06

I'm sorry...

The next day Haneul sneaked out of her house early in the morning and went to a nearby café to eat breakfast. Although she had a fluffy sweater, warm jacket, scarf, beanie and warm boots she still felt the cold on her bones.

She took out a pocket mirror from her backpack and a pouder. Haneul use the sponge to gently apply a bit of makeup on her cheek to cover the bruise and frowned at the creamy sensation. She hated makeup and the feeling of having to cake her face but she needed to do that if she didn’t want anyone to notice her bruises.

Haneul looked around the cozy café and sighed at the nice atmosphere. The café was mostly made of wood and bricks giving a cozy feeling with huge windows facing the street, there were fake plants in one of the walls and photos of random places on the other one, there was this coffee tree on a cute pot at the entrance. The counter was full with pastries and the aroma, mixed with the coffee, was delicious.

She was a frequent costumer and she knew by sight at the two workers there.

I don’t even like coffee but the smell is nice.’ Haneul thought. She was about to sip on her chocolate mug when she saw a simple announcement by the cash register.

Haneul’s eyes widened and she stood up quickly, walking towards it. The guy behind the counter gazed at her through his dark bangs and smiled.

“Hi, do you need something else?” Haneul pointed towards the note and looked at him.

“Are you still hiring?” The guy blinked confused and follow her finger. He tilted his head and scratched his neck.

“Actually yes, we just hired a new guy.” Haneul’s face fell and the guy felt bad for her.

“Oh, okay… thanks.” She said softly and turned around.

“Wait!” The guy yelled and she turned to look at him. He cleared his throat in embarrassment and pointed to the back of the café. “Let me talk with my co-worker. Don’t go.” And with that he entered he walked to the kitchen.

Haneul blinked confused and walked back to her seat. She took a sip of her drink and a bite of sandwich, she checked her cell phone and saw that she still had an hour free before meeting Hoya.

Minutes later the guy walked out of the kitchen with a tall guy next to him, they were both talking and the first guy pointed over to Haneul. She stood up and walked towards them as the same guy made a motion with his hands to approach them.

“Hey, I know you!” The tall one said. “Well, not know-know but I saw you coming here almost every day.” He smiled. “I’m Lee Sungyeol, owner of this amazing café!” He said happily with his arms high in the air. The other guy poked his ribs and frowned.

“I’m the owner too. My name’s Kim Myungsoo.” He said with a smile, ignoring the glare from Sungyeol.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Yang Haneul.” She bowed and blinked at them.

“So, you were the one who asked for the job, right?” Haneul nodded and Sungyeol sighed. “But we just hire this Sung-something guy for it.” Myungsoo glared at him.

“It’s Sungjong, and I’m pretty sure we can hire her too.” He smiled at her. “Do you have any experience with people before?”

“Yes, I worked at a convenience store-“

“And why did you quit? Or they fired you?” Sungyeol narrowed his eyes at her. Myungsoo rolled his eyes and smack the back of his head. “Ouch! What was that for?!”

“You’re talking too much.” He said softly and glanced at Haneul again. “You were saying?”

Haneul looked from Myungsoo to Sungyeol with amusement.

“Well, I worked there for a month-“

“A month?!” Sungyeol yelled again and Myungsoo just glared at him again.

“And I had to quit because it was way too far for my home and my turn ended up pretty late and the road is kind of scary at that hour.” Myungsoo nodded in understanding while Sungyeol just blinked at her.

“So they didn’t fired you.” He said as a matter of fact and Myungsoo turned to him annoyed.

“Could you shut up for a minute?”

“Why?!”

“Because you’re too noisy.”

“Well, we don’t have that much of costumers so I don’t see why I have to be quiet.”

“Just shut up.”

“Yah! I’m older that you how can you treat me like that?! Besides I’m just curious; if we’re going to hire her then I need to know if she’s some kind of rebel that could destroy my precious café or-“

Myungsoo covered Sungyeol’s mouth with his hand and gazed deeply at him, the distance between the two were so little and Haneul opened her eyes in shock.

“Shut. Up.” Myungsoo said softly and Haneul saw Sungyeol’s cheeks turned pink. He dropped his hand and turned to Haneul with a smile.

