Stranger in the past..the misapprehend

In Case You Come Back

 

“Noona, why don’t you just stay here? I love it when you’re here with us…” Kangjun said as he’s lying down on the sofa beside me with his head on my lap, looking up at me.

 

“I can’t…I still have my job to take care of, I’m just on leave for a while.” I switch the TV channel.

 

“But noona…you can replace omma for a while since omma working overseas…” Kagjun laughed and I slapped lightly on his forehead.

 

“Ya..you think I’m a babysitter or what? Oh, so you can bully me every day?” I pouted and he gets up to sit, rubbing his forehead.

 

“Yes…it has been a  long time, noona have always bullied me when we're still kids and now it’s revenge and payback time!!!” Kangjun starts attacking and tickling me because he knows that’s my weakness, I try to defend myself but I just can’t stop laughing till I lie down on my back on the sofa and Kangjun was on top of me, still tickling me mercilessly.

 

“Stop it..Kangjun ya! Ya! You wanna die?! Please…stop!” he tickled me harder and suddenly the door flung open from outside.

 

“We’re home!” uncle Hodong bursts in with a stranger following from behind. He had his cap on with a winter mafla covering half of his face.

 

Yongguk’s POV

*What is this that I’m seeing? Hae Joo…wae?* I just stood there looking at the two of them with my heart felt like it has been ripped off my body, thrown to the ground and being stomped on a few times.

End of POV

 

“Oh, appa…” Kangjun quickly gets up from on top of me and he helped me up as well. He bowed to uncle and to the stranger.

 

“What are you two been doing huh? Enough fooling around children, don’t you have anything better to do?” uncle Hodong asked with a frown on his forehead but it looks like he’s about to laugh. I quickly grab the plastic bags from his hand and bring them to the kitchen.

 

“I’ll prepare for dinner…” I told uncle Hodong and he nodded. From the kitchen I heard their conversation.

 

“Ah, Hae Joo ya…I met with your friend here outside just now, he said he’s from Seoul, that’s quite far and it’s about dinner time so I invite him in to join us. Yongguk-ssi, please make yourself at home. Kangjun, help him out with his coat.” Uncle Hodong said.

 

“Yongguk?” I said slowly as preparing the entire hot dish that uncle Hodong bought into bowls and plates. *It can’t be Yongguk, he didn’t know where this place is.* I set the table for four and later called for them.

 

“Whoa...this looks nice…but it’ll be nicer if noona cook it.” Kangjun said as he pulled the chair right next to me whilst rubbing both palm eagerly and smell the food. I smacked the back of his shoulder and he frowned, and later uncle Hodong came in with the guy.

 

“Ah, Yongguk-ssi, please make yourself at home.” Uncle hodong pulled the chair for him and as I looked at him, yes; it’s really Yongguk.

 

“Thank you sir, you’re being so nice to me…how could I ever repay you.” Yongguk told him as his eyes gazing at me but I turn to look elsewhere.

 

“Don’t mention. You’re Hae Joo’s friend, so just call me uncle Hodong. Hae Joo is like my own daughter, so I should treat you nicely as well. Let’s eat. Don’t be shy. Anyway, it’s not easy to get a taxi at this time, why don’t you just stay here tonight?” Uncle Hodong poured a glass of soju for Yongguk and he just noded as to thank him.

 

“Oh, I don’t want to trouble you sir…” he said, taking a sip on his glass and turn to look at me. It was hard to try pretending that I hate him but I really hope somehow he knew that he had hurt me by the way I acted towards him.

 

“Hae Joo ya, why didn’t you greet Yongguk? Your friend came all the way here and you didn’t even say hi to him?” uncle Hodong frowned, taking a bite on his kimchi.

 

“I don’t know him and never met this guy before.” I answered short. Yongguk frowned and his eyes widened but he remained silence.

 

“You don’t know him? But he…” uncle Hodong didn’t get to continue as I interrupt.

 

“Uncle, please don’t simply just take a stranger in with you next time, we didn’t know what their intentions are. He can say whatever he wants, plus, we’re not a charity home.” I told uncle and he turn to look at Yongguk but Kangjun cuts in.

