22

Right Next To Me

 

Narrator

 

Daehyun was right. Nayoung is at the racetrack. He parked his Maybach by the bleachers and watched as Nayoung did her thing.

tumblr_mh786gK6lK1rqj58so1_500.gif

A small smile appeared on his lips as he watched her silently.

From the moment he met her, he knew she was different. But one thing he never knew was that….he would fall for her.

Daehyun glanced at her purse and noticed a piece of paper in it. He glanced at Nayoung for a second and got the paper that was peeking out from her purse.

His brows pinched together as he looked at the photo. It was taken when they had stepped out of the basketball game. It was the time when Nayoung had felt so troubled. The photo showed Nayoung leaning on his shoulder.

He sighed and crumpled the paper.

 

Nayoung was panting in excitement as she slowed down on the track. This was what drag racing did to her. It made her forget her troubles even for a short while. She smiled to herself as she cut the engine and undid her harness seatbelt.

Nayoung opened the door, then she stopped. She noticed another car was parked a few yards away from her.

She looked around as saw Daehyun looking at her.

Daehyun gave her a small wave and a nod.

 

“What brings you here?” Nayoung asked as she took the seat beside him.

“Your brother’s worried sick. He has been looking for you.” Daehyun said.

“How did you know…that I would be here?”

Daehyun smiled and looked down.

“It’s quite obvious.” He said.

Nayoung shook her head.

“Earlier…the reason why…you asked me if something was wrong…is it because..” She trailed off. Daehyun nodded.

“I’m sorry, Daehyun-ah. I didn’t know it would be this way.”

“Don’t be. It’s not your fault.”

“In a way, it is. If only I had been-”

“No it’s not, Nayoung. Stop it.” He turned to look at her squarely. Nayoung flinched and looked at her hands instead.

“Actually..before I went to school, I thought about things.I don’t think I can end it with him yet, Dae.” She murmured.

Daehyun frowned and looked away.

“…Wae?”

“I don’t know. A part of me wants to let go, but..I don’t think I can.”

Daehyun looked at her then pulled her hair away from her face.

“You’re confused.” He stated.

Nayoung nodded.

“Maybe Myungsoo will accept the things I like doing. No one knows.” She stated.

“Maybe.” Daehyun nodded.

It hurt him to hear those things from her, but he knew there was nothing he could do.

 

“Ya, Shim Nayoung!” Changmin hollered as they stepped in the house. Nayoung winced a little and tried to hide behind Daehyun.

“You! How could you do this to us!?” Jaejoong was walking to them.

“Stop hiding behind Yunho’s brother!”

Daehyun turned and looked at Nayoung, then he stepped away, Nayoung gripped on his coat’s sleeve.

“Where did you find her, Daehyun-ah?” Changmin asked.

“At the drag strip.”

“How could you go there alone, at night even?” Jaejoong sighed.

“I…needed to practice oppa. Mianhae.” Nayoung murmured, Daehyun smiled at her and gently pried her hand off his sleeve.

“Then, I’ll be taking my leave. See you tomorrow.” Daehyun gave her a warm smile before turning to her brothers.

“Thank you for bringing her home, Daehyun.” Changmin shook his hand.

Daehyun nodded and walked to the door.

Nayoung glanced at him as he left.

“Oppa….”

“Your room, now. Sleep.” Changmin hissed at her.

 

 

“See? See that?” Jaejoong said as soon as Nayoung went up to her room.

“See what? Yunho hyung’s brother?” Changmin asked.

“Ani. Who brought her home? Who had an idea where she might be?”

Changmin glanced thoughtfully towards his sister’s door.

“Myungsoo didn’t even call back just to check if she came home safely.” Jaejoong muttered.

“I know about him. I…don’t support him hyung, for my sister.”

“I never did support him. He wants to change her.”

Changmin nodded.

“I need to go back to Japan next week hyung. I’m worried over her.”

“I don’t….think we need to worry that much.” Jaejoong said as he glanced at the window and saw the Maybach speeding out of their lawn.

 

Daehyun’s POV

 

“How did you know she was at the track?”

Youngjae had called as soon as I sent him a message about Nayoung.

“I just had a feeling..she would be there.” I replied.

“How did you know her so well?” I heard him chuckle.

I didn’t answer.

“Maybe you shouldn’t take my advice. Don’t be her friend, Dae.” His tone turned serious.

“It stings huh? Seeing her worry over another man.”

“…It..doesnt.” I replied.

“It will, Dae. Be careful.”

I sighed and placed my phone down.

 

Seeing her that way earlier, she looked so pale and sad earlier. It makes me doubt whether Kim Myungsoo still deserves her.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++