“Come this way, you need to fill a few papers and you can come tomorrow for a quick lesson of how to make coffee and you can meet Sungjong too. After all you’ll be working together.”

Myungsoo motioned her to walk to the kitchen and she followed him, glancing at Sungyeol briefly. He just stood there frozen in place and a silly smile on his face. Myungsoo rolled his eyes at him but a smile either way and walked behind Haneul.

 

At 3 o’clock, Haneul walked back to her home and when she turned the corner Hoya was opening the fence of her house. Haneul panicked and yelled at him. Hoya heard his name glancing over his shoulder and smiled when he saw her a few meters away, waving her arms as if trying to catch his attention.

Hoya smiled and turned around, walking towards her. Haneul let out a sigh of relief when she saw him walking her way.

“Sorry, I went out for a walk-“ She started but shut up when she felt Hoya’s arms round her.

Haneul’s body stiffened but her heart was beating like crazy. Hoya tightened his hold on her and talked next to her ear.

“Merry Christmas, Haneul.”

A shiver ran down Haneul’s spine and she slowly lifted her arms to wrap them around his torso awkwardly. She wasn’t the type for skinship but being in Hoya’s arm was nice and warm; she felt protected. Woohyun’s hugs were always childish, like he was trying to squish the life out of her or just a quick hug with a pat on the back. But Hoya held her as she might break into pieces, despite the tight hug, she didn’t felt suffocated at all.

“Merry Christmas to you too, Hoya-ssi.” Haneul said softly. Hoya laughed and she felt the vibrations on her body. He pulled them apart with a huge smile, showing his canine teeth.

“Are you going to keep joking like that?”

“Maybe.” She smiled but kept her face down; she didn’t want him to see the blush on her cheeks.

“Well, then-” He paused and Haneul was about to look at him when Hoya took her chin gently to lift her head. His face darkened when he saw the bruise on her cheek.

It wasn’t that visible but it contrasted with her white skin. Hoya felt a wave of rage rush through his body as he clearly saw the bruise on her left cheek.

“Who did this to you?” His tone was serious and Haneul panicked. How did he saw it?! She put a lot of makeup to cover it up.

“N-no one.” She lied and stepped back. “I fell.” She scratched her temple. “I was trying to clean the snow from the entrance and slipped… my cheek hit the step, that’s why I have this.” Haneul said rapidly and mentally give herself a pat on the back.

She hated lying but she didn’t want anyone to know what happen on her house either. Just one more year and she would be able to move out of it, she saved enough to pay rent but she needed to find a good job and for that she have to finish high school first.

Hoya nodded but he wasn’t convinced at all. He had an idea of what happened to her; first the bruises on her back and now this… but maybe, just maybe his suspicions were wrong. He hoped that.

“Does it hurt that much?” Hoya asked concerned. Haneul was glad; first because he didn’t asked her more and second because he care for her.

“A little but it will get better.” Haneul touched her cheek slightly.

Hoya reached forward, fingers barely touching her cheek afraid that it might hurt her. Haneul saw his face full of concern and softened. He was getting more and more skinship as time passes and, she wouldn’t lie, she liked that. Maybe she would be able to get over Woohyun and give Hoya a chance, after all Hoya made her happy, she have fun with him and she know she can count on him for whenever she needed, she could even felt how strong his feeling are for her.

“Do you want me to kiss it better?” He said softly and then a grin appeared on her face, looking all amused by his words.

“Ugh, shut up!” Haneul hit his arm and turned around, cheeks flaming with embarrassment. Hoya laughed and ran to catch up with her.

“Why, I’m being serious.” And hell he was.

“So am I!” Hoya slung his arm around her shoulders and lead the walk.

“Why are you so mean to me?” Haneul could hear the smile on his voice and laughed.

“Where are we going?” She asked, changing the subject.

“Somewhere fun.”

 

After they went to the arcade and hang out at the mall, they went to a nearby café. They choose a table by the window as they both watched the snow fall.

“Guess what?” Haneul asked excited, her big eyes shining.

“What?” Hoya took a sip of his coffee.

“I’m going to work on a café.” She beamed.

“Weren’t you working on that store?” He frowned confused.

“I was but not anymore. This café is closer like… thirty minutes by foot?” Haneul drifted with a frown, she then nodded as if confirming her statement.

