Tongue tied

Be Aware

 

Daehyun looked surprised when he found me in front of his doorsteps and probably confused as to why I was even there in the first place. “Zelo told me,” I said abruptly when I saw his eyes narrowing coldly at me while I handed out his bag.

 

“Thanks,” he mumbled as he grabbed his belongings. I should leave now, his turning his back, he doesn’t give a about me but I couldn’t. I wanted to tell him something but now while I’m face-to-face I get cold feet, my mind is a blank slate and I was left there standing. I probably looked innocently expectant of something because he had snapped at me, “I said thanks already so bye.”

 

“But –” I started. He startled me. , why can’t I remember what I was supposed to say?

Daehyun the insides of his cheeks, clearly he is annoyed with my presence already. “But what?”

Daehyun’s snapping again, stop snapping I can’t think all the more and all I did was flinch.

 

“Mr. Kim said,” I finally said, if I wasn’t so shaken up I’d probably pause and sigh with relief, “You’re quitting the committee, but you’re good at it. There are less and less offenders because of you,” I said clutching my hands closer to my chest hoping that would ease it’s erratic, over excited beating.

 

“You only have a week of duty anyway, please,” I continued trying to look like a begging puppy as what people said I’m actually good at. “Please stay until the end of your duty?” I added trying to reach out, for the first time, looking at him straight in the eye, I did all the coaching Himchan said would probably work on Daehyun or anyone for that matter – use your pure charms – he said.

  

 

“I liked making those s and es bow down to me,” he said finally, and in a calmer tone. Hearing that I can’t help but feel slightly relieved, “But I’m quitting, I hate waking up early,” he continued and it put the frown back on my lips.

 

“Watching you not get mobbed while enforcing the rules is tiresome. You’re too forgiving and lenient in everything it’s – an eyesore,” he finished with a straight face.

 

What should I say this time? Should I tell him I wanted him there too, that with him around I feel much confident with myself? Should I tell him that I don’t think he’s as bad as everyone and even himself think he is? Seriously Daehyun, why can’t you see I enjoy being with you at least?

 

 

“You’re afraid of me.”

 

Daehyun’s words stopped whatever my brain was processing to convince him to stay. That’s not true! “No I’m –” I started to argue but he cuts me off again.

“Yes, you are. You’re no different than them. So while I’m still feeling benevolent, leave and stop acting like Himchan’s little angel or anything.”

 

No that’s not true, I’m not afraid of you. Okay, so I’ve cringe awhile back but it’s because you startled me and you were narrowing your eyes on me, yes Jongup tell that to this sour-faced Daehyun, tell him that. But my lips don’t move at all. Turning my hands into fists at either side I bowed lightly then left before I’d say anything more embarrassing or he’d spill out anything more hurtful.

  

 

*~*~*

 

 “Jongup,” Himchan called out cautiously. Slowly I looked up while trying to wipe out some traces of tears. Yes, Daehyun’s words hurt me to the point that I cried or I’m just some big cry baby.

 “What’s wrong?” Himchan’s voice became urgent and as I hear his concerned tone, I couldn’t stop myself and just started leaking out again and just balled in front of Himchan.

 

 

“Why are you crying? Jongup?” Himchan asked worriedly. Himchan spent a good five minutes, giving me a comforting rub on the back as he shows curious and sometimes suspicious and judgmental passengers and passersby a reassuring smile and introduce himself as the teacher. “Jongup, you can speak anytime now,” he whispers while he continues to give a reassuring smile and sometimes accompanied by an explanation.

 

“I’m sorry Mr. Kim,” Jongup finally mumbled in between sobs. “It’s okay, I don’t want to trouble you anymore.” Himchan sighed as he pushed himself off his seat.

“You’re my student, if I leave you in this state then what does that make me?”

 

 

Himchan ended up treating me with ice cream at the ice cream parlor two blocks away from the bus stop. “Mr. Kim,” I started after a few minutes of silence between us and a two delectable spoonfuls of ice cream. Himchan hummed, beckoning me to go on. “Do you think Daehyun is scary?” And I watched him with questioning eyes as I sniffed involuntarily, “People kept saying that.”

