5

Foolish Love

 

The sky was dark grey, filled with clouds. Baekhyun looked out from the window onto the chilly road, a frustrated sigh leaving his lips. The sky seemed to darken at every minute, informing people that it might burst out with raindrops. He turned to look around the bakery and sighed again. It was his turn to clean it and lock up, while his mother ran on errands and Kyungsoo focused into his exams. He the stereos and plugged his iPod before playing his favorite song. The sound of piano softly filled the room. He smiled and fished a cloth out of his pocket. He dipped it into water and started to wipe the white marble tables.

Baekhyun lifted the chairs on top of the tables’ upside-down and swiped the floors with a broom. He bent down to swipe under a table when he heard the bell of the door cling, signaling that someone just stepped inside.

“Sorry but we are closed!” he informed, without looking up.

“Oh I’m sorry, I’ll just leave then.” A familiar, deep voice boomed. Baekhyun lifted his head up in surprise. “Chanyeol?” he called.

Chanyeol froze in his place. He slowly turned around to look at the older boy. “Baekkie?” Water dripped down from his fridge, his coat was drenched. Baekhyun gave him a sweet smile as he let the broom lean against the wall. “What are you doing here?” he asked.

Chanyeol chuckled, his deep voice filling the empty room. “I could ask you the same question, actually.”

Baekhyun leaned against one of the marble tables. “My mother owns this place, so I’m helping her out.” he told. The taller nodded in admiration. “You’re a good son.” he stated.

Baekhyun froze. He had heard that same sentence before, but this time it felt different to hear. Was it because of the person who said it? A warm feeling spread in his chest as tears started to build in the corner of his eyes. Chanyeol’s smile faded away as his eyes followed a single, fat tear that had escaped from the smaller ones eye. It rolled down on his milky white cheek. Before it could reach his jaw, the taller one wiped it away with his thumb.

“Are you okay? Did something happen? Was it something I said? Please don’t cry!” Chanyeol panicked and cupped the other’s face. Baekhyun shook his head as tears continued to stream. Fat, ugly tears dropped onto the floor as Baekhyun lost control.

Chanyeol wrapped his arms around the boy, bringing him closer. “Shh… It’s alright. Just let it out.” he whispered and his back soothingly. Baekhyun hid his face into the taller one’s chest, his salty tears damping everything they made contact with as his hands fished up onto the other’s chest, wrinkling his drenched coat.

---

Tears stopped streaming. Baekhyun pulled away slightly from Chanyeol’s embrace, just enough so that he could look at his face. “I’m sorry.” he mumbled. Chanyeol smiled warmly as he the older one’s cheek with his thumb.

“It’s okay.” He looked around at the bakery. “Are you getting done in here?” he asked. Baekhyun nodded, not feeling like cleaning up anymore; after all he was pretty much done with the duty. He placed the broom into a closet, took his iPod and put his coat on before turning back to the giant. “Let’s go.”

They turned out the lights and stepped out into the chilly road. People had gone inside as the rain kept pouring down. Baekhyun locked the door. “Do you have an umbrella with you?” Chanyeol asked. The older one shook his head as a no.

“Which way do you live? I’ll accompany you, just to make sure that you will get safely home.” the younger announced. Baekhyun pointed to the left before they started their journey. Chanyeol offered Baekhyun his arm, which the older one gladly took. Chanyeol’s heart started to race faster, blush staining his cheeks. They walked in a comfortable silence, neither showing any signs of breaking it.

---

They arrived at a rather old, yet cozy looking apartment block. “I live in here.” Baekhyun announced. Chanyeol nodded as the older one searched for his keys. “T-thank you for what happened back in the bakery. And for bringing me home.” The smaller one said, butterflies flying inside his stomach. He felt like he was expecting for something special to happen, he just didn’t know what.

Chanyeol smiled heartwarmingly. “It’s alright. I hope I’ll see you more often at school and, you know, on our free time too.” he rubbed the back of his neck.

Baekhyun chuckled. “I’d like that.” He opened the big, metallic door before turning around to say goodbye his tall friend. Chanyeol placed his hand behind the older ones head and brought his lips onto his forehead. “Sleep well, hyung.” he said before he turned around to leave.

Baekhyun stood there, frozen. Butterflies flied around in his stomach, as if they were racing who was the fastest. Slowly, he brought his hand up to his forehead, his fingers tracing on the same spot where the other one’s lips had touched. A smile found its way onto his lips.

“Goodnight Channie!” he shouted into the dark, only to see the taller wave his hand as he walked away. Baekhyun noticed that the right side of Chanyeol was drenched before he turned around at a corner and disappeared. With a smile on his face, Baekhyun stepped into the building.


Sorry it took so long, I've been busy with school, just about to finish my fourth project. My oppa is such an adorable drunk! He was in a party with other college senior students, and when he came home, after locking the door and placing his keys onto the table, he hugged me and lifted me up into the air. Normally he has his ego, but he's really crazy even when he's sober :)