“That’s great, I should go there sometime.” He smiled at her face. “What’s its name?”

“Yeah, go visit me, it’s name is ’Paradise Café’.” Haneul returned the smile. “Do you have plans for the New Years Eve?” She asked, trying to cover the hope that he had the day off.

“Yes,” Her face fell slightly. “I’m going to visit my family.” She looked up at him.

“Really?” Hoya nodded. His fingers wrapped around the cup to keep his hands warm.

“I was reluctant to go because the last time I saw my father we ended up in bad terms but my mom called me yesterday and said that I should go; she want to end the year with the family reunited.” He gazed at her. “I couldn’t say no to her.”

Haneul smiled and, without thinking, she reached for Hoya’s hand, grapping her small one over his. Hoya’s eyes widened and his heart fluttered at her random touch.

“I’m sure everything is going to be fine.”

Haneul saw Hoya’s face and giggled. She knew that he was shocked because she never start any type of affection, she’s all punches, shoves or random pats on the back but she never initiates a hug much less holding hands. Hoya smiled and held her hand, giving it a squeeze.

“Thanks.”

Haneul smiled again and slowly let go of his hand. They chatted a little and then walked out of the café, Hoya accompany her to her house and went home just when he saw her waving by her window.

 

The next day Haneul woke up before her father and went to the café to start her ‘classes’. When she arrived it was almost 9 am and Myungsoo was already cleaning the glass door.

“Good morning.” Haneul walked up to him with a smile.

“Uh?” Myungsoo turned around with a confused face. “Oh it’s you. Hi, Haneul.” He smiled and then a frown formed on his face. “Aren’t you too early?”

“Yeah, a little.” She murmured and scratched her temple. Myungsoo laughed at her face.

“I’m almost done here, why don’t you go back there and help Sungyeol?”

“Yes, sir.”

Haneul hurriedly entered the café and Myungsoo laughed again. She seemed to be really happy to work here.

Haneul walked to the kitchen and was about to greet Sungyeol when she saw him washing dishes to f(x)’s Danger, he’s back to her and she just catch him dancing to the chorus part, his hand moving at his hips rhythm as he soaped the plates.

She blinked and couldn’t fight back the laughter that escaped . Sungyeol quickly turned around with an alarmed face.

“YAAAH!!”

Haneul bent down with laughter, hand clutching her stomach. Myungsoo came running with eyes wide.

“What happened?!” He entered the kitchen and saw Haneul doubling with laughter on the floor and Sungyeol glaring at her, hand on his chest. “Sungyeol, the water!” Myungsoo closed the tap and sighed. “You know we can’t afford to waste water like that.” He scolded and Sungyeol turned to him slowly.

“I’m having a heart attack here and all you care is the water?!!! The water, Myungsoo? Are you freaking kidding me?!!!” He yelled and Myungsoo rolled his eyes.

“I see you’re perfectly fine.” He turned to Haneul who was now leaning on the counter, whipping her tears away, one hand clutching her stomach as she took deep breaths. “You saw him dancing, right?”

“Yes.” Haneul muttered and laughed more.

“Yah! Why are you laughing?!! My dance ability is awesome.” Sungyeol crossed his arms and glare at her.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that.” She took a deep breath. “I didn’t expect it, that’s all.” Haneul sighed and smiled. “You have swag.”

Sungyeol beamed brightly and Myungsoo slapped his forehead.

“You heard her, Myungsoo? I have swag!” Sungyeol flipped his fringe and looked at her. “Hey, I think I like you already.” He smiled widely and skipped to her, arm draped around her shoulders. “I think we could be best friends!” Haneul tensed but relax once she heard Sungyeol rambling about what they could do together.

“Oh God.”  Myungsoo rubbed his face.

 

Half an hour later, a tall guy with cat-like eyes entered the café and looked around. He saw Myungsoo by the cash register and walked up to him.

“Hi.” Myungsoo jumped and looked at him startled.

“Oh, Sungjong! You scare me.” He took a deep breath and smiled. “Sungyeol is in the kitchen with the other waitress, you can go there so he can start teaching you both.” Sungjong frowned and slammed his hand on the counter. Myungsoo jumped again with big eyes.

