The Bitter Truth

In Case You Come Back

 

I was preparing for the picnic food and rolling the kimbap with Yongguk’s favorite fillings when he came and back hugged me. I startled and almost drop the kimbap but Yongguk just giggled and had his chin landed on my shoulder.

 

“Smells good, I can’t wait for the picnic…thanks Hae Joo..” Yongguk swung me side to side and kissed me on my cheek. I really love it when he became all loving and caring towards me and showing his affection and the fact that he loved my cooking.

 

“Here, tell me how it is” I fed him over my shoulder with a slice of kimbap and he ate it well. He closed his eyes enjoying the taste and another kiss landed on my cheek.

 

“You’re the best cook ever.” Yongguk hugs me tighter. In that sudden, his phone rang; still hugging me, he answered the call.

 

“Hey baby…nae, I’m with Hae Joo…we’ll be there soon, yeah…love you too.”Yongguk hung up.

 

Love you. How I wished those words were said to me, despite of him being so nice to me and all but it wasn’t enough and how it hurts so bad when he treated me as if I were his girl but he loved somebody else.

 

“Ya…how am I going to finish packing if you keep cuddling me like this? It’s better if you help me out.” I told him and he chuckled.

 

“Mianhe… what do you want me to do?”

 

********************************

“You’re late.” Jieun pouts as she opens the door and sits next to Yongguk, who’s sitting next to me as I’m driving the car.

 

“I’m so sorry baby…” Yongguk told Jieun and kissed her cheeks. Jieun smiled and turns to look at me.

 

“Hae Joo ah, until when do we have to ride in a car like this? Haven’t you considered getting a fancy car? It’ll be more comfortable than this 4x4…” Jieun said as she had her arms around Yongguk.

 

“Ya…ask your boyfriend to take his driving license, then he can buy a fancy new car and you won’t be late for date again.” I told her and starts driving.

 

“Aigoo…don’t be like this Hae Joo…Jieun just saying…” Yongguk wrapped his arm around my shoulder and brings my cheek to meet his.

 

“Sorry Hae Joo…I didn’t mean to…” Jieun tries to clear things up but I cut in.

 

“Hey…I’m driving…” I told him and they laughed. It has always been like this. I have no idea why Yongguk wants to drag me along on his date with Jieun. I felt like I’m spoiling their moments but he said he would bring me along because he doesn’t want me to feel lonely and he wants me to have fun as well because I’m his best friend.

 

We reached the beach and I parked nearby the shore. It was a breezy day and the beach is just breath taking. I sat at the back of my truck, facing the sea and Yongguk came up to me and pulled me down by my waist as Jieun waved from the shore, calling me to join her.

 

“Yah…I don’t wanna get wet!” I told him as he still had his hands around me.

 

“Haha…that’s the purpose coming here, to have fun, get wet and enjoy our picnic.” He told me as he drags me by the hand and though my feet reluctantly taking steps but I still followed him.

 

“Jagiya…come quick!” Jieun having fun playing with the waves and Yongguk gets to her; hugging and spinning her around. They’re having all the fun while I bitterly watching their love and affection towards each other.

 

How I wished that I was the one who Yongguk would love and care for like he loved Jieun. I hate the fact that I’m just the friend that he turns to when he needs someone to talk to and comfort him when he’s sad. Every time I want to tell him how I really feel, it seems that my tongue is locked and words didn’t come out. I’m afraid if I did tell him, things will change between us.

 

“Hae Joo ya…” Yonnguk snaps me back to reality when he grabbed me by the waist and dragged me to his side and then wrapped his hand around my shoulder and the other hand around Jieun’s waist. The three of us facing the sea and he inhaled the cool breeze.

 

“I’m so blessed for having such lovely women by my side. I have my girl and my best friend with me and I wished that this happiness lasts forever.” Yongguk closed his eyes; Jieun looked at me with a smirk and I just sourly smiled back, inhaling hard on the air I’m breathing at the moment.

 

“Honey, let’s go and have a walk…” Jieun told Yongguk and he let go of his hand and smiling at me as he walks off with Jieun.