 

“Noona, isn’t this Yongguk hyung, the guy that you lov….” before Kangjun could finish I dragged him to my side by his neck and covered his mouth.

 

“Don’t try to make assumption. Just shut up.” I let go of him. “I’m sorry uncle, I have no appetite.” I put down my chopstick and bowl and left dinner table.

 

“Noona!”

 

Yongguk’s POV

“That was strange. Hae Joo never acted that way before unless she’s really upset. Yongguk-sii…I am terribly sorry for what had happened just now. Hae Joo wasn’t in good mood since she came here to stay. I feel bad for you.” Uncle Hodong apologizes, in which makes me feel bad.

 

“It’s okay uncle. It’s my entire fault…I didn’t remember what I’ve done to her or whether we had an argument or not before she left. I will try to talk to her later.”I told uncle Hodong and he nodded.

 

“I missed the old cheerful Hae Joo, now she seems so uptight, I just hope she will be fine. So, how long have you two been friends? I didn’t get to catch up much with my niece since she moved to Seoul 4 years ago and I didn’t know much about her friends there.” He looked at me sincerely.

 

“We’re actually best friends…we’ve known each other since college.” I tell him straight.

 

“Aah...no wonder she acted that way. She would normally sulk like that too if Kangjun makes her upset and if anyone who didn’t know her might think that she’s Kangjun’s girlfriend. Kangjun is so close to her since they’re little kids.” Uncle Hodong silently laughed.

 

*Thank God they’re just cousins.* I secretly smiled, relieved to just hear that they’re not dating.

 

“Yeah…I also thought that they have something going on. A year ago I wanted to tell her that she’s someone special to me but I didn’t get to as I thought your son was his boyfriend, so I just backup and just keep my feelings to myself.” I make it a laugh and uncle Hodong smiled, he gets closer to my side and started to whisper.

 

“I think that she likes you too because the way she sulk on you and I believe that you have a good chance to win her back. You just need to tell her the truth and how you really feel…maybe you should wait a little longer for her to calm down a little.”

End of POV

 

*******************

 

“Noona, why did you act that way?” Kangjun asked me when we reached the rooftop.

 

“Acted what way? He deserve it.” I told Kangjun as I sat down at the bench. Kangjun came close to me and sit beside me.

 

“Noona, do you mind telling me why you’re so angry with Yongguk hyung? Kangjun asked me while he took off his sweater and covered my shoulder. I breathe deeply and let go hard. I turn to look at Kangjun and he frowned.

 

“I really liked him, and you know that I only love him, no one else have stolen my heart the way he did but I didn’t get to tell him that I love him because he told me that he finally had a girlfriend…” I told Kangjun and he was surprised.

 

“Noona, what we planned a year ago at the café didn’t go well? You didn’t get to tell him or make that surprise on the white day?” Kangjun seems confused. A year ago we met at a café and Kangjun helped me to plan a surprise for Yongguk as we promised to meet on white day but he didn’t show up. The next day he come and see me to tell that he’d started dating Jieun.

 

“No. I waited for him after you left and he didn’t show up. He only come to see me the next day to tell me that he had started dating our classmate, Jieun.” I look down the front yard, disappointed with the whole thing.

 

“Noona, I didn’t know. But you still love him right?” Kangjun looked at me and smiled.

 

“Yeah..I have loved him from the very first day we met, even before we had been best friends. I have always wanted to tell him but I’m afraid that I’m the only one who felt that way. I just don’t want to get hurt. But after he told me that I’m such a comfort to him and that we spent our Valentine together, I knew that I’m not the only one who felt that way. But now, I’m wrong.” I felt tears filling up my eyes but I try not to cry in front of Kangjun.

 

“I’m so sorry noona, I didn’t know.” Kangjun rubbed on my back slowly, trying to comfort me.

 

“But…the thing that makes me so angry is that I saw his girlfriend cheated on him and she even threatened me not to tell or she’ll make him hates me. I really wanted to tell him but I’m afraid that he might think that I’m just trying to ruin his relationship and I also didn’t want us to be awkward if I did tell him. I just wish that he could see that girl isn’t truly honest with him.” A tear fell down my cheek as I can’t contain my feels anymore. I started to sob.

