Flashbacks

Aftermath

“Hyukjae ah! Are you going to wake up or do you want a good karate chop to the head?!” yelled Donghae down from downstairs.

 

“Mergh…Coming honey…” The said husband grumbled, ruffling the top of his hair with his robotic arm.

 

It had been many years since that incident, A.K.A 9/11. The buildings had turned from a skyscraper, into a pile of rubbish in more than a couple of seconds. Everyone was scattered throughout the city, panicking and wailing in vain at the unfortunate turn of events, while police and firefighters were desperately attempting to evacuate all the citizens and visitors out of the state, before the heavy, toxic fumes from the debris would kill them all. (A/N: I’m pretty sure this is not what happened at 9/11 but I decided to put it in there for extra measures.) Fortunately they succeeded the mission moving everyone from a rather post-apocalyptic New York City, to its neighboring state, Pennsylvania.

 

*Flash back time.*

(Courtesy of Siwon. Yeah, I know, I broke the mood.)

 

Donghae had not received any of the messages from Hyukjae until he arrived back home from some early grocery shopping. When he did get home, a friend of him called, asking if he saw what was happening today. The brunette was confused, and the TV to see what was happened. He watched in sudden horror as the North Tower collapsed from the damage, followed by the South Tower.

 

Donghae quickly remembered that Hyukjae was there, and picked up the home phone. (A/N: Donghae doesn’t have a cell phone. His friend also called on the home phone. Don’t ask me why.) He looked at the dimly lit screen of the device, and read the digital characters on the monitor.

 

3 missed calls.

 

He worriedly pressed on a button, listening to the recorded messages by Hyukjae. By the time he got to the last one, he was already on the floor, wide eyes from shock, and long puddles of water forming from his eyes, streaking down his delicately framed face. Sniffles and whimpers filed the silent void in the room.

 

No, this can’t be. Is he playing a joke on me? No, that isn’t possible. He would’ve replied by now. I can’t believe this happened. We just got married a few months ago. Why God, if there is one, why did you let this happen?

 

He then heard a couple of knocks on the door. The male attempted to regain as much of his composure as he could. He walked and opened the large piece of wood. A police officer was standing outside, waiting patiently. He looked up to see who had opened the door.

 

“Sir, I’m afraid you’re going to have to leave the area. The debris from the towers and planes are giving off poisonous fumes and it’ll soon spread over all of New York City and more. Everyone has been told to evacuate the area Sir,” he explained in a stern voice.

 

“Ok, I understand officer. Can you please wait for a moment?” he asked.

 

“Sure. I’ll be waiting here until you’re done,” the man replied monotonously.

 

“Thank you, Mr.”

 

Donghae closed the door and quickly grabbed a red duffel bag. He then proceeded to pack some random paraphernalia, starting with necessities first. After doing so, he grabbed his wallet, some miscellaneous shorts and t-shirts, which were scattered about his bedroom, and finally, a picture of him and Hyukjae on their date, enjoying their first kiss. He stared at the photo for quite a bit, tracing a finger over Hyukjae’s face, before shaking his head of the memories and slipping the photo into his jeans’ pocket. He quickly ran downstairs with his now completely filled bag, hopped into the policeman’s car, and they drove off. Donghae looked behind him, glancing at his house one last time and then moving his head, only to be gazing at the clouds of toxic smoke whirling in the air, like how the souls who died were dancing and flying up in sadness and happiness into heaven, staining the once clear blue skies with a murky gray.

 

The police officer drove him to a fellow cousin of his, and dropped him off. The family welcomed him in his arms and led him into the cozy shack, where after they showed him his room, he quickly locked the door, and sulked in the corner, not moving once.

 

Donghae cried in misery for days, blaming the fault on himself. No one could get him out of his bedroom, and he starved himself for hours.

 

Time Skip…

 

It had been 5 days since the tragedy happened. Most of the residents and tenants could go back to their homes now without choking on any poisonous gases, including Donghae, who trudged back to his home in a depressed state. The environmental experts and everyone else volunteered to clean up the debris. They attempted to discover if there were any bodies that were intact, but so far, they could only find disembodied parts, such as hands or fingers. Everyone was beginning to lose hope of finding any survivors. That is, until one day.

 

A coworker and friend of Donghae, Jonghyun, was helping to clean up the debris, when he noticed something twitching amongst the trash. At first, he thought it was nothing but just his imagination, but then, it kept moving, causing his friend to be filled slightly with suspicion and excitement, as he dropped his shovel and began inching toward to the budging lump. He gingerly removed the pieces of airplane and tower, letting out a quiet gasp when he realized what it was.

 

A hand. Not just any disconnected hand though, but an arm connected to the appendage too. Jonghyun quickly pushed all the garbage away, only to reveal a completely intact, still faintly breathing man. He had fatal injuries, including a rather blood gushing deep wound at the wrist of his hand, staining the area around the hand a dark, purplish red.

 

“Onew hyung! Key! Minho! Taemin! You guys have got to see this,” he shouted out, cupping his free hand around his mouth.

 

4 other boys immediately ran to the scene. The oldest one then spoke. “What is it Jonghyun- Oh my Shisus! Who is that?!” he loudly asked, eyes wide open at the unconscious body.

 

“I don’t know hyung, but we have you get him to a hospital stat,” answered Jonghyun in a grave voice.

 

The small group quickly and gently held the limp person in their arms to their van, and drove to the nearest hospital.

 

Key got off the van and ran inside the building, blabbering at a nurse about the anonymous man. A team of nurses and doctors help carry the person, firstly bringing him to the emergency room, where they immediately treated his injuries.

 

Onew, Jonghyun, Key, Minho, and Taemin were sitting in the waiting room patiently when a random doctor came up to them.

 

“Hello there, I’m Dr. Yesung. I’ve been told that you have brought in a survivor. Well, you're in luck, we’ve managed to heal most of his wounds, and he just needs to rest in the hospital for a few days,” he explained, pausing a bit before continuing. “Unfortunately, we can’t figure out who he is unless we get a proper blood test, but he has lost too much blood to perform the operation.”

 

“Oh okay. Thank you for the information Dr. Yesung,” said Taemin in a polite tone.

 

“No problem kid. By the way, you can go visit him if you like.” The doctor then went to go check on a different patient, leaving the small crowd outside alone.

 

“Well, what are we standing here for? Let’s go!” demanded Key, dragging the members along with him to room 856, where the unknown man was currently resting.

 

When they barged into the room, they found the male, sleeping deeply and peacefully by the window, although he occasionally murmured some words and furrowed his eyebrows a bit. Jonghyun strained his ears to hear what he was saying, but could only make out “strawberry milk” and “Hae”.

 

Hae. The name rolled off his tongue. That name sounded so familiar. Think back Jonghyun, where have you heard that name before? Hae, Hae, Hae, Donghae…Donghae? Wait a minute. Donghae was talking to me one time about his husband or something like that. It was like Eunhyuk or something…Hyuk…Hyuk…Jae…Hyukkie? No, but then- Then it decided to slap some reality to his face. He realized who it was. It was so clear, so clear to him when he knew. Pabo Jonghyun!

 

“Guys…I think I know who he is,” he stated to his fellow friends.

 

“Well, who is he?” They asked in an annoyed voice, wanting to know the identity of the person.

 

“It’s…Henry…”

 

~Yeah, I left it at a cliffhanger once again. You weren’t expecting that weren’t you? Huh? >:3

This will be a twoshot, I post the 2nd part of it later, but ‘til then…I’m trolling you. TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! :D