Chapter 12

99 Days

 

“Bus, bus, bus!” You leap up onto the bus just a second before the door closes.  The driver chuckles at you and you grin at him, bowing your head as you take the usual seat.

Luhan [07.12]: Why so early?

[07.12]: Because I need to go to the library

Luhan [07.13]: Oh.

You roll your eyes at his reply and watch the buildings go by, without particular interest inspect the people walking down the streets.  They look happy.  Morning run with their dogs, biking with their families, eating ice cream, and just practically all smiles.  You allow yourself your own smile, bitterly sighing as you look away.  You fiddle with your phone and scroll through the pictures.  It was new, but what’s inside is what the old one has. 

The pictures were full of you, Lay, Kai, Kyungwoo and Yumi. 

Choked, you lock the screen and let it turn back as you rest your head upon the window, waiting for the bus’ arrival at your school.

And not long after, you do arrive.

“Your stop, miss,” The driver opens the door for you and you throw him a v-sign. 

“Work hard, ahjussi!”

You grin as you hear him chuckle just before the bus doors close.  Turning your back on the street, you come through the school gates and wave at the security guard.

“So early, Aeri-ssi,” He tips his hat at you.

“Library, ahjussi, I’m a very diligent student,” You put on your glasses and laugh along with him.

You turn right, taking the way that would take you into the school’s enormous library.  You’ve always liked the place.  The smell of books in the air, the overall wooden structure of the room, the sunlight that streams from the tall windows and the soft chairs that line the sides of the room, settled side by side with the plenty rows of shelves. 

Still quiet, you smile contentedly at the solitude you have and whisper to the librarian.  “I’ll be where you usually find me,”

He nods a friendly one and continues with his work of sorting the library cards.  He’s a very nice guy, probably about Junghoon’s age.  Wears round glasses and always wears a vest to work. 

“Oppa,” You call out to him and throw him a paperbag as he looks up.  He catches it with a flustered look upon his face.  “Breakfast.  And comb that hair,” You chuckle, turning your back on him.

You enter the corridors between the shelves, and take out the books you need.  Having enough, you come to sit in your usual spot, peacefully settling down for a few second, feeling the sun’s warmth on your arms, coming in through the window and watching the dust mites fly around in front of your eyes.  You blow at them, smiling as you watch them flow steadily away.  You’ve always found the little things funny.  They never run out, no matter how hard you blow at them, they just keep coming. 

Sighing, you get down to your assignments, answering the questions on the piece of paper as you read through the books you’ve taken from the shelves.  From 5 long essays, you’ve answered 3 in what feels like a really brief amount of time.

But that, of course, is not true. 

“Holy—“ You fumble with the books, closing them loudly and packing up your things.  You’re just a minute short from being late.  “But I’m not done—“ You curse through gritted teeth, returning the books you probably won’t need, but bring out two thick ones to borrow.  “Oppa! Why didn’t you remind me of the time!” You whisper in panic as you scribble down your name on your library card.

“Because—“

“Bye!” You stick your tongue out at him, turning at your heel towards the library doors with the heavy books in your arms.

Bursting through the doors, a blur of movement startles you and you stumble, dropping one of the books onto the ground. 

“Ouch!”

Gasping, you kneel down to lift the book away, which, turns out, had settled rather painfully on someone’s foot. 

“I am so sorry!” You lift it up and put it back onto your arms, standing up with a grunt and a concerned frown on your face.  “I am so, so, sorry—“

“It’s fine,” The other party a breath through his teeth and looks up to meet your eyes.  “Apartment girl!” The look of pain on his face is replaced with a spark of recognization.

You gape at the guy, who turns out to be Lay, standing in front of you with a smile on his face.  You know, the guy who took you home, the one who gave you the band-aid and the next day, you drop a book on his foot.

Stupid, Aeri.  Just plain stupid.

“Sorry again! Bye!” You shake your head and rush past him, mentally slapping yourself for acting so weird.

“Hey wait! I haven’t gotten your name!” He yells.

You look back and answer.  “Aeri! Jung Aeri!”

“Oh—Watch ou—!”

Before he even finishes his words, you trip over a step on the ground, but gladly manage to catch yourself before you tumble in humiliation down the ground.  “I’m okay!!” You exclaim without turning back and rush through the doors that would lead you to your locker. 

You are so late.