Admit it

Be Aware

 

Daehyun’s hands itched, his hands, his fists wanted to hit something, someone, when he saw how happy and dependent Jongup was on Himchan and how the teacher was eagerly helping Jongup with his duty. Girls stopped fawning, it must be the satanic aura that only Jongup couldn’t sense that made them ‘normal’, Daehyun mused.

 

 

 

“Daehyunnie,” Zelo cooed. They were slouching in either chair in front of the Disciplinary Committee Head’s desk. Zelo had his hair in pink again and Daehyun deliberately, in the last minute, sprayed his hair dirty blond. “I think it’s time for you to see a psychiatrist or something.” It was intended as a joke, both of them knew that and both of them knew Daehyun was in a phase – a terrible one.

 

Daehyun cast him a glare – with a killing intent. Zelo cringed on his chair. “Daehyun, it’s me, Zelo your childhood friend, your brother from another mother,” he pleaded and earned a small laugh from the blond one. Zelo sighed with relief; he had shifted his friend’s mood for the better before Himchan came in.  

 

The moment Himchan sat in his chair, he stifled a laugh. He was enjoying very much the murderous air about Daehyun. He found it too amusing, that this boy who barely cared for anyone is showing too much emotion, too much attention, too much affection and yet was able to keep it well hidden from the fear he has collected from the students.

 

“Here,” Himchan said nonchalantly, tossing a spray can at Zelo. Zelo looked at Himchan confused, his tilted head said so. “You’ve been using that haven’t you? It’s not like you’d actually listen to me so why bother waste my saliva on the both of you.”

“That’s right, so we’ll be off now,” Zelo said animatedly as he grabbed Daehyun by the arm.

Daehyun was stubborn and stayed rooted on his chair. Himchan exchanged cool looks with his glare.

 

“You’re being childish,” Himchan broke the tension growing between them. “Obviously, Jongup looks up to me, and with someone dependable gone, how can I leave him unguarded with those hyenas?” And should I tell you Jongup’s little secret? He thought amusingly.

 

Daehyun didn’t say a word, Zelo had been tugging and pulling him and praying that Daehyun won’t bite the trap Himchan had set for him. After what seemed like forever, Daehyun stood up.

 “Fine,” he said darkly and with his head slightly tilted up giving him an authoritative impression he ordered, “Get me back to this ing committee of yours.”

“Really, thank you so much,” Himchan said with his rehearsed amicable voice that Daehyun is familiar with.

 

 

*~*~*

 

As Daehyun entered the classroom, late of course, all eyes were on him and he could hear them mumbling as he passed by each row. He had his hair sprayed black by now and as he flops himself on the chair he casts a fierce look to the class and their heads automatically turned to the front.

 

Jongup was sitting at the opposite end from Daehyun, although few seats in front, probably at the middle. He received a text message the moment Daehyun entered and had sneaked to read it, he smiled upon reading the message. Involuntarily his head turned towards Daehyun’s seat which was bad timing, everyone had just snapped their heads back to the front and Daehyun’s eyes met his. The smile on Jongup’s face turned into a tight lip as he followed what his classmates did.

 

He dyed his hair back to normal, Jongup thought as he stole another glance at Daehyun a couple minutes later and found himself getting embarrassed a second time. He had found himself meeting Daehyun’s eyes again but unlike him, Daehyun casually shifts his gaze to the board as if he hadn’t seen anything.

 

 “You’re afraid of me.” Daehyun had told him

“If he rejects you then stop.” Himchan advised.

 

 

“He’s not yet scary, but don’t push him.” Himchan had told him. But push him to do what or to where exactly, Jongup just wants to be friends with Daehyun as how he is with everyone else even if he becomes nauseating for others. He knew that not everyone likes him, he was too likeable, too nice, and greets everyone with a smile.

 

Jongup knew that he shouldn’t be thinking about these things, not when Finals was just around the corner and yet he couldn’t help himself. He felt so frustrated, why can’t he befriend Jung Daehyun? Why does Daehyun want everyone to think that he’s a bad guy when he was totally not?

 

“Jongup?” a classmate, who sat across him asked, “Are you okay? Oh my god, what’s wrong?” she asked worriedly, and the class was interrupted again.

Jongup had been tearing up silently much to his own surprise.

“Are you hurt anywhere?” another classmate asked.