“Other waitress? I thought you said I was the only one hired here.” He glared at Myungsoo and the older male gulped.

“Well, now there would be two.” Sungjong crossed his arms.

“But I’ll be paid as we agreed, right?”

“Yes, the fact that we have another waiter doesn’t change that.” Myungsoo relaxed as Sungjong’s face brightened with a smile.

“Okay!” He skipped at the kitchen, completely ignoring Myungsoo’s confused face.

 

An hour later costumers were already ordering things and Myungsoo was running from a place to other, constantly watching over Sungyeol as he taught Sungjong and Haneul where the things were, how the machines worked, how to prepare the coffees, etc.

Myungsoo didn’t mind attending the café alone, it was almost New Years Eve so there wasn’t that much of costumers.

When the café was alone, Myungsoo sat on one of the chairs and let out a long sigh. Sungyeol walked behind him and started to massage his shoulders.

“Tired that much?” Sungyeol said next to his ear.

“Yeah, did you finished with them?”

“I taught them the basics; they’re working on a Mocha and Americano for us.” He said happily, softly massing the knots on Myungsoo’s back.

Haneul glanced at them from behind the counter, quietly preparing Sungyeol’s Americano. Sungjong sneaked next to her.

“It’s rude to stare.” She jumped and turned her head. “Don’t judge them like that.”

“I wasn’t judging.” Haneul looked at them one more time and then focused on the drink. “They look happy.” Sungjong nodded, knowing that she might not saw him.

They ended the drinks and walked up to the couple. Sungyeol looked up and his eyes brightened at the sight of his lovely Americano, he slapped Myungsoo’s back and sat on the chair next to him.

“So much for the massage.” Myungsoo muttered and looked at the cup Sungjong put in front of him. “Is this Mocha?”

“Yup! It’s delicious, I already taste it.” Sungjong beamed and Sungyeol gave him a horrified look, pushing the cup away.

“You drank from his cup?! That’s so unhealthy! You’re fired, kid!” Sungjong rolled his eyes.

“Of course not, I made a bit more for me.”

“Oh.”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes and Haneul snorted, trying to stop the laughter. Sungyeol looked at her and smiled widely.

“You made my Americano! Let’s try it.” Sungyeol took the cup and move it a little. “Nice texture. You put the espresso first, right?” Haneul nodded and he beamed. Sungyeol lifted the cup to his nose, taking a deep breath. “It’s smells nice too.” He peeked at her and saw her scratching her wrist, he smirked. “Now to the real test.” But before he could even take a sip, Myungsoo kicked him under the table. “Yah! Why did you kick me?!”

“Stop, you’re making her nervous.” Myungsoo shook his head and did the same as Sungyeol but without a single word.

“Jerk.” Sungyeol muttered and finally took a sip at the same time Myungsoo did.

Haneul glanced at Sungjong’s calm face and couldn’t help but feel more nervous. Sungjong, despite his calm facade, he was just as nervous as her. If it weren’t for his bangs on his forehead, they could see sweat forming on it already.

Sungyeol lowered the cup and smacked his lips, Myungsoo did the same but without noise. Both Haneul and Sungjong gulped and turned to look at each other with nervous eyes.

“Change.” Sungyeol said and pushed his cup towards Myungsoo, taking his instead. He took a sip and did the same as before.

“Well,” Myungsoo started and both kids tensed. “I think is fine. What do you think?” Sungyeol closed his eyes and pinched his nose.

“I think…” Sungyeol opened his eyes and smiled widely. “I think is nice. The texture isn’t too liquid and the smell is strong enough. The taste isn’t bad too but I think you two can do better with more practice, so… Yup! You pass!” He clapped happily and took his Americano back.

“Both drinks are fine, but I have to say that, for someone who doesn’t like coffee, you did a good job with the Americano.” Myungsoo smiled at Haneul and finished his Mocha. Sungyeol and Sungjong gaped at the girl and she blushed under their stares.

“W-what?” Haneul stuttered.

“You don’t like coffee?!” Both of them yelled at the same time. Haneul flinched at the volume and shook her head.

“It’s to bitter for me.”

“Then why did you want to work on my beautiful café then?” Sungyeol asked. Haneul shuddered and looked around.

“I like it here; it’s nice, warm and quiet. It feels like home.” She said softly the last part. Sungyeol seemed to glow at her compliment and started to talk about how proud he was of this café. Sungjong nodded at him.

Myungsoo, on the other hand, wasn’t paying attention but instead his deep eyes focused on Haneul’s face. The way she said that, with so much sadness, made his heart squeeze a bit. Haneul turned to look at where Sungyeol was pointing and the light hit her cheek, making the bruise more evident under the dim light. Myungsoo frowned and was about to ask her when the door opened and a group of girls entered talking loudly.

Sungyeol turned to his workers and smiled.

“Well, you’re going to prepare the coffees while Myungsoo and I attend the clients so; go, go!” He clapped and ran to take the girl’s orders.

 

It was almost 8 in the evening when Howon entered the café and looked around. He saw Haneul’s back behind the counter and smiled, walking to one of the tables near the cash register. Myungsoo was checking some notes when he saw movements and lifted his head.

“Welcome to Paradise Café! Would you like to order something?” He said with a smile. Hoya’s eyes widened and he shook his head.

“No, thanks.” Myungsoo raised a brow. Haneul heard Hoya’s voice and turned around surprised.

“Hoya! You came!” She said happily and waved at him. Myungsoo looked at her and Haneul grinned sheepishly. He sighed and motioned her to go with her friend. “Thanks, boss.” Myungsoo snickered at her.

“Did I came at the wrong time?” Hoya asked as soon as Haneul slumped on the chair next to him.

“No, well… a bit? We’re about to close.” Haneul rotated her neck and then smiled at him. “Do you want something? I can make you a coffee if you want.” She seemed excited to do one that Hoya couldn’t say no to her.

“A Mocha would be fine.” He grinned as she stood up right away and walked behind the counter.

“Wait a minute!” Haneul looked around for a clean cup and, when she saw none, she walked towards the kitchen.

“Don’t be too shocked.” Myungsoo said as she passed by him.

Haneul frowned and when she entered the kitchen she understood. Sungyeol was dancing to Kara’s Step while Sungjong organized the dishes on the cabinet, he gave her a judging look pointing at Sungyeol. She snorted slightly and took a cup before walking out of the kitchen.

Haneul started to prepare the drink while Hoya tried to peeked at her, lifting his head as much as he can from his seat. Myungsoo saw him and shook his head. He could simply get up and approached the counter if he wanted to.

When she was finished with Hoya’s Mocha she walked to him and put the drink on the table just like Sungyeol taught her; cup on a nice plate and napkin under the little spoon. She sat in front of him.

“Woow, this is nice.” Hoya said, eyeing the cup. Haneul laughed nervously and scratched her temple.

“I’ve been practicing all day. Try it and tell me how is it. Be honest.” She eyed him and he blinked, lifting the cup to his mouth.

“When I’m not.” He said before taking a sip. Haneul gulped, trying to analyze his face. Hoya opened his eyes and hummed.

“This is good.” Haneul sighed in relief. Hoya smiled and asked her about her day.

Ten minutes later Myungsoo called her to help him close the café, she was about to lift the chairs when Sungjong came running and tell her to go clean the counter instead. Hoya watched from one corner as the team started to clean, he felt bad for just watching but Myungsoo assured him that it was fine, it was their job after all. Sungyeol came back a while later after finished with the kitchen and he eyed Hoya before walking to Haneul and gave her a paper with her schedule.

After making sure that the café’s door was close, Myungsoo and Sungyeol turned to Haneul and Sungjong and congratulated them for their first day then they waved and walked away, Myungsoo reached for Sungyeol’s hand and intertwined their fingers. Sungjong waved too and ran to the other way. Hoya looked at Haneul and laughed softly.

“Why are you laughing?” She frowned and fixed her scarf. Hoya pointed at her face.

“You look like a panda.” He laughed again and she touched her dark bags and blushed in embarrassment. At the same time, that word made her remember Woohyun and her shoulders deflated.

“It’s because I’m tired.” Haneul muttered and rubbed her eyes. “Thanks for coming, I actually thought you wouldn’t but I’m glad you did.” She smiled. “See you later then.” She was about to turn around when he hold her arm.