 

*Why did I still followed you guys when my heart refuses but my feet keep on moving?* Yongguk looked over his shoulder, watching me following them and I see a little frown but then he smiled. *What was that frown for?*

 

Yongguk’s POV

I feel bad for Hae Joo but I can’t leave her alone and all I want is for her to be by my side because she’s the comfort that I need. I can’t imagine life without a friend like her. I will try my best to make her happy.

End of POV

 

************************

“Hae Joo ah…meet me at the café. I’ll wait for you. Come quick!” Yongguk called me asking to meet him. My heart flutters with excitement to just have a day sitting with him and have a talk like we usually did before. *Maybe Jieun is busy today.*

 

I arrived at the café and Yongguk waited for me upfront.

 

“Whoa…you dressed so nicely. That’s just great, let’s go in.” he grabbed my hand and lead the way in. He seems like he’s looking for someone and then he paused at the table in the corner. There’s Jieun sitting there with a nice looking guy. She waved at us and Yongguk beamed; dragging me towards the table. He pulled the chair for me and sits next to me.

 

“Hello…” I greet the guy nicely and he smiled.

 

“It’s great that you could make it Hae Joo. Oh, meet our friend, Chunji.” Jieun introduces Chunji to me and he offered a handshake. I received his hand shake and we slightly bowed to each other.

 

“Chunji, Hae Joo is a nice girl…she loves to read and cook, and she’s good at it, she’s also fun and caring. You guys should get to know each other and I could guarantee that you won’t feel bored when you’re with Hae Joo.” Yongguk told Chunji and he had his hands around me and rubbing my shoulder to comfort me.

 

“Yeah…I’m looking forward for it..” Chunji smiled, “So…you two were bestfriends?” he asked Yongguk.

 

“We are…she’s like my other half…but don’t get me wrong…Jieun is my everything…” Yongguk chuckled and hold Jieun’s hand.

 

“Seems that you two share the same interests in books…” Jieun adds in.

 

“Well, that’s something that we can talk about and it’s a good start.” Chunji said shyly.

 

“Baby, we have to get moving…” Yongguk told Jieun and she nodded.

 

“Ya…where are you two going?” I asked them as both of them had left their seats.

 

“Oh, you two should get to know each other and take your time alone. We have a movie to catch.” Yongguk told me and Jieun wrapped her hands around Yongguk’s waist as they walk out of the café.

 

“See you guys later!” Jieun said as they walk out. Chunji just giggled.

 

*Oh great…now what am I going to do here with this guy?*

 

*******************************

At the end of the day I decided to just go home because there’s nothing much that Chunji and I talked about at the café. We only talked about books that we love to read and how many puzzles that he have solved and how he met Jieun and later were introduced to me.

 

Chunji was a nice guy but he didn’t have the criteria that I’m looking for, not even close to Yongguk. As I walked down the basement parking lot heading towards the elevator and reached in between the pillars, I saw Yongguk and Jieun talking to each other, interlacing fingers and Yongguk hugging her. I quickly hid behind one of the pillars, close enough to hear their conversation.

 

“Gukkie-ah…I’ll be away next few days and I’m going to missed you.”

 

“Baby you know I’m just a call away…”

 

“How if I’m busy and you’ll get bored?”

 

“I have Hae Joo to accompany me…I can hang out with her.”

 

“Ya…she’s a girl. What if she fell for you and take you away from me? She’s a pretty girl and I’m worried.”

 

“You don’t have to worry babe, Hae Joo’s probably had found someone too right now.”

 

“Oh..haha…yeah, I forgot about her and the set up date with Chunji. I hope they’re getting along well.”

 

I try to stop my tears from falling down my cheek but I can’t. They looked so happy together when I’m the only one who suffers. It’s not that I don’t want to move on but I’m caught in between friendship and my own feelings towards Yongguk.

 

*****************************

“Why do you always have to drag me along when you guys wanna go on a date? What’s the use of me being there?” I told Yongguk when he asked me to drop him and Jieun off at the amusement park.

 

“Oh come on Hae Joo…I felt bad when I have to ask you to leave when you’re already here. I know this is your favorite place and why not since you’re here we all go and have fun. Right?” he grabs Jieun’s shoulder and she nodded.

