III - 我们回家吧 (Kris/Tao)

Postcard Fictions

 

 

 

It feels weird to return home to find the house empty. Pitch black. The only ray of light is emanating through the looming windows in the living room, drawing a thin path of translucent white on the wooden floor. Not only is it dark, but the silence lingering in the air is so deafening and it fills up Kris' ears with a slight whirl of hollowness. The windows are slightly opened, the cool wind of the night wafts along the curtains. 

Kris suddenly feels lonely.

At the usual timing of past midnight, Kris will go back home after completing his mountainous amount of work back in the office, and Zitao never fails to greet him with a 'oh you've returned', always wearing an endearing smile. But somehow to Kris, that smile seems forced. The house will be bright with lights, warm and comfy, despite being in the wee hours of the night. Dinner would be waiting right at the dining table for Kris, untouched and piping hot and ranked of mouth-watering fragrances. Zitao is contented with being able to have dinner together with Kris. It does not matter, even when no words are exchanged over the table.

But what Kris ever has done for Zitao, seems really insignificant. 

For Kris, all he does is treating Zitao as if he is invisible. It was like a natural process of drifting apart from each other and God knows how he does it. Ever since he has been given a job promotion in the company, his workload naturally increases and it has probably taken its toll on him. As months follow, he gradually goes back home late, not really having any opportunities to interact with Zitao. Now, he does not speak to Zitao anymore. He does not look at Zitao in the eye anymore. They have not been in their intimate moments for a long time. Is he tired of Zitao already? What does he exactly want now? 

Kris stands still at the doorstep, not bothering to put his briefcase down and all sorts of questions are burning in his mind, his eyes roaming across the living room back and forth, not knowing what to do at the moment. No lights, no food, no Zitao. He frowns.

Where's Zitao?

Thinking that he has probably gone out to run some errands, he chooses to ignore Zitao's absence and proceeds to remove his leather shoes and trench coat. But somehow, there is something uncomfortable bubbling in his stomach. He is not used to Zitao not being around him. But then again, does Kris deserve the right to worry about him? 

Just as he is about to take a step forward and head to their shared bedroom, his phone rang.

He doesn't know why, but the buzzing tone sounds sickening to the ear all of a sudden.

He answers it anyway, without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello, is it Mr. Wu speaking?" Kris finds the female voice foreign to his ears.

"Yes, who is this?"

"This is IIsan Paik Hospital calling. Mr. Huang has just been sent in due to fainting. We would like you to come over right now."

But before he catches the nurse's last statement, Kris has already bolted out of the door.

~

His heart continues to pound at a besotted speed even when he's at the entrance of the temporary bay. His hand poises above the handle, not having any guts to just go in like that. But Kris knows he is worried sick. He feels as though he has committed an unforgivable sin. How can he forget that Zitao has anemia?

He jumps away from the doorstep and stands by the wall when he hears the door open. 

"Baekhyun?" Kris whispers as loud as he can to the guy who has not noticed his presence even when he has stepped out of the temporary bay. Kris wonders why he is here.

Baekhyun wheels around in surprise by the subtle voice as he shuts the door, and  his expression turns nonchalant when he recognises the towering blond-haired guy. 

Baekhyun has been best friends with Zitao since high school. Language barriers are not a problem though. Most of the time their conversations have them doubled over in laughter because of the funny body language they use when trying to convey something to each other verbally obviously does not work. Even after Zitao met Kris, their  friendship is still as firm and stable, like the Statue of Liberty, and Baekhyun is glad it stays that way. But why is Kris jealous?

"Oh, you're here."

Kris avoids Baekhyun's gaze, feeling ashamed.

"I-Is he awake?"

"Mmm-hmm. He has been given a jab, not to worry. You can go in now. I will get going first." Baekhyun shoves his hands into the pockets of his sweater and walks away.

Kris watches Baekhyun head towards the foyer, further and further away until he disappears from his field of vision, then decides to head in.  

Not used to the anti-bacterial smell assaulting his nose, he scrunches his nose in discomfort. He scans his eyes across the bay and spots Zitao on the bed right at the extreme end, next to a window. Zitao is facing the window, probably admiring the stars in the night sky, so Kris is not able to see his face. He manoveurs his way through the stretch of beds to him.

When he sees Zitao's serene expression, his worry instantly fades.

"Zitao?"

Zitao turns his head and comes face to face with Kris. It is as though Zitao has been the most beautiful thing in his life, he smiles like he has finally got the chance to witness the said most beautiful thing. But his smile falters, looking apologetic the next second.

"I'm sorry, I should've asked Baekhyun to send me home. You could have just rest at home after a long day of work... Oh no! The cake for our anniversary!" Zitao starts to scramble on the bed frantically, and then stops when he picks up a dark blue cake box from the bedside table.

"Okay, safe and sound." Zitao mumbles in relief.

Kris does not realise he's tearing. Why am I such a jerk, I even forgot that today is our anniversary, he thinks. When he wakes up in the morning, Zitao would be already in the kitchen, preparing breakfast for him. When he's exhausted after a long day of work, Zitao would be at the doorstep, helping him take his briefcase and remove his trench coat. When he's stressed out and needs someone to talk to, Zitao's ears would be ready for him. Yet this is how he repays Zitao. 

Without hesitation, Kris goes forward and takes the box from Zitao. He puts it gently by their side, and embraces Zitao in his arms. 

It's something he has not done for a long time. He is really guilty but he is too embarrassed to apologise through words. So he decides that a hug should do the job. Kris wipes his tears away and finds himself smiling for the first time since God knows when. He vows mentally to shower him with more care and love, because Zitao is the only one he has. 

"Zitao, let's go home."