Dolls and Planes

Dreams and Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

They were walking towards the garden when Tiffany noticed a tree she did not see last night. She then pointed towards the sign nailed on the trunk. She read it out loud.

“Go up at your own risk, but always leave something before you go down.”

Tiffany raised her eyebrows towards Taeyeon. She looked up the tree and saw a rather sturdy tree house perched on the branches. But Taeyeon held her arms when she started to use the wooden steps nailed around the tree.

“No one has gone up there since my father and brother died,” said Taeyeon, her voice only above a whisper.

Tiffany looked at Taeyeon, but Taeyeon did not look back at her.

“Maybe it’s time that someone enters it again,” said Tiffany.

When Taeyeon hesitated, Tiffany held her hands.

“You said you trust me when you told me all about you,” Tiffany told her slowly. “Are you changing up your mind?”

Taeyeon looked at Tiffany, but she then shook her head.

Tiffany was quite impressed with how sturdy the steps were despite years of neglect. When they arrived on top, she saw that the door was locked. She looked at Taeyeon who was standing behind her.

Taeyeon realized why Tiffany came to a stop and walked towards the side of the tree house. She reached for something and came up with a key.

“You keep the key here?” asked Tiffany.

Taeyeon did not answer but instead walked to the door and opened the lock. However, she did not enter.

“You can enter first,” she told Tiffany.

Tiffany looked at Taeyeon, but seeing her girlfriend hesitate, she agreed to enter first. Upon entering, lights flooded the whole house. She looked behind her and saw Taeyeon standing on a nearby switch. When she looked back around the house, she saw that it was fully furnished for an ordinary looking tree house from the outside. Game consoles still attached to the TV were on one corner, while piles of books were beside a shelf on the other. Toy planes, robots, basketballs, soccer balls, and even a baseball bat occupied one side. However, it was clear from the dust and cobwebs that accumulated inside the tree house that no one has indeed entered it for a very long time. When she looked behind her, she saw Taeyeon looking inside but not entering.

“Come,” Tiffany motioned to Taeyeon.

Taeyeon seemed to have awoken from her daydream. She inhaled deeply before she went beside Tiffany.

“I always wondered what you did as a kid,” said Tiffany.

“Because I’m an adult now?” asked Taeyeon.

“Aniya…” replied Tiffany. “Because you still act like one sometimes,” pinching Taeyeon’s nose. “I don’t see any dolls here.”

“They’re in there,” said Taeyeon, pointing towards where the TV was perched up. When they walked near it, Tiffany realized that it was a treasure chest. She leaned down to get the TV out of the way but Taeyeon set her hands aside. She looked at Taeyeon, puzzled.

“Let me,” said Taeyeon.

When the TV was on the floor, she saw a painting of a boy and a girl holding hands on top of the chest.

“You know, wherever you brother may be, he’s very lucky to have you,” she told Taeyeon, stroking her finger on her girlfriend’s jaw line.

Taeyeon nodded, then she knelt down. She opened the chest and Tiffany saw dolls inside.

“How come the dolls are inside the chest?” asked Tiffany.

“Back then, I always wanted to play with my brother,” replied Taeyeon. “I was more interested with his toys than mine.” She pulled out a doll dressed in a pink gown which she handed to Tiffany.

“Lovely,” said Tiffany, stroking the dolls hair.

“That’s my father’s gift to me on my 7th birthday,” said Taeyeon.

“Can I keep it?” asked Tiffany.

Taeyeon looked at Tiffany.

“Why?”

“It’s pink!” answered Tiffany.

“So?” asked Taeyeon.

Tiffany gave her her puppy look.

“Well, it will be happy to have a new home than be stocked here,” answered Taeyeon.

Tiffany kissed her on the cheek.

“When it comes to pink, you really are very persuasive,” Taeyeon said, smiling at Tiffany. “What do you want for lunch?”

“Anything…” said Tiffany. “Can you go first? I’ll see what more I can pirate here…” she said smiling.

Taeyeon laughed before kissing Tiffany.

“I’ll see what I can offer you…” she said.

Tiffany busied herself with the other things inside the chest. She found more dolls and a complete tea set. When she felt hot, she decided to open the windows and sunlight entered the tree house after all those years. As she turned back towards the chest, a glint caught her eye. She peered behind the back and saw an empty bird cage beside a medium sized doll house. Her eyes softened at the thought of her girlfriend playing dolls with toy planes. She continued her search of the chest until she found a velvet box on the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter