Chapter 7

99 Days

 

“What?”

You stare at Luhan’s face in disebelief and grab onto the bed’s side for  support.

“I’ve told you, we have only little time,” He frowns in impatience and anxiety.

“I’m sorry but—“

“You’re getting a second chance at life,” Luhan says clearly.  And when you stay silent, he takes it as a sign of understanding and so continues.  “Don’t ask me how you—or I—got it.  You’re just getting it.  Although not as long.”

“Is this because—“

“No, it’s not because I’ve taken a liking to you, not exactly.  But yes, it’s because you have a lot of things to do.  Things that might change someone else’s fate and destiny.  You’re meant for that much.  I’m not risking taking you away too rashly and cause unfortunate things to fall upon other people.  And I know, that those things, are as important to them as it is for you,” His gaze softens at you and now, it’s your turn to frown as you look at your shoes in thought.

“So that means—“

“But there are conditions,” Luhan says, pulling your chin up.  “I need you to focus on this.  This, out of everything, is most important,”

Frightened, you don’t have the time to think of backing away from his extremely close face.  You just listen.

“You will not be appearing as yourself, but as someone new,”

“How—“

“You’ll see,” Luhan glances around nervously, but his expression veri quickly returns to being serious and focused.  ““Your body will stay here, in a coma,” Luhan explains, taking out one of his earrings and pulling a loose string out of the hem of his shirt, and with a swipe of his fingers, turns it into a silver necklace chain.  He slips his earring into it and reaches behind your neck to latch it onto you, letting the earring drop onto your chest.  As you glance down at it, you see the earring change into a flat, round pendant, the size of a coin, with so many circles in it.  “You will wake up with a new identity, although you will still have your old one with you.  New appearance, new self, but same mind and heart,”

“If I’m going to be someone else, that means—“ You choke back and fumble around the room, looking for a piece of paper.

“What are you doing?” Luhan asks.

“This,” You write on the piece of paper, as brief as you can, and place it under Lay’s arm.

“You’re—“ Luhan frowns, but then his expression clears.  “You’re breaking up with him,”

“Mm,” You try to smile, but it comes out as a cringe. 

You know how painful it feels to be left alone by someone you love.  It’s like a hole has opened up itself in your heart and there’s probably nothing to fill it up with.  That’s why.  You’re breaking up with him.  You’re not going to let him hang on to someone who’s gone.  To someone whom he’s never going to see again.  You’re letting him go for all the better things in life. 

 

Lay, hi.

I’m sorry it had to be like this; through stupid words on a piece of paper, but I didn’t have the heart to tell you this when I was awake. 

I’m breaking up with you, Lay.

Don’t get me wrong.  I love you, always have and always will, and only death can do us apart.  But I guess it’s my time already, which is where we’ll be parting. 

Don’t hang on to me, Lay.  Leave me and let go of me.  Let me die peacefully and let yourself see all the better things in life, alright?

For the last time; I love you.

See you in the next life, I guess, if it really does exist.

Luhan stares at the letter in astonishment.  “How could you—“

“I couldn’t,” You let the tears flow, but you refuse to sob.  “I couldn’t,”

“Hey,” He pulls you into a hug, but you don’t hug back.  Your hands stay limp at the sides of your body. “Hey, hey,”

“I can see him again, right, Luhan?” You pull away and look into his face.  “Right?”

“If fate allows it, then so be it,” He says apologetically.  You know, that he has no authority to guarantee something of the sort. 

“Then fate shall it be,” You wipe your own tears away and give Lay’s face a final caress. “What are these lines, by the way, Luhan?” You ask, lifting up the pendant.

“These lines represent the time you have, for this ‘chance’ I’m giving you,”

“Why are you giving me this?”

“Now this, is simply because I’ve taken a liking to you,” He says, flashing a soft smile at you. 

For a moment you let that sink in.  You’re confused, but you don’t question him further, because you notice that the seconds on his watch are slowly approaching zero, which somehow, unnerves you as much as it does to him.  “How many circles are there?”

“99,” He checks his watch, and then sets his hands on the sides of your arms, aligning your face with his, and gazing into your eyes, as if he’s reading everything that’s going on in your mind right now.

“Which means—“

“That you have 99 days,” He suddenly leans in and presses his lips onto yours.

Your eyes go wide, but not for long, because the longer his lips stay on yours, the quicker you lose your consciousness.