THE SPYING BEGINS.

It Has To Be You

Two weeks after turning down the job offer from Donghae, Eunhyuk started to regret it. It was here, in the middle of Seoul National Bank, that he stood dumbfounded at the help desk.

 

“What do you mean there’s nothing in my bank account?”

 

The woman checked it over. “I’m afraid so, sir. You’ve withdrawn your last savings two days ago, am I correct?”

 

Eunhyuk nodded, remembering he had paid for his school tuition that day.

 

The woman at the help desk examined his papers, “Well, sir… after you withdrawn that amount of money, it says you have exactly Zero Won left.”

 

Huh?

 

That was impossible.

 

Eunhyuk had that bank account since he was thirteen. No way would the money have been used up by now. Since Eunhyuk left his home and family behind to clear his head for a while, he has tried to live independently. Which also meant— no help financially. But hearing this, he couldn’t believe his ears. He had saved up enough money to live independently until the end of his senior year and he didn’t intend to ask for any money, especially now.

 

“Are you alright, Mr. Lee?” the accountant asked,

“...If you are in need of any money, we can get you a loan—“

 

“No!” Eunhyuk countered. His father would have a heart attack if he had heard what the lady said. The Lee Family never borrows money nor is offered money. Never.

 

Eunhyuk rejected the loan, bidding goodbye to the lady, and his now empty bank account.

 

‘Now what do I do?’ Lucky enough for Eunhyuk, his car gas was still full.

 

He had a feeling that someone had touched his bank account. It was impossible that his money would have been used up so early. Someone else who had access could have withdrawn some money. And he had a feeling he knew who did it.

 

Eunhyuk sighed, gearing up his car.

 

With no other person to rely on, he headed out to the one place where he didn’t dare come back to.

 

His father’s mansion.

 

__________________________________________________________________________

 

Park Gyuri laughed, almost choking on her cheeseburger.

 

Jooyeon was telling another funny story about something very provocative… again.

 

Gyuri smiled, observing her best friend, who talked on and on.

 

‘What did I do to deserve someone like Jooyeon?’ Gyuri asked herself. Jooyeon was still talking, turning to another joke about cheese.

 

A familiar ring tone disturbed their meals, and Gyuri recollected that it was her cell phone that was ringing.

 

She read the caller i.d. 아빠.

Appa?

 

Her Dad?

 

Gyuri wondered why in the world her dad would call her. He never calls in to check up, not ever since she was ten.

 

“Hello?” she answered unsurely.

 

“Gyuri? Gyuri-ah?” the familiar voice responded. Yes, it was her father.

 

“Appa! Why are you calling? What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing much. I just wanted to check up on my lovely daughter.” He laughed jokingly.

 

Check up…? This didn’t seem like something her father, Park Kyunghoon would do.

 

“But appa” she pointed out, “You never really call me unless it’s an emergency? Something wrong appa? Please tell me.” There was worry evident in Gyuri’s voice.

 

“Ah, my goddess…” his father paused, “I want to make sure you will be alright. I’m going on another business trip.”

 

Gyuri acknowledged the trip, “Yes. The trip that’s in Busan? You’ll be gone for a month, right? Be careful.”

 

Park Kyunghoon’s laughter was heard again, “But Gyuri, I called to tell you personally that… it’s you that needs to be careful.”

 

She was confused, “Huh? Why me? Appa, you need to care for your health.”

 

“No, no Gyuri. These are hard times ahead. I warn you to be careful.”

 

Her father was acting weird. He was definitely hiding something.

 

“Gyuri, you have to promise me you’ll be extra careful and make decisions maturely… alright? Just promise me.”

 

Yes. It was as if her father was hiding something from her.

 

Gyuri sighed, “I’ll be extra careful to my surroundings. Appa, don’t worry yourself.”

 

Park Kyunghoon chuckled again, bidding goodbye.

 

After the phone call ended, Jooyeon looked at Gyuri in an expectant manner.

 

“Well Gyuri…?” she said, “What happened? Your father never calls you.”

 

“I know. I wonder what that all was.”

 

Shrugging her father’s words of warning to the side, both Gyuri and Jooyeon cleaned up their table to head home.

 

__________________________________________________________________________

  

 

“Eunhyuk-sshi.” His father grinned, “What a pleasant surprise.”
 

Eunhyuk stood in front of his father, who had a big smile plastered on his face.

 

“Cut the crap.” Eunhyuk knew something was up. He went straight to the point. “Did you go into my bank account this past week?”

 

Lee Junkil shrugged. “My son, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

Eunhyuk scoffed, “Yea, sure you don’t know.”

 

Lee Junkil looked at his son with no expression, “Really. I don’t know who went into your account. Is there a reason for me to do so? I have enough money as it is.”

 

“I’m not retarded, father.” Eunhyuk looked at his father with malice, “I’ve known you since birth and I am the first person that can read you from head to foot. I am not going to put up with this like I did before...”

 

His father scoffed, “Before? Before what, Eunhyuk? Finish your sentence.”

 

“You know what I mean. You let it all happen. You let her die.”

 

Lee Junkil shook his head, “Are you still on her? You can’t get over that fact? No, Eunhyuk. No. You know me and my men didn’t kill her. I had no idea or say in that whatsoever.”