 

“Come on Hae Joo…I’ll be away for a few days starting tomorrow and Yongguk wants to just have fun together before I go off. Let’s just play some games and enjoy the weekend.” Jieun suggested.

 

Suddenly Jieun’s phone rings and she looked at the screen, her face slightly changed with frowns on her forehead.

 

“Why don’t you answer the call?” Yongguk asked her and she stuttered.

 

“Uh? No..uhm…it’s just…” seems like she didn’t expect the call.

 

“It’s okay, just answer it.” Yongguk told her and she excused herself away from us.

 

“Hae Joo-ah…let’s go on the roller coaster ride. I know you loved all the game here. I wanna ride with Jieun but she’s afraid of heights and she hated roller coaster.” Yongguk pouts as he held my hand.

 

“But…” I didn’t get to say anything and Jieun came back to join us and snatched Yongguk’s hand away from me.

 

“Sorry it’s my boss. Let’s go and play.” Jieun drags Yongguk and walked ahead.

 

“Oh well…” I said lazily, tailing them off into the crowds.

 

 

**************************

I went to a club in Gangnam to just release some stress in the weekend. I asked Yongguk out to hang out at the noreabang and sing our heart out like we used to since high school but he was busy with Himchan in the studio, so I decided to go out with some old friends.

 

“Ya…have you told him?” Eun Young asked me as she sips on her cola. Taecyeon, who’s sitting next to her had his arms wrapped around her waist.

 

“Are you crazy? He’s dating Jieun right now…how can I possibly tell him?” I told her and she smirked.

 

“Hae Joo ah…how long are you going to suffer like this? You’re living in the same apartment building as he is and he would hang out with you most of the time, how can you just watch all the drama before your eyes?” Eun Young felt dissatisfied when I didn’t even say a word.

 

“I understand that you didn’t want to ruin your friendship but it’s either you talk to him or you move away from him…we don’t wanna see you suffer.” Taecyeon adds in. He was right but I can’t do any of that option. I just don’t know.

 

“Hae Joo ya…is that…?” Eun Young paused as her eyes were focusing over at something behind my back. I turn to look and I saw Jieun at the other side of the dance floor, kissing Chunji.

 

“You guys wait here.” I stood up and walk straight towards Jieun and Chunji. They had just break the kiss and Chunji has both arms around Jieun’s waist. She’s talking sweetly to his ears.

 

“Ya!! Jieun!” I called her out loud, she startled and I grab the beer glass from the person standing next to me and splashed it onto Jieun’s face. She was shocked by my action, so do Chunji and as she’s about to attack me, I slapped hard on her cheek.

 

“Excuse me…” the stranger voice snapped me back to reality when he accidently bumped into me  as I’m standing in the middle of the dance floor. *Gosh… I was only imagining the scene. I walked straight towards them, and they noticed me. The look on Chunji’s face was like he had seen a ghosts and Jieun whispered to his ears. Arrogantly Jieun flipped her hair and walked towards me.

 

“What a surprise to find you here.” Jieun say with a smirk.

 

“Jieun…how could you do this to Yongguk? He trusted you.” I told her with my eyes getting all teary.

 

“Hae Joo ah…you better keep this as a secret. Don’t ever try to tell Yongguk about this and what you have just witnessed.”

“You think I’m gonna let this slipped away?” I told her and her eyes widened.

 

“Listen here Choi Hae Joo, don’t think that I’m stupid for not knowing that you actually have feelings for him. You love him don’t you?”

 

I felt like my heart being crushed down and stomped on as she mention it. I looked at her and she giggled.

 

“I’m not a fool Hae Joo. I’m sick and tired hearing all the best stories about you from Yongguk, how he adored you and the fact that you’re the best friend that he wouldn’t trade for the world and all the crap there is to brag about you. I just wished that he stop talking about you and focused on us. Yeah I get bored and I went out with Chunji.” She told me without any hesitation.

 

“How could you?”

 

“If you try to tell him about me and Chunji, I won’t hesitate to tell Yongguk how much you loved him and more.” She gets closer and whisper to my ears, “And I will make up stories until he leave you for good.” Jieun chuckled and walked away with Chunji.

 

 “Why all of this happens to me?”