 

 “Do you think he’s scary?” Himchan counters with a question instead and with a smile that tells me that I should be cautious off.

 

Fiddling with my spoon, “I don’t think so,” was my shy remark that I’m certain piqued Himchan’s interest. Realizing that I needed to expound a little, “He has helped me out of trouble number of times and Daehyun has never been in any of those scary gang wars.” I explained immediately.

 

I don’t like how Himchan chuckled at my explanation. He gestured for me to lean closer and I did as told. Suddenly, Himchan leaned slightly and with his thumb he brushed lightly over my cheek near the end of my mouth, catching me by surprised that I sat back straight against the back rest of my chair.

 “There was ice cream,” Himchan answered nonchalantly as he his thumb that he used to wipe my cheek with.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Himchan walked me back to the bus stop after eating.

“Don’t bother with Daehyun,” Himchan started rather seriously. Now I wonder why he’s saying that when I asked him before he didn’t seem to think Daehyun was much of a threat as what others make him to be.  “He got angry at you or something for bringing his things, didn’t he?”

 

“You’re a good kid, Jongup. You try to help everyone even when they don’t need it. Daehyun doesn’t want your help so it’s better to leave him be.” I was going to argue but Himchan placed a soft finger over my mouth as he shakes his head slowly and began to speak rather darkly, “I know the type of person Daehyun is. He’s not yet scary but don’t push him, if he rejects you then stop –”

 

“I’m not afraid of him. I don’t think he’s scary at all.” I told him softly but with conviction as I pushed his finger away cautiously. Himchan cocked an eyebrow up as a playful smirk tugged his lips, I must’ve said something amusing, well whatever I’m doing now is surprising me too. But really why do people keep telling the same thing, they don’t know Daehyun that well to judge him!

 

“You’re not a pretty good liar Jongup,” he said in an amused tone.

 “I’m not lying.” I said puffing my cheeks petulantly. Why don’t people believe me either?

Shortly after my bus arrived. “Thanks for everything Mr. Kim, I’m sorry for the trouble again.” I said back to being smiling Jongup, Himchan replied with a smile of his own.

 

Himchan takes out a hand, as courtesy I extended my own and when we shook hands goodbye Himchan pulled me roughly.  “And this is your problem,” Himchan whispers forebodingly, somehow making me stiff in fear. “You’re way too trusting.” Himchan stepped back as he lets go of my hand and with a smile he said casually, “Be careful on your way home.”

 

 

 

 

~*~

 

Jongup bent over as he covered his face in his hands, feeling it very warm. And as he continues to debates with himself on what to do, if what he was thinking of was okay and if Himchan would even consent to it after giving him a warning? Finally, Jongup brought out his phone and started typing in fast before he’d lose the sudden burst of confidence and felt that he had only breathed until he has pressed ‘Send’.

 

 

As Jongup’s bus disappeared from view, Himchan smiled more amusingly as he notices a lock of hair sticking out from behind the waiting area billboard. He calls out and begrudgingly the figure walked out of his hiding place with a frightening expression written all over his face that made Himchan laugh coldly.

 

“Jongup is such a sweet kid, just watching him gives you the feeling that you need to protect him,” Himchan started in a lighthearted manner, somehow he enjoyed having those intimidating eyes narrowing on him. He took out his phone, hearing it beeped out a new message and his smile deepened as he reads it.

 

“He’s so pure, so white, and so clean doesn’t it make you want to soil it?” He typed fairly evenly, sighing as he ignored how the stare became similar to deadly daggers. “Too bad, having a seedy teacher-student relationship would be bad for my record.” Now he was done typing and only needed to send it.

 

Daehyun couldn’t hold his anger in anymore, he had no right to be jealous, nor be angry, there was nothing going on between him and Jongup. And he knew Himchan was just playing with him so he sighed deeply and audibly as he gathers his senses and with a much calmer air he said compellingly, “Back off.”

“I can’t do that, I’m a teacher,” replied Himchan level-headedly, because it’s so much fun teasing you, he thought as he pressed the ‘Send’ and replaced his phone back in his jeans’ pocket and headed off.