 

They both remained silent.

 

Lee Junkil stood up.

 

“You want me to cut the crap, Eunhyuk… right?” His father pulled him to his office motioning him to sit down.

 

“Since you’re here, I might as well tell you.”

 

Eunhyuk looked at his father, urging him to continue.

 

“My son, while you were gone, lot’s has happened in the gang world. I know you’ve given up your position in the team without my permission, but I cannot force you into this dangerous situation in any way.” Lee Junkil paused to look at his son’s expressionless face. He continued,

 

“A specific force in Busan is heading its way toward the korean government. This is dangerous, because we believe that they have the influence to overpower and manipulate the head. You see, we believe that they have core connections to specific people inside the government head.”

 

Eunhyuk was confused.

 

His father continued, “We believe that we can have leads to this dilemma. And Eunhyuk you’re the one that can help us.”

 

Eunhyuk pondered, “I… I don’t understand what you mean.”

 

“What I need for you to do, Eunhyuk, is to spy and get leads from a certain Park Gyuri.”

 

Park Gyuri?

 

Eunhyuk had heard her name before, but he couldn’t pinpoint where he heard it.

 

Before he had a chance to ask his father who she was, his father took out a manila folder.

 

“You see, we need a good lead. This folder contains evidence of some mysterious conversations going on between a council and the supposed gang. Park Gyuri is the daughter of Park Kyunghoon, a former councilor who I wasn’t on good terms with. We believe Park Kyunghoon is engaged in some material concerning the said gang. Something bad and dangerous.”

 

Observing the contents of the manila folder, Eunhyuk took out the remains.

 

It was a series of evidence, information and a few pictures.

 

One specific picture caught his eye.

 

 

It was a girl. The girl was around Eunhyuk’s age.

 

She had a mystifying aura that compelled Eunhyuk to examine her more.

 

She had a petite frame and soft but robust features—almost exotic-like.

 

“Ah,” Junkil exclaimed, “That’s Park Gyuri. The girl you’re assigned to get closer to.”

 

Eunhyuk shook his head. “No way! I beg to differ this girl will tell me anything.”

 

No way in hell would Eunhyuk do such a task for his father.

 

Especially something like this.

 

Lee Junkil put his hands on his son’s shoulders. “Come on, my son. I know you don’t do gang work anymore. But if you’re a true Lee and a good citizen, you would do justice for the rest of us. Fight for the good. Defeat this bad. Make sure there is no more evil coming from under the government.”

 

Eunhyuk didn’t trust his father.

 

“What makes you think I will do this for you? I’m probably being set up here. I doubt your doing this for the greater good, father. You’re probably making me do this so you kill the competition.”

 

Junkil glared, not responding.

 

“So I’m right, huh father? You want me to eliminate this gang because they are a threat, right? So that you can become a step closer to dominate in the government, right? That’s your plan, right?”

 

Scoffing, Eunhyuk stood up, looking at his father in disbelief.

 

“I’ll take my leave now.” Eunhyuk bowed once for his father.

 

Junkil grabbed his arm.

 

“My son. You don’t know what a threat they are doing as of now.”

 

Turning to look at his father once again, Eunhyuk found his father with a face he had never seen before.

 

“My son, didn’t you say you were ‘up to fight for what’s right’ ever since the killing of that boy Kangin, seventeen months ago?”

 

Kangin. Kangin was the student who attended his school. He was Eunhyuk’s friend from judo club. Kangin was involved with some dangerous men, and Eunhyuk was on opposite gang. They had no idea they were on opposite ends of a gang fight. All of the chaos, ended up Kangin being killed, by none other than Eunhyuk himself. The accident still has Eunhyuk mentally broken.

 

That specific accident started all the evilness.

 

In a way, Eunhyuk was a murderer.

 

Junkil looked at his son seriously, “This is the time to redeem yourself. I’ve given this plate to you so that you can prevent another mass devastation to happen. Feed your opponent. Lure them in. This gang is the same gang conflicted in that exact tragedy. They are linked to people all around Seoul. The members that are getting recruited are doubling; the numbers of articles about sudden unexplainable crimes and murders are off the charts. They can cause destruction all over this country.

 

Eunhyuk couldn’t reciprocate the statistics, “What do you think I can do? I will not get involved with any violence whatsoever.”

 

“You don’t need to, son. We need you to get the lowdown about what’s happening. You don’t need to do any killing or touch guns or even fight. Just be our personal spy.”

 

Eunhyuk spat saliva in mid air.

 

“No.”

 

Junkil was furious. “Do you know how much damage they are doing? By God, Lee Eunhyuk, whether or not you trust us, there are crimes being made and people being risked. You don’t want to join this team because you think we are just as evil. Understand this. In all due process, you have to open your eyes and see that this is the only way.”

 

Looking at the picture of the beautiful Park Gyuri in the photo, Eunhyuk sighed.

 

“Ok, father. I’ll help.”

 

Lee Junkil smirked at the response. “Good job, my son.” He lit a cigarette.

 

Eunhyuk heard the rustle of the leaves out from the window. He felt a sudden urge to throw up.

 

Oh God. What am I getting myself into?