“Hey, I was kidding.” He said softly, a frown on his face. Haneul blinked and shook her head.

“I’m not mad. Woohyun made fun of them a lot so I’m kind of get used to it.” She shuddered and Hoya’s frown deepened.

“But I wasn’t making fun of them. I laughed because I think you look cute. Pandas are cute.” He smiled. Haneul blushed again and felt her heart fluttered at his words. “Come on, I’ll walk you home.” He took her cold hand and led the way.

“What? Wait, but is late, you’re going to be late at home.” Haneul whined and he looked at her over his shoulder.

“I want to walk you home, I need to know how’s the way too. Besides is not like someone is waiting for me anyways.” Haneul felt bad for him so she didn’t said anything else and just walked beside him.

The street was dark and there weren’t that much people around so Hoya held firmly her hand as if he was afraid to lose her. Haneul smiled, liking a way too much how protective he could be.

Twenty minutes later they arrived at her home and Hoya let go of her hand when they were in front of the fence. He noticed how Haneul tensed the moment they arrived and couldn’t help but wondered if it was okay to let her there. She turned to him and smiled.

“Thanks, for everything.” Hoya softened and put his hands on his jacket’s pocket.

“It was nothing.”

“Well, then I guess I’ll see you the next year, right?” Haneul laughed but it somehow sounded fake.

Hoya took a step closer and hugged her. This time she didn’t waste any time and hugged him too, face buried on his chest. Hoya sighed and rubbed her back.

“You can message me whenever you want, okay? And if you need anything, please tell me. I can take the bus to Seoul from there.” Haneul laughed.

“You sound like a worried parent. I’m going to be okay without you, don’t worry.” She joked.

Hoya pulled apart and gaze seriously at her. Her smile faded at his expression. His eyes traveled to her cheek and he lifted his hand, gently rubbing his thumb over the bruise.

“I’m serious, Haneul. I’m always a call away, you know I’ll there for you. You can trust me.” He said softly and Haneul felt her knees weakened.

“Aww you’re so cheesy, Hoya.” She punched his arm and laughed a bit then she softened and smiled at him. “But thank you, I… this meant a lot to me.” Hoya smiled and patted her head.

“Go. It’s freezing.” Haneul nodded and looked at him from head to toe. He was just wearing a sweater, a jacket and boots. She frowned and took out her gray scarf; she stood on her tippy toes to put it around his neck.

Hoya gazed softly at her, taking a deep breath as her scent filled his nose.

“It’s freezing and yet you wear nothing warmer than that.” Haneul said as she fixed the scarf. “Let me know when you’re home, uh?” She walked away, waving her hand.

Hoya saw her walked away with a smile on his face, the scarf was still warm and it made goose bumps on his skin.

Haneul hurriedly to the door to opened it as quietly as a mouse to get inside. She closed softly the door and walked up the stairs, eyes and ears alert, afraid that her father might appeared from nowhere. Haneul let out a sigh of relief when she made it to her room safe and walked to the window, she smiled when he saw Hoya still waiting outside. He made a salute motion and laughed at himself, she laughed too and did the same as him.

Haneul laid down on her bed and rolled on her side, a content sigh escaping her lips. Today was a great day. Her first day on the café was good and she learned a lot of things, she met Sungjong who is a sweet but brave boy and she was glad that he was his partner on the café. Myungsoo and Sungyeol were nice to both them and even Hoya went to visit her, just as he had promised.

Her phone vibrated on her pocket and she reached for it, thinking that it might be Hoya, but her face fell and her heart squeezed when she saw a message from Woohyun. Haneul opened the message and she let out a shaky breath.

She was expecting at least an apology for not going to the competition; she didn’t want an explanation but just an apology for not being there when she needed him. Instead just a ‘Merry Christmas’ with a heart next to it wasn’t something she wanted from him.

Haneul locked her phone and dropped it on the bed before walking to the bathroom to take a hot shower.


- - - - - - - -

There's Myungsoo, Sungyeol and Sungjong on this chapter. I actually got inspired by two friend's personality for Myungyeol couple haha and I couldn't not add Sungyeol+coffee, that's a lovely otp <3
but anyways, I hope you're enjoying this fic so far, let me know your thoughts, likes or dislikes on your comments or twitter :3