Misunderstood

Be Aware

 

I have often been told by my parents to learn how to respect others and never judge them instantly just because of heresay or just because they said so. I have learned, with growing up and watching tv, people will lie or stretch out the truth. Because of that I have somehow acquired a certain useless talent of being fair and objective and naïve, I guess.

 

 

 

And I learned people can be cruel and lazy and that I can be sometimes such a pushover. I know I am kind, and that I am sort of studious, I dare not claim to be smart because I work so hard for whatever grade I attain. I don’t like being a leader, I’m too timid but I don’t exactly know how to say no either plus I don’t mind helping – I am such a hopeless idiot. Also, maybe it’s because I am new to this city that I don’t want to make any enemies, that all I want are friends and good acquaintances. I’m an advocate for peace or a coward and I’m just saying that advocate thing as an excuse.

 

 

*~*~*

 

“Um. Everyone please settle down,” I tried to say a bit louder this time. But who am I kidding, who would listen to a class representative who doesn’t even look the part. Why does the teacher have to be on leave now? Why couldn’t they appoint a substitute teacher fast or why couldn’t the substitute teacher come immediately.

 

I was about to give up. I smiled at the girls and even though they’ve been fawning over me, I’m thankful that they’d at least listen to me. I give up trying to be forceful and strict, those two characteristics are just not me at all. I’m a wimp, a spineless wimp who loves to be helpful.

 

 

-Bang!-

 

 

Everyone became silent and looked at Daehyun, looking with scared, apologetic and even shifty eyes as he glared back at them. Slowly, awkwardly they moved off desks and went back to their seats. The girls around me left. While order was slowly coming back to our classroom, I stood there, amazed and thankful at him. Jung Daehyun, the person no one dared be near with or even look at the eyes.

 

Coincidentally, the door opened and the substitute teacher came in, he was surprised and impressed to see the class quiet and behaved and praised me. I tried to tell him that I didn’t do anything but he kept cutting me off. I ended up going back to my seat, sighing disapprovingly at myself.

 

 

 

I don’t think he is that bad, hasn’t anyone seen him help me put order to this class? That the reason for him slamming his foot on the table was to silence everyone, why can nobody see that? Why does he even act so defiant anyway? I want to be friends with him, I thought while I sneak a glance at him staring into space outside the windows.

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

“SHUT THE UP?!” Daehyun commanded menacingly, making even me freeze. He was like satan’s spawn, as he ordered the girls who came in without complete uniforms to stay in one corner with their hands above their heads and threatening others also. I was scared, why was scared, after all that talk with myself that I want to be friends with him.

 

Himchan, oops sorry I should say Mr. Kim, because he is a teacher – a disciplinary teacher, had told me yesterday afternoon that I’d be having a new partner for morning duties. He could’ve just told me it would’ve been Daehyun, now I look like a worthless shrimp, hiding behind him while he does the job so perfectly, even his best friend Zelo was not excluded.

 

“Stop encouraging them,” he snapped at me and I flinched. I bit my lower lip to keep the smile from showing. I’m sorry, it’s a habit I can’t just throw away. Since for I don’t know when, I’ve been called Smiling Jongup, Warm Jongup and well, I really do smile a lot. If I frown I’d get old fast, and that’s what’s going to happen to Daehyun if he keeps that scowl on his face.

 

 

“Wow,” Himchan said praise and amazement laced in his voice as he comes down applauding. Immediately I gave a ninety-degree bow because that’s what we’re supposed to do, right? But Daehyun just stayed leaning against the wall and acted as if Himchan was just his equal. I wanted to tell him off but I got tongue-tied. Daehyun is amazing, he speaks his mind and he doesn’t get fazed by anyone but sometimes he can be a little rude, like walking away from Himchan when he was talking and why does he have to drag me along with him?

 

When Daehyun finally lets go of my arm when we entered the building he moves to a different direction. “Daehyun,” I called him out as firmly as I could. “The classroom’s this way,” I said as I point to the direction half my body was facing.