“I –” Jongup started but he didn’t know what to do, he didn’t want them to know that it had something to do with Daehyun, they’ll get it the wrong way.

 

“Why don’t you just go to the ing infirmary and be done with it.” Everyone looked Daehyun’s way. The tears stopped, he saved me again, Jongup thought. The teacher agreed to his suggestion and asked someone to Jongup, Jongup declined and insisted that he can go on his own.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Jongup stayed in the infirmary for the whole day as ordered by the lenient school doctor. He had visitors sneaking in every time a period ends. The visits irked the doctor that he banned anyone from entering the infirmary unless they needed medical help so when Jongup saw his recent visitor it shocked him more than just the usual surprise.

 

“M-Mr. Kim said that you’re coming back to the committee,” Jongup started, he wished Daehyun would talk if he was going to visit and not just stand at the foot of the bed and stare at him, for one he can’t read minds.

“Jongup,” Daehyun started. Jongup hummed awaiting for what Daehyun was about to say. “Do me a favor, quit the committee.”

“What? But –”

“You can’t even handle the class how much more every freaking and wanting to have you them.”

Jongup cringed at the words Daehyun used carelessly. “They don’t –”

“You’re way too trusting.” Jongup was cut off entirely. Those were the same words Himchan had told him.

“What’s wrong with trusting others?” Jongup mumbled and then he raised his head up, “What’s wrong with trusting you?” he asked.

  Everything, Daehyun answered mentally, “You make people want to take advantage of you. You’ve got good intentions but seriously, take a hint, for a smart person you sure fail at common sense and ‘intentions’.”

 

Suddenly Jongup’s phone vibrated and when he answered it, Daehyun noticed the happy look on his face. He waited until Jongup had finished the call, and he was glad it was just a short call because he didn’t know how long he can stay calm and not yank that phone off Jongup’s hand or just attack on the caller.

 

“Do you like Himchan?” Daehyun asked, putting on his best poker face.

“Of course,” Jongup answered immediately with one of his pure, bright smiles. “He’s a really good teacher.”

“Last time, you received a text, did it come from him?” Daehyun asked another question.

“Yup,” Jongup answered with a swift, strong nod. “He texted me because you –”

Daehyun clenched his fists at the side as he kept his composure. “I wonder why you want me to stay and be gate guard when you and Himchan can do it better, when you can do it better and more excitedly. I can be your partner for a week after that ask Himchan to give you a position where you can’t be mobbed, by his side maybe,” Daehyun ended with sarcasm.

 

They heard the door open and Himchan’s voice reverberated on the walls. Daehyun was quick to leave through the window. Even though Youngjae, the school doctor had allowed him to visit Jongup, running into Himchan wasn’t a good time.

 

 

*~*~*

 

“Huh, I thought you said you were fine,” Himchan said, he had slid the curtains to the side and didn’t catch the relief in Youngjae’s face when they found no one else with Jongup. Jongup was sitting on his bed, knees brought to his chest and a hand clutching over it, he was sobbing slightly.

“It hurts,” he muttered.

“Where?” Himchan and Youngjae asked in unison.

Jongup didn’t bother to look up, he just held his chest tighter as if it would lessen the pain, as if he could lighten the load it has suddenly brought upon him.

 

“ Here, it hurts,” he repeated. 

Himchan sighed as he leaned over the ledge of the window, surveying the area. “Why didn’t you just tell him?” Youngjae looked curious and asked about what. “That Jongup likes Daehyun,” replied Himchan matter-of-fact. He was enjoying the push-and-pull going on between the two boys but he’s feeling more bias towards Jongup and just wants the kid to feel happy. He’d comfort the boy, hug him even but his boyfriend might not welcome that thought although he knows Youngjae knew what kind of person he was anyway.

Jongup’s head snapped back up, his eyes wide with surprise. “I d-d-don’t,” he said. Himchan rolled his eyes.

“No one would work as hard as you over friendship Jongup, they’d either give up on it or wait for it in its own pace if ever it does happen,” Himchan reasoned.

This time Jongup blushed.

“No one would ask the number of a person he wants to be friends with from another person,” added Himchan teasingly, earning a slap on the arm by Youngjae.

Now Jongup looked like a cherry tomato.

 

 

But Daehyun doesn’t like me, Jongup things to himself and tears started welling up again that made Himchan and Youngjae worried and look for ways to make him stop crying. Himchan decided a crying Jongup is a heartbreaking image of Jongup.