2 teaspoons of sugar

Bitter Coffee & Sweet Sugar

 

Daiki opened his eyes and his hands immediately flew to the sides of his head. His head was throbbing painfully. He winced while trying to get up. His whole body was aching too. He attempted to remember how he had gone home last night but failed. His current headaches were killing him. Finally sitting up, the towel that was placed earlier on his forehead fell onto his lap and he stared at it. Feeling weird, he glanced around the room. The walls of the room was in a light shade of blue and the door was in the door was sin the color of white. The study desk was in the colour of wood and the things were placed neatly. Then, it hit him. He wasn't back in his own house, own room. Just as he was asking himself tons of questions, the door suddenly opened and all his questions were immediately answered.
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Amu carried a tray of breakfast to the guestroom. Everyone had gone out early in the morning to work. however, Amu stayed behind and woke up earlier than usual to cook porridge for Daiki. He was having a high fever last night and she had to tend him by changing the towel almost every half an hour. It had forced her to stay up late in the midnight and caused her to feel tired due to the lack of sleep. Upon reaching the room, she shook herself up and gathered all her energy. Pushing open the door, she found a pair of eyes staring directly at her.
 
 
"A-ah, ohayou," Amu greeted nervously as she walked over and placed the tray on the side table. Turning around, she saw Daiki holding onto the towel.
 
 
"Ano..I'll help you get a change of the towel. In the meantime, please do eat the porridge. You were having a very high fever last night so I guess it's better if you eat bland food," She said quickly as she took the towel from Daiki's hand and walked out of the room in big steps. Althought Daiki didn't get a chance to ask her anything yet, he was pretty sure that he's currently in her house.
 
 
"You were having a very high fever last night so I guess it's better if you eat bland food."
 
 
Her voice rang in his head and his eyes glanced upon the bowl porridge on the side table. Slowly, he reached out to grab the bowl and took the first bite.
 
 
"Umai! It's good despite being just a bowl of plain porridge," he thought and continued taking the second bite. After he had finished the porridge, he placed the bowl back on the tray and waited for Amu to return. Few minutes later, Amu entered the room with a bucket of water and a towel in it. She placed the bucket of water beside the tray and churned the towel dry before placing it on Daiki's forehead.
 
 
"It's cold!" Daiki exclaimed, almost jumping up. Amu let out a small chuckle.
 
 
"Lie down. If not, the towel is going to fall off again," She instructed and Daiki obediently followed. Then, she proceeded to bring the tray out first and came in again to bring out the bucket. Just as she was about to leave the room, she heard Daiki mumbled softly.
 
 
"Ne..arigatou.."
 
 
Amu immediately found herself blushing. She shook her head, indicating that he was welcome and quickly left the room. Daiki smiled and closed his eyes which he slowly drifted off to sleep again.
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------
 
 
-rewind-
 
 
After settling down the hazed boy into the guest bed, Amu pulled out her white flip phone and dailed the first person that came up in her phone book. "Ahh- Fai chan! I need a HUGE favor from you. Will you help me out? ..Arigatou! So here it is.."
 
 
Few hours later, the five other girls arrived home. Including Fai who was on the verge of crashing onto the floor into her slumber due to how exhausted she was. Upon hearing the front door open, she tiptoed out of the guest room after making sure the boy was asleep.
 
 
"So mind telling us why you decided to poof at your duty time?" Rio asked, shaking her head as she yearned for an answer.
 
 
Amu was about to open to answer Rio's question when all of a sudden, Fai sprang up from the floor and ran to the kitchen. "WATER" Fai croaked as she gulped down a liter of drink water. "Gomen nee.. Demo.. You guys would never have believed what happened to me.." Amu started as she, herself, collapsed onto the nearby sofa. The soft sofa swallowed the girl up for she was exhausted as well. 
 
 
"Was it worth it to have left your job THAT fast?" Yuki asked as Amu sighed.
 
 
"It still is.." She said before giving off a slight smile.
 
 
An awkward silence filled the airy room as everyone waited for Amu to continue her proclamation. However, Amu waited for the others to reply to her, thinking that she needed approvement  before moving onto the confession. 
 
 
"SO SPILL IT!" Everyone's voices synced as the girls waited hesitantly for what the mysterious girl had to say. 
 
 
Amu jumped. "OKAY!" She exclaimed. She glanced at her wrist in which Daiki had clasped onto before and smiled. "So after I went exited the cafe..." She began as everyone sat together on the floor, making the scenery seem to be a kindergarten's story time. 
 
 
-end of rewind-
 
 
----------------------------
 
 
It was around evening time when Daiki woke up again. Sitting up, he felt someone grabbing onto his hand. Turning to his side, he was surprised to see Amu sleeping on the bedside. Though he wanted to remove her hand and placed it back to her side, he didn't want to wake her up. So he just remained in that position while waiting for her to be awake. Soon enough, Amu stirred in her sleep and slowly opened her eyes. As soon as she saw herself grabbing onto Daiki's hand, she immediately withdrew her hand and her face was flushed red.
 
 
"Go-gomenasai," Amu muttered softly. Daiki shook his head. Then, there was an awkward silence.
 
 
"Ah, it's rude of me not to introduce myself in the first place. I'm Arioka Daiki. What's your name?" Daiki asked politely. Since she was the who took care of him when he was having a high fever, he felt that he should at least know her name.
 
 
"Amu. Kitagawa Amu." The nervous girl replied with a slight bow. Her heart was already thumping loudly against her rib cage.
 
 
"Ah, Amu. It's a nice name. The meaning suits your figure." Daiki said with a smile, making Amu blush even harder when she heard that. "Ahh, is that so, Arioka-kun.." 
 
 
"Call me Daiki or Dai-chan." The boy insisted as he held two of his thumbs up. "Then, call me Amu or Amu-chan nee." Amu replied. She started to feel a bit more comfortable talking to her idol. It didn't seem that bad as she pictured it to be. Then, the scene of Daiki crying in the rain suddenly flashed into her mind. Being curious, she decided to ask him about it.
 
 
"Ano...why were you sitting in the heavy rain last night?" Amu asked, tilting her head slightly. She had accidentally released her curiosity for it got the best of her. Daiki's smile faded off almost immediately.
 
 
"Nandemonai.." he replied coldly. Amu gulped. It seemed like she had just asked about something very sensitive and the atmosphere was starting to get very awkward again.
 
 
"Maa, I shouldn't have asked you about it. That's very insensitive of me," Amu said with a forced laugh. Trying to get away, she found herself looking at the time displayed on the wall clock. She didn't realised that Daiki was staring at her. He knew she was feeling guilty and awkward after asking that question. He felt bad for shooing her off from the topic too.
 
 
"Oh! It's already 6:30 in the evening? I should be preparing dinner now. Eto..you can continue to rest for awhile. I'll wake you up when I'm done!" Amu said cheerfully. Quickly, she stood up from the chair and walked towards the door. Just as her left hand touched the door knob, she heard Daiki mumbled something and froze on the spot.
 
 
"I broke up with my girlfriend yesterday."