Memories of Rain

It Has To Be You

Previously in the last chapter:

 

The man took out his gun and put it on Eunhyuk forehead, “I wanna let you in on a little secret.”

Eunhyuk squirmed, groaning in response.

“Don’t you want to know who killed your first love, Han Yui? Guess, Eunhyuk, guess.” The man smiled, continuing to push the gun to Eunhyuk’s head.

He had no response.

“You don’t know who killed her?~” the man teased as if singing, “You don’t know who killed her?~”

Eunhyuk looked at the man as if he was crazy. Who was this man?

“Eunhyuk, you pabo! Your father did it all! Your father killed her!” the man laughed hysterically pushing the gun further to his head.

Eunhyuk's heart stopped at the man's words.

BANG, BANG.

At that moment, two gunshots were heard throughout the factory.

______________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

        |It Has To Be You

        |Chapter 4: Memories of Rain

        |Updated: July 28, 2010

 

Setting: Backtrack to the present – EIGHT MONTHS BEFORE.

 

[2005 – Shinhwa Academy]

 

Chincha ji? Are you serious?” Gyuri stood shocked; surprised her friend would say such a thing.

“Really, Gyul! Look, since it’s your birthday, we can all have tickets to the H.O.T. reunion concert for your birthday! I know it’s not much but…”

“Are you kidding me? This is too much to ask for! I can’t thank you enough Jooyeon!”

Jooyeon let go of her act and flipped her hair, “Aha! I know, I know you’re thankful. I’m just the best, aren’t I?”

“How did you even get the tickets anyways?”

Jooyeon looked at Gyuri, “It was weird. Two days ago, I went to the supermarket. This tall, mysterious looking guy in all black was selling it. He went up to me and said he would sell it at a low price. I thought of you, so I took the offer. Funny, how you look at it, I guess.”

Gyuri gasped, “A tall man in all black? I can’t believe you even went up to the man. He could’ve kidnapped you or something!”

The two best friends laughed it off and walked to class.

A mysterious shadow of a man in all black is seen next to the trees, and the late bell signaled for class to start.

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

“Eunhyuk!” Donghae ran into the cafeteria, holding a piece of paper.

“Look man,” he started while Eunhyuk looked at him, uninterested, “I finally found us a job! Look, it’s right here, and since Gyujoon knows the owners, it will be a win win for us! We got accepted as it is. Look.”

Eunhyuk continued eating his meal showing no concern for the piece of paper.

Donghae’s smile faded, “What the hell man?”

Eunhyuk stood up, throwing out his tray, “I don’t need a job right now.”

Donghae scoffed, “Yea, bull.”

“Are you really trying to test me, Donghae? I am not in the mood right now.”

Rolling his eyes, Donghae continued to shove the paper into Eunhyuk’s face, “What’s your problem now? I thought you were over her. Just move on—”

“What did you say?” Eunhyuk countered, “What did you just say?”

“I know you heard that. Don’t stay in the past, dude. It’s been more than a year already. Just hear me out here.”

Eunhyuk frowned, “I don’t think you have any in’ right to say anything, especially right now. I need a moment to think here. Can you just leave me alone… for now, at least?”

“Man, again? I've left you to 'think' for too long. When are you going to stop stalling every job opportunity? When are you going to start thinking? Get your mind off of her, or else I’ll talk some sense into you!” Donghae slapped his arm hard, leaving the paper fall down next to Eunhyuk’s feet.

Once Donghae was out of view, Eunhyuk grabbed the paper. He read it:

Dear Mr. Lee Eunhyuk,

We are pleased to inform you that we have undergone you're resume and are thoroughly impressed. JeonHwa Services have approved to hire you as a part-time worker...

After reading the first lines, Eunhyuk threw the paper to the floor.

Boy, his father would be furious if he had seen this.

The Lee family never works for anyone. People work for the Lee family.

But Eunhyuk didn't care about what his father thought anymore. Not ever since the accident last year.

Because of the emotional hurt, Eunhyuk decided to stop his gang activity, despite his father's objection. After forcing himself out of his position, Eunhyuk fled out of his own house to live with Donghae. Til this day, he limited himself to conversate with his own family members. He wanted to get out of that evil-lifestyle and go along with the promise he had made last year.

Eunhyuk walked to the opposite exit to go to his car, not caring about the quiet cafeteria who watched the whole scene.

Getting into his car, he slammed the doors with a bang and knocked his head on the steering wheel three times. Beep beep beep.