“I’m going to the infirmary,” he said curtly and turned with a click of his heel.

“Why, are you hurt somewhere?” I asked worriedly, did he hurt himself?

Daehyun made this face that I found hard to read then he said nonchalantly, that it was the most simple and obvious thing, “Skipping class obviously.”

“You can’t do that,” I said as I reached out and caught one of his arms, I froze realizing what I did. He shoved me hard and I hit the wall slightly still it was a bit painful, but it woke me up from the stupor I had with my bold move.

“Sorry.” He said softly. My head jerked up at him. Did I just heard it correctly? Daehyun apologized, the scary, satan’s spawn Jung Daehyun apologized. “What?” he asked, an eyebrow cocked with curiosity. I shook my head and just smiled at him. See, he isn’t that bad, probably just misunderstood. But no one will believe me, I doubt Daehyun will believe me as well.

 

“Please come back when you feel better,” I said, I decided I’ll let him go this time. I don’t want him really hurting me, not when he showed me and made me really see that no one is purely evil nor are they purely good.

 

 

*~*~*

 

I tilt my head through the ajar door of the infirmary and greeted the school doctor a smile. He cocked his head towards the rows of bed and with a nod I headed towards the sheets of curtains, peeking through each one. It wasn’t too difficult a task, there were only a few beds and there was only one occupied bed. It’s time to wake the sleeping dragon up I said to myself as I gave myself a boost, who knows what Daehyun is like when he’s awake especially when he’s forced to.  

 

 It took me a minute of how to actually do it, I tried poking him a little, not too much that he’d be pushed off the bed but I guess it wasn’t too strong for him to feel either, so I tried calling him out, softly of course. I tensed a little when I saw him stir and his eyebrows knitted together. A smile spread across my face, he looked innocent and vulnerable this way that I was actually tempted not to wake him up instead but there’s not much time till the next class. I continued calling out his name softly and nudging as equally soft.

 

“Jongup, I want you,” he whispered. What? What? Daehyun must still be sleeping but what did he just say – and w-why is he reaching out. !

 

Our lips! Our lips! His eyes fluttered open heavily, sleep slowly leaving them. I jerked away and had probably stepped a few back. I’m not sure if he was surprise as well or he did that on purpose, as a joke, he just sat there and stared at me.

“T-the teacher sent me to take you back to c-class.” I managed to say, stuttering like a fool who have been kissed for the first time, covering my mouth with a hand. But of course, that was my first time. I didn’t wait for him to say anything, I could feel myself blushing, I walked as fast as I could and try not be clumsy about it.

 

“Is anything wrong, Jongup?” Himchan asked. He found me sitting on the stairs, still I had a hand over my mouth. When I noticed him, I kept my hand behind my back. “I’m fine, sir,” I said averting my eyes from his concerned one.

“Are you sure?” he probed further, this time, he bent over, in a way that he was already at eye level with me, and he was leaning his face closer to mine, uncomfortably close.

I backed away and mentally slap myself. “Y-yes, sir, there’s no need to worry,” I reassured and hopefully he will believe me and even if he won’t I wish he’d stop prying on me at least for now. Himchan’s eyes narrowed on me as he hummed, probably thinking and weighing the things he has to do. He eased away finally and stood up.

“Alright then,” he said as he slings the class book over his shoulder. “Better hurry to class, you don’t want to get reprimanded, you’re the class representative after all.”

I nodded, stood up and gave a bow before scurrying off. Hopefully I didn’t wobble, hopefully I didn’t look awkward.

 

 

When I returned to class, Daehyun wasn’t there. The teacher just shrug his shoulder and told me to get back to my seat which I was grateful for.

“Jongup, I want you.”

 

I shut my eyes and turned my hands into balls while they sit on top of the desk. Daehyun was just playing with me right? He knew I had that pure image that’s why he played that prank on me, right? Thinking about it made my eyes sting and my chest hurt.

 

I just want to be his friend so I shouldn’t take that incident to heart, in fact I shouldn’t be this affected.