Seven

Down to Earth

 

 

It has been a busy morning at the café. And it was also Jessica's first time helping out with the stuff at the place. Although Donghae had insisted that she sat at a corner and do something to occupy herself, it became too busy that Donghae's best friend, Eunhyuk, came over and gave her simple instructions to help. 

 

Jessica did the best of her ability and tried her best not to messed up anything. She did not want to cause anymore extra trouble to both the man who has been so kind to her. They also has another female worker who was working on making coffee for the customers. Her name was Min and Jessica had yet to speak to her as she had been busy since she came. 

 

The crowd was finally gone and it was only fifteen minutes passed eleven. Jessica sat down on the table and rested her head. She heard a soft tud of the ceramic cup and looked up immediately. Min, the female barista, was looking down at her. She then sat down without asking if Jessica wanted company or not. 

 

"Hi, I'm Min." She smiled and her eyes disappeared. She kind of reminded Jessica of Tiffany when she smiled and she missed it. 

 

"I'm Jessica." Jessica replied, looking at the cup filled with an aromatic drink and looking back at Min.

 

"Oh, the drink is for you. It's my speciality." 

 

Jessica smiled thankfully and tried a sip. This time, she was cautious not to burn her tongue. The drink, however, was slightly warm and when she gulped it down, the drink felt refreshing and sweet against . She took subsequent sips and Min chuckled at her cute reaction. 

 

"I heard you are living in Donghae's house?" Min asked when it felt less awkward.

 

Jessica nodded. "I was sleeping in front of his house when he first saw me..."

 

"He did mentioned you having a lost of memory. Have you ever went to the hospital?"

 

Jessica shook her head again. "I fell from the sky but I am fine." she said and Min's eyes widened as she heard that. 

 

"I was joking." Jessica laughed and Min followed. 

 

The two girls talked for a few more moments before more customers started to enter the café. Min went back to work and Eunhyuk gave her more instructions to help them out. 

 

Donghae stood behind the counter with Eunhyuk and having been watching both Jessica and Min talk. He hoped that Jessica will be able to make new friends and meet new people. Although that was not his intention for her when he brought her here, he now hoped that she could be able to talk to people and maybe try to recall something. 

 

"What are you thinking off?" Eunhyuk popped in and burst his train of thoughts. 

 

"Nah," Donghae blinked and continued doing whatever he was doing before. 

 

"Something happened before the both of you reached here, didn't it? You were holding her hand. Are you two dating?" Eunhyuk side-eyed Donghae. 

 

Donghae almost choked on his saliva. He immediately denied, leaving Eunhyuk to ponder more. 

 

"You still haven't gotten over Dara yet, right?" 

 

Donghae remained silent. 

 

"Maybe she could help you forget her." Eunhyuk continued, a little cautious about what he was saying. 

 

He knew talking about Dara was a sensitive subject for Donghae but he had to push it. The girl has left him hanging two years ago. It wasn't fair for Donghae to be still stuck here thinking of her, while she was living happily with another man, somewhere on this Earth. 

 

"It would be unfair." Donghae whispered, but Eunhyuk caught it. 

 

"But I think she likes you." 

 

"She is someone who is lost. She said that she fell from the heavens and that might or might not be true. I don't know what to believe. What is true is the fact that she is going to leave and one day someone might show up on my doorstep and take her home. Right now, I'm just taking pity on her because she have nowhere to stay and no one to be with."

 

"She's emotionally attached to you, Hae. I see it." 

 

"No, Hyuk. I think it's time for me to draw the line." 

 

Donghae walked into the kitchen, making it clear that the conversation was over to Eunhyuk. 

 


 

At around evening time, Donghae and Jessica went home after Donghae's shift was over. Eunhyuk and Min stayed behind for a few more hours till the café was nearing it's closing time. Since the both of them has yet to have eaten dinner, Donghae decided to buy some ingredients and cook back at home. He brought Jessica to a nearby supermarket and they shopped. 

 

Jessica seems fairly intrigued by the trolley and persisted to sit inside. Donghae found it hard to convince the girl that the behaviour was not suited for someone her age. Thus, Jessica ended up sitting in the trolley while Donghae pushed her.

 

By the time they went back, it was around 7:30pm. Donghae told Jessica to take her shower while he cooked. Jessica complied and realized that cooking wasn't her forte but eating was. She was extremely hungry but she also needed a place to speak with her sisters above. 

 

Jessica entered the bath and the shower. She tried and tried to make contact with either Sunny or Tiffany. Thankfully, Sunny asked her a few moments later. 

 

"Sunny-yah." 

 

"Jessica, how are you?" the latter asked. 

 

Jessica smiled and shared her morning experience immediately with Sunny. However, the girl seemed skeptical about it and told her to come to a clear head. Sunny also said that the rules that stated that they were not allowed to fall in love with anyone. 

 

"He's so charming. What do I do, Sunny?" 

 

"I don't know, Jessica. We'll try to get you back. All of us here are trying to plead with Her Majesty. You might be able to come back home soon. Alright? Stay safe and don't trust that Donghae guy or whatever. I have to go. Bye." 

 

With that, Sunny was gone. Jessica didn't liked the idea of not trusting Donghae. She believed that he can be trusted, the first time he helped her. She thought and thought, soon there was a knock on the bathroom door. It was Donghae telling her that it was time for dinner. 

 

Jessica walked out and Donghae was already sitting on the dining table. He looked up at her and motioned for her to come over quickly. She nodded and walked over. The smell of food was appetitizing. Both Jessica and Donghae started to eat. 

 

Donghae looked at Jessica eating and she looked as it she hasn't eaten for days. He assumed that it was only because of she has worked so hard at the café today. But when he thought back, Jessica always had a huge appetite for food. 

 

"Did you enjoy your day at the café today?"  Donghae asked. 

 

Jessica nodded, "It was really fun. I don't mind going back there tomorrow." 

 

"Alright, I'll bring you tomorrow if you want. Maybe we could give you a permanent job. We definitely should pay you for helping us out." 

 

"So, I get money?" Jessica asked.

 

Donghae nodded his head. They continued with a few more questions before the dishes were finished by the two of them. Jessica offered to help with washing the dishes but Donghae just told her to go the living room. Jessica said okay and walked to the living room. She couldn't a time where she explored the house fully. Thus, she decided to look around.

 

First, she went into Donghae's bedroom. There was a desk and a cupboard side by side. She walked over, wondering why she had never noticed it for the past few days. She scanned the table and it was neat. The books were stacked and aligned properly. However, there was a picture that caught her eyes.

 

It was a polaroid of Donghae and another girl. She looked extremely young and pretty. At the bottom white space of the polaroid, there were words written on it. 

 

Hae & Ra <3

 

 

 


 

How did you all find this chapter? 

I know it wasn't clear how Donghae is going to draw the line between him and Jessica but it will come in the next chapter. Not sure what kind of atmosphere you guys are expecting for the scene but expect it!