It was at that very moment he cried.

He cried, not thinking about anyone who was looking.

He cried, not caring about what people were thinking.

He cried, as he held the picture of his only love in his right jeans pocket.

Eunhyuk took out the picture; it was a picture of a beautiful, traditional Korean girl.

She has big, deep eyes, nice white-porcelain skin and long, dark black hair. Her sweet and innocent smile was perfect. She had simple, yet beautiful features. The girl gave off a soft aura, someone of a very pure and sweet, almost cotton-candy like feeling.

Eunhyuk turned the picture around, so that he wouldn’t have to ‘see’ her face.

Thinking he would feel better if the pain from seeing her was out of his mind, he forgot about the words written in the back of the photo.

 

Han Yui 한유이

My Angel

1987-2004

 

Suddenly, it started raining. And Eunhyuk continued to cry, not caring if he missed class.

He looked up, at the misty gray sky.

The rain.

The rain always reminded him of her.

She loved the rain.

 

Flashback

 

“Oppa, look!” Yui skipped around the streets of Kangnam with her school attire.

 

It was right after school finished. Eunhyuk and Yui would always walk home together. Taking the long way back to their neighborhood, they would talk and laugh endlessly about anything. That day, it was drizzling outside.


“Lookie here, oppa!” she looked at him earnestly.

 

Much to Eunhyuk’s delight, she held out a rain droplet for him to see.

 

“I caught a cute droplet just for you. Blow on it. Blow.” She demonstrated.

 

“Yui, who blows on rain?” Eunhyuk looked at her teasingly.

 

“Oh, so your too good enough for God’s many wonderful little gifts? Just blow on it. Make a wish.”

 

Eunhyuk stopped in the middle of the street. As people continued to walk around them, passerbys wondered what the girl was holding in her hand.

 

Just so she can stop pestering him, Eunhyuk closed his eyes for a second to make a wish. He then opened them and blew out the droplet on her hand.

 

“See? No big deal.” Yui smiled purely.

 

Eunhyuk chuckled. This girl was something.

 

All of the sudden, the drizzling turned into heavy rain.

 

The crowd of people buzzed around them, looking for shelter. Walking around quickly, Eunhyuk pushed her to a nearby place which had a little roof.

 

“That’s weird.” Eunhyuk frowned as they got under the roof, “I could’ve sworn they said it would be really sunny today.”

 

Yui wasn’t paying any attention and looked at her hand.

 

“Oppa.” She said, “My wish came true.”

 

Eunhyuk looked at her quizzically, “Huh? What wish?”

 

“For it to rain, silly.”

 

“Rain?”

 

“Yep. I always liked the feeling of rain. It makes me feel safe.”

 

Eunhyuk didn’t understand her, but he unconsciously laughed. “You really think its raining cause you wished it would rain?”

 

Smiling, she patted Eunhyuk’s shoulder. “Duh.”

 

She looked up, putting her face inches from his.

 

“Let’s have a little game, oppa.

 

She pointed outward to the streets that no one can see through from the rain, “Whoever gets to our neighbor’s park last has to pay for ddukbokki for an entire month.” Yui already walked out into the pouring rain.”

 

He looked at her crazily, “No way! First, you wish on a droplet. Then you make me wish on another stupid droplet. You’re telling me it’s raining cause you wished for it to rain. And now, you want me to run with you?! It’s like buckets outside!”

 

Yui didn’t answer but jumped excitingly in place. She as she stuck her tongue out to let the rain fall easily in .

 

“Are you crazy? Come back over here, you’ll get sick!”

 

“You’re not my father. Don’t be such a wuss.”

 

Eunhyuk hated that word.

 

“But Yui, I hate rice cakes.”

 

“But I love them.” She pulled him out of the shelter, and Eunhyuk’s hair and uniform were already soaking.

 

“Might as well…” his voice trailed off.

 

Without any notice, Eunhyuk ran past her, running at a good speed.

 

“Hey! Hey, not fair! There was no signal!” Yui shouted after him, trying to catch up.

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

The two teenagers, panted for breath. They reached the playground in ten minutes time, and they were tired and hungry.

 

Although exhausted, Yui couldn’t keep the smile off her face. She had won.

 

Yui won because Eunhyuk didn’t even try. The rain had stopped a minute ago, and the sun was out.

 

While she pointed to a ddukbokki vendor, he knowingly took out his wallet.

 

Frowning, he followed her.

