kim smiled at the man before heading to his usual seat at the back of the ice cream parlor. A few minutes later the man came to Mr. Kim table, placing an ice cream sundae down, and then taking his leave. Once he is back at his counter, a young boy comes out.

“Abeoji did Mr. Kim come already?”

“Ah Kyu Jong ah de he is already here.” Said the man; nodding to the table at the back. Kyu Jong smiled; for as long as he could remember, Mr. Kim has always been here, at the exact time, the exact place, the exact day… Valentine’s Day.  The old man was as nice as they come, never bothering anybody; he just always came, have his sundae, and sit there till it was time to close. A call from his dad brought Kyu Jong out if his thoughts of the kind old man.

“Kyu Jong ah your friends are here.”

“De abeoji.” Taking one last look at the old man, Kyu Jong headed to where his friends where already sitting.

“Kyu Jong ah! Long time no see!” Said one of the males at the table; waving his head excitedly.

“Yah Hyung Jun ah what do you mean ‘long time no see’ we just saw him two days ago.” Said the second male. Who rolled his eyes at the other’s childish behavior.

“But Jung min ah I missed him, in our two days apart.” Kyu Jong smiled at the two, their bickering something that he always found amusing. The two were like cat and mouse always at each other.

“Hey guys what bring you here?” Said Kyu Jong; sitting down next to Hyung Jun.

“Nothing much, it’s just…” Hyung Jun paused, sighed as he pouted. Jung Min smiled, before finishing what he had to say.

“It is just we have two weeks to come up with a new story, before we both get fired. Our boss is really cracking the whip on us lately.” Jung min sighed deeply.

“Yeah we were hoping you know of anything that would be interesting, to do a story on I mean you see a lot of people. Do you have anything?” Hyung Jun said flashing his puppy eyes at his friend.

Kyu frowned he did not know what to do; or anything that could possibly be worthy of a story.

“Mianhaeyo Hyung Jun ah, Jung Min ah but I have no idea how to help you.” Kyu Jong said regrettably.

“Ah it’s okay Kyu Jongie no need to be sad, we will find something. We just thought it was worth a shot.” Said Jung min; smiling at his friend, trying to ease his guilt.

 

After a while the two left, letting their friend get back to work. The day ended smoothly, giving the lovely couple a few extra minutes, to exchange their feelings, or finish their ice cream. He never did understand why people, got all mushy on Valentine’s Day, or fall in love period. It was never going to last anyway. After giving the last call, in the corner of his eye, he saw Mr. Kim getting up, his face sad it was almost heart breaking. Kyu Jong has never seen sadness like that before.

“Mr. Kim are you alright?” scared that something might be wrong; but the old man just glanced at him smiling, as he nodded he was fine, and then taking his leave. Kyu Jong followed him out, locking the door after him. Now he starts to clean up his abeoji counting the register out. As Kyu cleaned, he was not able to get Mr. Kim’s face out of his head.

“Abeoji?’ Kyu called out.

“de?”

“Abeoji you have worked here a long time right?”

“Yes I have, your grandfather opened this place, and I have worked here since I was 15 years old.” Kyu Jong smiled; heading over to where his father was.

“So you know about Mr. Kim right?” Kyu Jong’s father looked up, confused on what his son is getting at.

“Well no not really; I mean when I worked here Mr. Kim was already here, sitting by himself like always. However your harabeoji told me some things about him.” Kyu Jong got excited.

“Jinjayo? Can you tell me about him?” Kyu’s father frowned.

“Why do you want to know about him so badly?”

“Well to be honest I have never really given it a thought, but today is the first time that I have ever seen a face so full of sadness. And it just made me wonder, so that is why I am asking.” Kyu’s father nodded; coming from around the corner, pulling his son with him to sit at one of the booths.

“Well from what I got from your grandfather was Mr. Kim was once in love with a soldier. Now we think it is okay here in this time, but the laws and the thoughts of many were very different back then. You know how your grandfather was; he was an understanding man, he let them be free together, there at the back. Well the war broke out and they were parted; his lover got the daft letter, he didn’t so he stayed promising to meet here once again.  Well from what I was told, the man went missing in action, so ever since Mr. Kim has been coming here every Valentine’s day, waiting for him to return.”

Kyu Jong frowned, that was so sad and mind boggling; how one could wait 55 years for someone was crazy. After their chat, they finished closing up, and then headed home. In bed Kyu Jong couldn’t help but to think on what his father told him. He wanted to know more, but how could he get more? He wasn’t even sure where to find him. Sighing he grabbed his phone, checking the time. Pausing, it hit him Hyung Jun and Jun Min. This was a story they could use not to get fired, and he can know the whole story about Mr. Kim’s life.  Dialing Hyung Jun’s number, waiting for him to pick up.

“Yeoboseyo? Kyu Jongie?” Hyung Jun’s voice comes through the phone.

“De Hyun Jun ah it’s me, um I was wondering do you still need a story?”

                                                                                End chapter.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

SO! What do you guys think? Do you like it? Please comment and let me know what you think. And ill see ya’ll tomorrow. XD one day down, six more to go. Till next time bye now.