Sheer Boredom

Now And Always

 

Jongin kept his head moderately low, but his eyes wide open; ignoring the his unnaturally stuffy and dusty surroundings as he trained his eyes possessively at his target. He was approximately a few feet away from the heavy plastic door separating him and the crouching figure in the darkness. The space in which Jongin was stationed was filled with unlabeled boxes and cheap crates, one of them in which he was crouched in. The smell of mothballs filled his nostrils like evil smelling-salts and a dust-cap sat idly on his light auburn hair.

 

Conversely to the ordinary, he was indifferent to the discomfort.

 

His concentration was never interrupted, his headbeat steady, and his piercing gaze never broke away from the figure moving idly outside in a far more relaxed atmosphere, unaware of the predator who was perched in the shadows. Jongin watched as his target reached into the silver Panasonic refridgerator, tsk-tsked at the lack of freakishly colonial coordination of the goods within and hummed to himself; as he began arranging boxes of Rice Krispies according to their content weight. There was a mad gleam in his eyes which clearly displayed sickening contentment as he shook each box next to his ear to test the pitch of the cackling with the skill of a bloodhound.

 

Jongin was once more confirmed that his target was mentally abnormal for the third time that day.

 

With slender fingers, he reached out and wedged the door open cautiously and slightly, until a single line of light sliced into the storage room, illuminating a clean fragment of Jongin's face. Then, he raised his weapon, set it at the edge of the crate, placed his eye at the eyepiece, took his aim and...

 

Fired.

 

The bullet whizzed out of the storeroom in mute motion and landed with a painful thud at the back of Kyungsoo's neck. The fifth box of Rice Krispies crashed to the floor and he gripped at his neck, looking around frantically. Then, he caught sight of the familiar marble pellet on the floor. His eyes blazed, and his instincts were fully charged. He whipped his head around and glared with mute hatred at the door of storeroom, half-ajar where Jongin's sniping station was situated, outlined by dust-bunnies.

 

"YAH! KIM JONGIN!"

 

*

 

"You can hardly blame me," Jongin complained for the third time since Kyungsoo had dragged him out of the storeroom and given him a few whacks on the tailbone, "I was bored." He said, and kicked the bathroom door shut behind him. EXO-K's dormitory was significantly empty, except for two certain idiots who for the past few hours, had been lounging in living room doing practically nothing.

 

It had started off with an innocent game of EA's Need for Speed, K.O.F and all the other games their hyung – Kyuhyun had loaned them.

 

Then, it had gone on to an obnoxiously loud game of snap which ended with Jongin getting his forehead flicked with an elastic band and a ruler.

 

Simultaneously, Kyungsoo had gone to sleep, and Jongin had played around on his own. His solo entertainment had included talking to himself, cracking lame jokes to make himself actually crack up, practicing ttakbbam with Onew's technique and getting a sore finger, trying out a cover of his own rock version of 2NE1's 'I Love You', and doodling on Kyungsoo's sleeping face – resulting in a hilariously satisfying masterpiece and his getting himself kicked out of the dormitory for half-an-hour. He would have stayed out there longer if not for the security guard downstairs who had arrived, with an irritable report of twenty complaints from different neighbours on some kind of animal howling on the twelfth floor.

 

Finally, he had gone for the unthinkable, which included messing up the arrangement of Kyungsoo's underwear and shooting marble darts at the poor guy.

 

"Then do better at varieties," Kyungsoo snapped at him, inspecting his neck gingerly with a compact mirror with Pororo 1st edition stickers plastered over it. The dancing machine grunted and collasped in a heap next to his best friend, rubbing his wet hair with a towel.

 

"I hate them," Jongin commented sulkily, "the MCs keep expecting you to talk, talk and bloody talk, and in the end, all of it gets edited out."

 

"And that's exactly the kind of thinking that is making you unpopular with shows, hence you're stuck at home with me whilst the other members get their paychecks," Kyungsoo said, snapping the compact mirror shut with a swift click.

 

No one ever laughs when I try to crack jokes. Some of them were pure epicness itself.”

 

You mean the one with the pencil case and the chalk?”

 

Jongin threw back his head and laughed maniacally.

 

That one was epic!”