 

“Two ddukbokki sticks, please.” Eunhyuk said, giving the old man the cash.

 

Not in the mood for the rice cakes, he generously gave her his stick.

 

“Oppa is the best this month.”Yui waved the two sticks of ddukbokki in front of Eunhyuk’s face.

 

Eunhyuk laughed.

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

Coming home, he closed his door quietly. His clothes were still sticking to his body because of the wetness. Trying to get by to his room, he tiptoed across the large living room.

 

“Eunhyuk-ah.” A voice startled him.

 

His father was sitting on the couch, reading the newspaper.

 

He walked over to where his father sat.

 

“Why are you all wet?” His father put down the newspaper and glared at the sight of his son drenched from head to foot.

 

Having no explanation, Eunhyuk shrugged, “It started raining out of the blue.”

 

“Young boy,” Junkil tapped his shoes in aggravation, “It only rained quickly, you know that.”

 

Eunhyuk was at a loss for words. “I… I know, but—”

 

“Yui told you to do this, didn’t she.” It was more of a statement than a question.

 

His father knew.

 

“Eunhyuk… didn’t I tell you not to hang around this girl? Every time you’re with her, you come back with something out of the ordinary, and I for one, do not like it.”

 

Eunhyuk looked down to his father’s feet in guilt. “Appa, I’m sorry.”

 

“No. You’re not sorry. You can’t say that right now when you’re right in front of me, all wet and helpless-looking. The Lee family are not people who look like dogs, nor act like dogs. I’m telling you now that I don’t want to see you hanging around that Yui girl. She and the rest of the Han family are a disgrace to this rich neighborhood. I can’t imagine what things she’s manipulating you with. She’s odd. You’ll never go far in life with her keeping you down.”

 

His father was wrong.

 

Han Yui never burdened Eunhyuk in his life. She was someone pure and full of dreams, something that didn’t fit into Eunhyuk’s life. He knew very well that Han Yui was the opposite of his soon-to-be-dark lifestyle. Lee Junkil was a gang leader, and now that Eunhyuk was of age, he would be put under the pressure and follow his father’s footsteps under any circumstances. And whatever the outcome, Eunhyuk would never allow Yui to get hurt. Never, he thought to himself.

 

At that moment, Eunhyuk wanted to counteract his father and defend her.

 

Opening his mouth, he looked at his impatient father.

 

And instead of defending Han Yui, he followed his father’s orders and went straight to his room to dry himself up.

End Flashback

 

Eunhyuk looked at the gray sky.

“Bogoshipo. I miss you so much. I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to save you. I should be the one in your place, and I still regret it all. Can’t I go back and do it over again? I would give anything to let you stay in this world. I’ve given it all up just for you. I’ve given up my family for a new life. I’ve given up these evil ways, just because you said this was your only wish. If anything, I hope you’re smiling up in heaven, proud of me. But I can’t help but feel ashamed that you’re up there because of what I did.”

Ashamed of himself, Eunhyuk cried more.

 “I'm worthless. You shouldn’t have met me. You would still be skipping around the streets of Kangnam to this day, if you wouldn’t have met me. The world would have been filled with your smiling face. Why did you even like me? What was it that made you walk up to me, hang around me, and try to be my friend? I didn’t deserve your attention. Especially now, I never deserved you. But I love you all the more. I’m evil that way.”

That’s what happens when you’re the son of Lee Junkil. Evil is second nature. Eunhyuk scoffed. His father must have raised him up like that.

Eunhyuk’s head began to hurt. His heart was numb from pain and constant delusions.

With the rain continuing to fall down around his car, he closed his eyes.

He heard the pitter-patter of the rain drops.

Yes.

Maybe this is what is meant to be.

Loneliness.

That’s what you deserve, Eunhyuk.

Loneliness.

 

 

 

 . . .

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And so, the chapter ends like this. I finally updated. I plan to update once a week. :) Tell me what you think about this chapter, give me feedback, constructive criticism. Gyuri has an important role, [of course; she's the female lead] but this chapter focuses mostly on Eunhyuk. Prepare to see lot's of Gyuri in the upcoming chapters. You'll find out how Eunhyuk and Gyuri meet soon. ;D

If anyone's interested to know whose Eunhyuk's first love IN THE STORY, it is Han Yui. She was appeared on Introducing A Star's Friend, and she is now signed up in SidusHQ, soon to debut as an actress. Picture of her.

Please leave a comment. It'll only take a few seconds of your time. Comments motivate me! :D