 

“Noona…uljima…” Kangjun wiped my tears with his sleeve.

 

“How can I stop crying? I’m so hurt when that night he called me, saying he had found out that his girlfriend is cheating on him and asked me to come and see him. But when I get to the café, his girlfriend turn up first before I did then they make up to each other. If you’re in my shoes…how would you feel? He ahd totally forgotten about me, that he had asked me to come, he didn’t even care to call me telling that everything is okay or anything so I decided I should just go away.”

 

“Noona…” Kangjun hugged me and I cry on his shoulder. I have made a pool of tears on his shirt but he didn’t mind. “If I were in your shoes, I would do the same too noona. Please stop crying, let’s just go inside, it’s getting cold.” Kangjun rubbed on my shoulder and assisted me to get up.

 

“Kangjun ya…I didn’t know what to do if you’re not here now.” I told him as I look up his face and he smiled.

 

“Noona, you’re like a big sister to me, seeing you cry also had already killed me. Hmm..noona, if Yongguk hyung apologizes to you for everything, will you forgive him?” Kangjun asked seriously.

 

“I don’t know…but incase if he comes back to me, I really hope that he’ll stay forever.”

 

“I knew you’d say that…let’s go inside.”

 

******************************

 

Author’s POV

That night Yongguk stay at the house as there’s no taxi service in the area at night. He stayed at the guest’s room of the house and try to text Hae Joo.

 

Hae Joo…I’m so sorry for everything…can we talk?”

 

He sent the message and wait for her reply. Meanwhile, he reminisced on what happened early that morning.

 

FLASHBACK

“Oh hyung? Yongguk hyung is it? Kangjun greeted Yongguk as he saw him at a café in town that morning.

 

“Ah, nae…do I know you?” Yongguk asked to be sure.

 

“Oh, sorry. I’m Kangjun, I’m Hae Joo noona’s cousin.” He introduces himself and Yongguk seems surprised.

 

“Hae Joo’s cousin? Oh, please have a seat.” Yongguk offered and Kangjun pulled a chair to sit next to him.

 

“What brings you here hyung? Are you looking for noona?” Kangjun raised his brows with the question.

 

“Yes, but seems like she doesn’t want to see me. Kangjun, I need your favor…can you please help me?”

 

“Yeah, sure hyung…what is’t?”

End of flashback.

 

There’s a knock on the door that snaps Yongguk back to reality. He head towards the door and opened it.

 

“Hyung, I’ve got it. Can I come in?” Kangjun asked and Yongguk just nodded.

 

“It’s your house, why ask?”

 

“I should ask permission first hand because you’re our guest. This is what I got from noona, you should listen carefully hyung…” Kangjun took out his phone and played the recorded conversation between him and Hae Joo. Yongguk sat down and carefully listen to it. After a while the recording ended.

 

“That’s all of it?” Yongguk asked.

 

“Nae hyung…that’s the best that I could get from her.” Kangjun said and keep the phone in his pocket.

 

“Kangjun…thank you so much. If it wasn’t for you, I didn’t know what to do.” Yongguk patted on his shoulder.

 

“Hyung, you didn’t get to tell noona because of me, and noona also didn’t get to tell you that she loved you because you’re already dated someone else, also because of the misunderstanding that caused by me. I felt guilty and sorry for what is happening between you and noona.” Kangjun sighed and Yongguk put a hand on his shoulder.

 

“It’s not all your fault. I’m the one who should be man enough to tell her how I feel and because of my little mistake, I have wasted a year chasing for nothingness.” Yongguk stare at the floor.

 

“Hyung…you better do something before noona changed her heart. She told me that she might want to leave Korea soon to further her studies in design. I know that she still hope that you’ll come back to her and tell her things that she wanted to hear.” Kangjun said with much concern.

 

“Don’t worry Kangjun, I guess I know what to do.”

 

"Good luck hyung,"

End of POV