Heartbreak Lullaby

Serendipity

 

It's been so long that we spent our time together. We went to the movies, joyride, to the arcade.

 

I changed a lot becuase of him.

 

We spent the summer together. . . almost everyday. We always had fun. We spoke on the phone form night 'til dawn. My friends told me that we really get along well and that there is a big chance for us to be in a relationship. And I told them was the one I've been waiting for. And they were happy for both of us.

 

But on one cloudy day, we are supposed to go out shopping together when Kris called.

 

"Sorry Hyun. I have some place to go. I'll just call you tonight."

"Oh, its okay. I'll see you then."

 

But for almost one week, he hasn't called me or went to our house to drop by and give me pizza, and cookies for my mom like he used to do. I asked Yuri if she had seen or heard anything from Kris, but she told me she hadn't.

I started to feel that something was wrong with him. Or was he sick and confined in the hospital? Or was he just too busy for painting.

I knew Kris so well that he just doesn't easily get lost, he usually called me if he was going somewhere. But for two weeks and a few days, I haven't seen him. I didn't catch him when I called.

So, I just waited for him. 

 

 

Until, one day while me and my three friends were having our lunch. . . I saw Kris on a table.

 

I was so happy to see him but when I was about to approach him, a girl sat in front of him.

 

I thought the girl was just his sister or cousin but when I saw him putting his arms around her, I instantly backed off.

 

I asked my friends who was Kris being so sweet with, but they didn't know. So Yuri approached him. They shared a couple of words and he looked at me and waved. Yuri went back to our table and . . .

I thought I was hearing the most bad news in the world.

 

" She's Soo Yeon, the girl Kris was so crazy with eversince highschool", Yuri explained.

"Is she his girlfriend now?"

"I don't know Hyun, but you better ask him."

 

Then after we have eaten, I waved at him and he waved back. Soo Yeon faced us and I didn't smiled at her.

I was jealous, you know.

And all the way down on the road, I couldn't help but think about Kris and the girl he was with.

 

And that night, I was lucky to catch him at their home, we talked on the phone.

 

"Hi, it's Hyun."

"Oh, how are you?"

"Well, you'd seen me a while ago."

"You still look cute", he responded.

 

"Well, I just like to know who's the girl you were with?."

 

"Oh, She's Soo Yeon. My long-time friend."

"You're girlfriend?"

"Well, I'm currently working for it and I hope I will succeed."

 

I sighed. I can't believe I was hearing those words form him.

 

"Oh. . .  Goodluck then."

"Hey, you shouldn't suppose to say that, right?"

"Oopss. . .I.. ." and he cut me off.

"Hyun, look, I really have to go, because we're having a date tonight."

"If you say so. . ."

 

Then he hung up. Our conversation wasn't like before. This time it was. . .

 

Quick. . .

 

Feelingless. . . and

 

Sad. 

 

That night I cried. I just couldn't believe of what he said. I'm forcing myself to believe that he was only joking. 

 

There were long, sleepless nights. Laughless days. Lonely times in the swing. I even hoped that Soo Yeon wouldn't give Kris any attention so that he would come back to me.

I waited. . . but there's no one come knocking on our door.

 


 

And later one day, Kris called. There was a sudden glee on myself when I answered the phone, only to  hear those words. . .

 

"Know what Seohyun, she's my girlfriend now!", he said excitedly. "Just this afternoon we were together and she said the magic word."

 

"I. . . I'm happy for you." my voice suddenly cracked but I stil managed to keep it normal. So he won't notice it.

 

And that was it. All my dreams were shattered. And he continued. . . 

 

"She was the girl I deeply fell in love with. I told her about you."

"Really?"

"Really."

"So. . ." 

"That's why I am the happiest man alive!," he said.

 

"That's good. Uhm. . . Can I talk to you, personally, Kris?"

"Oh sure. I'll be right there."

 

Then he came as soon as possible. He looked cute as ever. But he never forgot to give me compliment.

 

"Hey, my friend's very cute today."

"Thanks."

"So what's so important that you wanna talk about?"

 

 

". . .Us" I said gutsily.

"What about us?" he asked.

 

"Well. . .Kris. . I just thought you loved me and there you were, in love with another girl." my tears started to build up.

 

He became wordless and the smile on his face disappeared.

 

I didn't look straight in his eyes. We sat far apart. Then he broke the silence.

 

"She just arrived from a very long vacation. Since the day she went away, I was very lost. I was in love with her but she didn't felt the same way. I was crazy with her. That's why when she was gone. I tried to find someone new. And my prayers were answered. You were given to me, Seohyun."

 

"But. . . why?" 

 

"I started to love you. But I was scared that I would just hurt you. The past kept haunting me. I tried to tell myself that you were meant for me. You were so good to me and I couldn't ask for more."

 

He stopped. I felt tears running down my eyes. Then he continued. . 

 

"But when Soo Yeon came back, she told me how he missed me so much. That she realized that she loved me too. That's why she came back. And my dreams came true. And I just can't let her pass me by."

 

"How about me Kris? Why did you have to be so nice to me?."

 

This time, he moved on closer. He put his arms around me, kissed me on the foreheard and wiped the tears in my eyes. And said. . .

 

"The moments spent with you were worth keeping. They'll always be on my mind. But I have to pursue this dream I've been waiting for. I'm so sorry to hurt you."

 

"Don't say sorry". I hushed. "If you're happy with her, then be it. At least we have come to know each other. At least I once existed in your heart, that would be fine with me. She's so lucky to have you. Just come to me if you'll. . . I mean. . . if you need someone to talk to. I'd just be here, coz. . 

 

 

. . I LoveYou!. . ."

 

"Do you really mean that?."

"Yes, Kris." I smiled.

"I'm so happy I''ve been with you. You gave me hope."

"I'm happy to hear that, FRIEND!"

 

 

Then the time came when. . .

 

"I have to go now, Seohyun."

 

and he hugged me tightly. .  and he said. . 

 

 

"GOODBYE. .  MY ANGEL. . ."