BUSINESS LOVE AFFAIR: CHAPTER 1

BUSINESS LOVE AFFAIR

KOREA

2002

            With Henry Kim’s hand on the door handle, his features a hard, contemptuous mask, he sneered, “You’ll come back, just as soon as you run out of money.”

            Jaejoong’s face tightened with contempt as he looked at his father. “No doubt my mother didn’t trouble herself with you,” he returned sarcastically.

            His father’s gaze slid warily over his son’s tall frame and his heel, then stopped. “I loved your mother more than anybody else. But I can never have her. Not in a million years,” Henry said in an odd, tense whisper.

            “Liar. Stop pretending that you cared about her!” Jaejoong accused the older man, as the later carefully closed the library door.

           

           The last scene with his father two weeks earlier, replayed on his mind, but he pushed the memory away. He focused his attention back to what his manager was saying. “After giving it some thought, Jaejoong, as you know, you need to undergo training before you officially debut. But since you’re one hell of a talented person having music as one of your college majors, the big bosses were impressed. You will have to record a full new album starting next week.”

            “Does this mean I have the entire week for myself?” he asked, unexcited.

            “Unfortunately not. You will have to attend press conferences and TV interviews arranged by the agency. By the way, we are waiting for two more people. The three of you will work together as a group.”

            That sudden revelation made him snap his head to his manager’s direction. ‘And why the hell did I learn of this just now?” he asked. His manager sat at the chair to the other side of the table and confusedly answered, “I just learned about it too. The call I received earlier was from the big bosses. They made sure that working with two of the other guys will help. I don’t know what they mean with that but let’s wait and see.”

            “Looks like the gossip roaming around the business world is true,” announced one of the men who entered the room. “Hyung, you totally deprived yourself of the comforts of your mansion, added the second person with amusement playing in that person’s eyes.

            “What in heaven’s name are you here for?” Jaejoong asked in surprise.

            “Annyong haseyo, chibaein (manager),” greeted the two to the manager.

            “Ne, annyong haseyo. I guess it won’t be hard for you guys to work together. You seem to be very familiar with each other. Please excuse me, I have to see to something important before we proceed with the meeting.

            In unison, “Please take your time,” said the three.

 

 

LONDON

2002

            “Then fin me another prospective guy to marry!” Seoul said irritatingly.

            “Poor little rich girl,” Alex sighed. “I talked to President Yoon whether the marriage meeting with your supposed to be future husband still stands.”

            “And?” she asked, pouting.

            He rolled his eyes, “And we will have to wait till the President finds her daughter another qualified person to marry. The last time I heard, the guy got himself a record deal in less than a week.”

            “Oppa, did I ever mention that he majored in music? It’s a pity I wasn’t able to meet him. With a genuine interest in business, talented, good looking, what more can I ask for?” she teased.

            “The price of being ambitious and pre-occupied.”

            She shrugged her shoulders, looked around her London flat back to her brother’s face. “I have decided to stop modeling and get hands-on with the family business. I’m tired of working in a secluded place like this with the same everyday routine. Oppa, help me convince father,” almost begging.

            “Do you know what you are asking? This is suicide! Or are you playing a sick joke on me?

            “Yes and no,” Seoul said, staring at his brother’s distressed features.

            Not quite certain how to take her sister’s words, he said, “I’ll try and talk to him into this.”

            When she was about to speak, Alex beat her to it. “You know very well that we can’t afford to expose you. And that this decision of yours would mean otherwise.”

            “Yes I’m fully aware of this. I’ve thought about this a million times but we can always keep my identity a secret. A model with a degree in international business advertising would very well cover for it.”

            “We can’t keep this secret for long. One way or the other, people will find out. One more thing, you’re a supermodel. They will not be easily convinced that you gave up modeling for some business reason. Not when you’re at the height of your career,” Alex remarked exasperatingly.

            Rubbing his forehead with his now damp hands, he added, “You’ve been modeling half your life. You’ve done yourself a favor by landing a couple of advertisements, done photo shoots, worked as the image model for I don’t remember how many world famous designers, runway shows and just recently been the feature story of Vogue. How’d you explain that?”

            “Alex, stop fussing over those facts. You’re not helping.” She replied as they both lapsed into silence.

 

             President Yoon leaned back in his chair and scrutinized his daughter's e-mail while a frown of concern slowly formed on his forehead. A few days ago, his son, Alex, talked to him regarding the idea of letting Seoul go back to Korea after twelve long years.

             The car accident that her daughter was caught into twelve years ago pushed him to totally erase all information about her. His side of the family, the Yoons and his wife's, the Lees decided it was safer for them to let people believe that Hae-ri died in that accident. As much as possible, both clans didn't want the press to know of the real story regarding the accident. Although some writers published stories, most people believed that they were just trying to come up with something to talk about since none from the immediate family commented or gave any information on the incident.

                   It must have also been a blessing in disguise that majority of the people around them, knew her daughter as Hae-Ri Yoon alone. Aside from their families, only a few close family friends knew that Hae-ri carries another name, Seoul. With his money and vast connections, he was able to destroy her identity and named her, Seoul Lee, before bringing his family in the United States. A year after that, Seoul decided to move on a different path where no one would recognize her as the daughter to one of the world's most influencial business couple.

               His son Alex who at that time was a college freshman at the University of Cambridge, gave him an idea to stregthen the gossip that Hae-ri really died in the accident. He and his wife went back to Korea carrying with them an urn that led people to believe the truth of their daughter's death while they sent her to live with his brother in London.

                A couple of years back, he readied himself with the possibility of her daughter wanting to take over the company. Seoul had already inherited her mother's intelligence. She possessed a lively wit, an active mind and a startling tendency to think for herself.

                He shook his head in frustration. He always admired his son's and daughter's courage, spirit and compassion. But if he was to be asked whether to allow them to go back to Korea, it's too soon. TOO SOON.