 

Yes, it was,” Kyungsoo said drily, “an epic failure. It proved to the EXOtics that you were truly an undeniable nerd. People like you should be reading on social welfare or 'Ten Thousand Ways Not To Be An Inane Slick' instead of ticking me off right now.”

 

Pay nerds some respect, chances are someday you may work for one.” Jongin parroted Bill Gates smugly.

 

A good variety star knows how to crack people up, a smart one takes the host to lunch.”

 

"Then why are you here?"

 

"I don't like varieties."

 

"Bull, you're worse off than I am."

 

"I'm too awesome for variety shows."

 

"Yeah, and you live in Mexico selling strawberry-shortcake keychains trying to earn enough for ballet lessons. I'm bored." he whined again.

 

"Go read!"

 

"I've read everything in the house."

 

"Liar."

 

"...everything except the books."

 

"Watch TV!"

 

"Hello Baby T-Ara re-run is on; right now, I've watched it about three hundred times."

 

"Go eat something."

 

"I did."

 

"Go sleep."

 

"I did."

 

Silence dawned upon the duo as Kyungsoo turned away from his friend, inspecting his cuticles. The precious silence resumed until...

 

Clank. Clank. Clank.

 

"What's that?" Kyungsoo asked, his eyes widening slightly at the noise. Jongin shrugged.

 

"Play basketball with me."

 

"I'm too awesome for basketball."

 

"No, you're too short."

 

You're a pig.”

 

Not referring to myself, but being fat is a temporary matter,” Jongin yawned, “being short, however, is permanent.”

 

Basketball,” Kyungsoo slammed down the magazine he was flipping through absently, “is a complete and utter waste of...”

 

It keeps one fit, but I don't think you've ever registered that game as a sport, just a treatment for lengthening your limbs,” Jongin interjected smartly. However, his buddy wasn't one to get tongue-tied easily.

 

My grandmother used to keep fit. She started walking five miles a day at the age of sixty. She's probably ninety-seven now and still no one knows where the hell she is.”

 

Jongin stared at him.

 

"Jaysus, just leave me alone, Jongin!" Kyungsoo eventually exploded, "go run around your room until you pass out or something, just let me be," his foot knocked against the coffee table in his agitation and a magazine slid out of place. He slid it back gingerly, the old maniacal gleam returning, as though the mere speck of untidiness was fatal. Jongin rolled his eyes at his friend's abnormality, then remembered.

 

"Say, isn't Youngjae's birthday coming up soon?"

 

Clank. Clank. Clank.

 

"Which Youngjae?"

 

"You know... Yoo Youngjae, from B.A.P."

 

"Oh, okay."

 

Clank. Clank. Clank.

 

Jongin stared at Kyungsoo expectantly.

 

"So?" Kyungsoo inquired.

 

Jongin slapped his own forehead at the sheer stupidity of his friend.

 

Clank. Clank. Clank.

 

"So... let's go shopping! We could get him something for his birthday," Jongin said, jumping on the couch like a child during Christmas.

 

"I'd rather play XBox, if you don't mind. I'd already gotten him his birthday present."

 

Clank. Clank. Clank.

 

Jongin looked surprised, "really?" he asked, "what did you get him?"

 

"A bottle of banana milk, which he conveniently gave to Daehyun."

 

Silence.

 

"Sometimes," Jongin sighed, "I wonder what kind of traumatic life you must have lived so far."

 

Kyungsoo didn't look very amused; and he lunged for his dorm-mate's neck.

 

And I,” he growled, as he shook the member's neck, “wonder if you'd ever learned to shut up.”

 

Clank. Clank. Clank.

 

"Jaysus, what is that infernal clanging?" Kyungsoo asked, unable to take it any more, and he stood up from his seat, releasing the younger irritation.

 

"I washed the toy gun with my sweater in the washing machine." Jongin said, still deep in thought about his new idea.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes were three times wider than usual as he analyzed the statement.

 

"Toy gun? My toy gun?"

 

"Yeah. It's in the dryer right now." Jongin finished and smiled with pride at his own independent thinking.

 


Sorry bout de typos earlier, i did abit of editing de morning after updating it cuz i wuz too tired b4. ㅋㅋ

BTW, Thanks, subbies! :) Lurve you guys. Thanks for those of u who had been supporting me since The Invasion Plan! :D