One

Down to Earth

The last thing she remembered was falling into a black hole and bam, she found herself lying on the cold, hard ground of nowhere. Her senses heightened, trying to look out for any signs of danger in the foreign grounds. But now, the surrounding was extremely quiet and there wasn’t even the humming of the breeze.

“So this is how Earth looks like?” the blond-haired girl pondered to herself.

It looked anything like what she imagined – the green grass and the sun shining brightly, the sound of water running down the stream.

There was nothing like this everything. Everything is dead quiet.

“Hello?” she called out softly, looking for signs of help. Thank God for the inventions of street lamps. It definitely helped her to find her way around this small town.

“Where on earth am I anyway?” she asked out loud. But no one asked her. Not even Her Majesty, the all-mighty and worshipped woman in the place where she came from. She was her teacher and guardian and she did warn the girl not to venture into the forbidden place that brought the two universes together.

Being the playful her, she definitely did not heed the advice of her teacher. She sighed to herself, hoping to get some sort of signals from her other friends. They should be able to realize she was already missing right?

“Jessica?” a small whisper called out to her but she turned around to find no one.

“Tiffany, is that you?” she asked warily, “Show yourself please?”

“I can’t, Jessie. I’m trying to connect to you by telepathy. So it’s quite hard to get a connection from here to Earth.”

Jessica bit her lips, “Bring me back please, Tiff?”

The girl, Tiffany, sighed. “I can’t too. Her Majesty found out that you had venture into the forbidden grounds and she is furious about it. She decided to punish you.”

“What?” Jessica raised her voice, “I didn’t mean to-“

“It’s too late, Jessie.” Another voice interrupted. “Her Majestic has passed down the ruling that you are banned from coming back here for 100 days.”

“Sunny, can’t you help me put in some good words?” Jessica pleaded.

“We can’t.” Sunny replied, “Everyone tried their best to convince her.”

“I’m sorry, Jessica.” Tiffany told the older girl. “Your powers have been taken away too…”

Upon hearing that, Jessica felt like crying. How was she going to survive here for a 100 days? No powers, no connection. She knows nothing about the human world.

“100 days will be over soon, Jessica.” Sunny assured her, “Now,  we got to go before we get caught about doing this with you. Find someone who can help you okay? We love you, be safe.”

Jessica looked around, only to find out that she was still here on Earth, in an familiar place. She felt nauseous and homesick already. How was she going to survive for another day?

“Keep walking, Jessica.” She talked to herself as she wondered through the dead town of Seoul.

 

“Excuse me miss.”

Jessica frowned as she heard the phrase. She smacked away the hand that she shaking her and continued her sleep.

“But miss, you’re sleeping outside my house.” The stranger shook his head and looked at her in disbelief.

“I got to work, so I really need you to wake up.” The man shook her again.

Jessica groaned and slowly opened her eyes. She winced a little as she let her eyes adjust to the brightness. “Why is it so bright?” she complained and then looked up at the stranger who woke her.

“And who are you?”

The man chuckled. “That’s very rude of you. You slept outside my house and you asked who I am. Shouldn’t I be directing that question at you, miss?”

Jessica rolled her eyes and continued walking forward aimlessly. The man, feeling puzzled stared at her and observe her from the back.

“I have never seen her around.” He told himself. “And is she really going to wear that while roaming around this area?” he looked at Jessica again.

The girl’s beauty had struck him at first sight. Even when sleeping, she looked so flawless and pretty. Still, he had to wake her up. It is wrong sleeping in the middle of nowhere.

 

Jessica continued her futile search as she walked aimlessly down the street. At the corner turn, she saw a shop and went inside.

Her stomach growled at the entrance of the shop. The smell of food was so inviting. She looked at the auntie expectantly and she offered her a seat and the menu.

Fascinated by the pictures on the menu, she started ordering whatever she liked without thinking if she could finish everything by herself.

“Miss, are you sure you can finish all these?” the auntie look at her. Jessica nodded and thanked her for the food.

“Aigoo, Donghae-ah.” The auntie smiled at the young lad who entered the same restaurant as Jessica. “The usual for you?”

Donghae nodded and smiled. He walked into the shop and took seat at the table that was beside Jessica.

“Great appetite for a girl.” He chuckled to himself when he saw the amount of food Jessica had order.

 

Jessica smiled to herself contently as she finished the last bite of the rice-cake. The food here taste great, she thought to herself. Without knowing the need to pay, Jessica stood up and headed for the exit.

“I’m sorry miss, you haven’t paid for whatever you ordered.” The same auntie told her and stopped her by grabbing her wrist.

“What do you mean?” Jessica questioned, “I need to pay for those??” she looked at the plates that were leftover from her tables.

She looked sheepishly at the stall owner when she had said yes. “How do you pay for stuffs?”

 

“Ajumma, I’ll pay for her first.” Donghae handed the lady some cash before turning his head and face Jessica.

“Eh, it’s you again!” Jessica pointed when she saw Donghae. “Are you following me?”