Chapter 26

All I Want is You

It took approximately half an hour for the judges to come up with a decision, during which Luhan had somehow slipped between Sehun and me and had begun to enthusiastically elaborate on the choreography. He explained to me that he, Yixing and Sehun had drawn a significant portion of their inspiration from observing the human behaviour, and that they had transfigured the simple gestures into elaborate dance moves with entrancing finesse.

I had to admit, Luhan’s enthusiasm made me interested with everything he had to say, and I marvelled at how he was so dedicated to the thing he loved. Although he and Baekhyun travelled in different circles and excelled in different fields, his passion for dancing reminded me of the affection Baekhyun held towards his guitar and singing. I knew how much Baekhyun treasured his voice, not out of vanity but because of the fact that he considered it as everything he had, the only thing that made him one step closer to his dreams.

“Tell me what you think,” Luhan suddenly said.

I looked at him confusedly. Sehun had slunk away sometime during our conversation and it was only Luhan who stood with me now, looking at me with a beseeching look in his eyes that begged me to tell the truth. I saw the expectation in them, the hopefulness that he didn’t disappoint.

I smiled. “Both of you were amazing,” I said truthfully.

Luhan’s eyes lit up and he grinned happily.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the judges have come to a decision. Would the contestants kindly step on stage as we announce the winners.”

Luhan’s eyes widened, as if he was surprised that the judging happened so fast. I gently pushed him towards the stage, urging him to go. Luhan stumbled after the other dancers, all colour drained from his face as he realised that this would be the closing ceremony of the night, the end that determined if his hard work had resulted into a satisfying victory.

He suddenly looked like a lost child, gazing me with a nervous and terrified look in his eyes. I smiled at him, giving him a thumbs up to encourage him.

Luhan nodded and marched up the stage with renewed determination. Yixing was already there, and they immediately converged together to murmur words of encouragement and squeeze each other’s shoulders for reassurance. I saw Yixing mouth something to Luhan, to which Luhan responded with a small laugh.

“It’s a tough competition,” a voice that I immediately recognised as Sehun’s said to me. I whirled around, surprised to find that he had suddenly materialised at my side. He looked as grim and grave as the other dancers on stage. “A lot of people are rooting for Jongin, but there’re also some who liked Luhan-hyung and Yixing-hyung’s performance.”

“Who do you think the judges would go for?” I asked, my eyes wandering towards the multiple faces in various stages of anxiety lined up along the stage.

“Time to find out, I guess,” Sehun replied, just as the emcee stepped forward, holding a white envelope with the winner’s name inscribed on the pristine white paper.

“A round of applause everyone, for the dancers who performed tonight!” he said, waving the card as he led the audience into an outstanding round of ovation. “We have twenty groups performing tonight, all equally brilliant, all incredibly talented. They step forward onto this stage to shine with their own skills, to bask under the limelight and the exhilarating feel of performing before an audience.” Cheers greeted this one, mostly from the dancers standing around him. “However,” he said once they calmed down, his voice low and mysterious, “there will be only one winner.”

Anticipation silenced the crowd. The laughter and talk rippled before slowly fading into complete stillness. Sehun had ceased from moving, his eyes trained onto the stage and the people that ringed its centre. He was staring at the envelope both warily and impatiently, his fingers curling and uncurling in expectancy.

The emcee announced the third place winner.

Cheers and applause speckled with the undulating murmurs of conversation accompanied the girl who stepped forward to claim her prize. She was beaming happily, bouncing in her steps as she took the trophy presented to her by one of the judges.

Sehun had now gotten a hold of my hand, gripping it tightly.

“It was a close competition, and the judges certainly found it vexing to be forced to choose between them. However, they came to the decision that the person to receive the honour as the winner of the Grand Seoul Ameteur Dance Competition is none other than... KIM JONGIN!”

The screams that erupted after Jongin’s name was announced pierced through the steady rhythm of the sloshing water, drowned out the sound of passing cars from the nearby intersection. Hoots and cheers –loud, ecstatic –seemed to fuel Jongin’s smug triumph. His lips stretched into a lopsided smirk as he sauntered forwards to accept his trophy, performing an elegant bow to thank his adoring fans.

I tore my eyes from Jongin to search for Luhan and Yixing, immediate sadness wallowing up in me. I saw them standing a little away from the crowd, detached but still smiling as they congratulated Jongin with ]light claps. Yixing looked amiable, accepting his defeat as any good sport would, but Luhan looked a little downcast, his eyes mirroring his disappointment as he tried to force a smile. They stepped forward to accept their trophy when their names were called, and I was glad that they received a response that was not far from Jongin’s standing ovation.

“Oh well,” Sehun said, shoulders sinking as he stared at the stage in disappointment. “There’s always next time, I guess.”

I reached up to pat his back soothingly.

When everyone dispersed and the contestants began to stream down the stage to join the crowd, Sehun immediately dragged me towards Luhan and Yixing, keeping a tight grip on my hand to keep from losing me. Being taller and possessing a much sharper vision, he spotted them long before I did.

“Hyungs!” he yelled, squeezing himself between a group of girls while I trailed behind him, apologising on his behalf.

“Hey guys,” Yixing said with a half smile when he spotted us.

“It’s okay, Hyungs. To me you’re still the best,” Sehun said cheerily, obviously attempting to cheer them up.

It worked; Luhan and Yixing both managed to crack small smiles at the boy’s optimism.

“He’s right, you two did wonderfully,” I said truthfully. “I’m sure you’ll win next time.”

Luhan smiled at me, but a frown creased his features when his eyes landed on a spot between Sehun and me. He raised his brows at Sehun.

“What?” Sehun said innocently.

Luhan continued to eye him.

Sehun grinned. “Relax Hyung, I’m just kidding with you. Here.” He let go of my hand and pushed me towards Luhan. Surprised, I ended up stumbling with Luhan catching me. “She’s all yours,” Sehun sniggered. I could see Yixing smiling next to them.

I glanced up and realised how close I was standing to him. Luhan, too, seemed to realise it and quickly pulled his hands away, clearing his throat and avoiding my eyes. A faint blush tinted his cheeks.

Sehun and Yixing seemed to find the exchange extremely amusing.

“You’re right, Sehun,” Yixing whispered quietly to him. Sehun grinned.

“So where should we do now Hyung?” he asked. “Should we celebrate?”

“Have fun then,” I said, glancing at my watch. “It’s getting late. I should be getting home.”

“Wait!” Luhan said, suddenly grabbing my wrist to keep me from leaving. “Do you have to go so soon? Can’t you stay a little longer? To celebrate I mean.”

“I don’t know,” I said hesitantly. “My curfew’s at ten thirty.”

“I’ll bring you home before then.”

Seeing the hopeful look in his eyes made me cave. I sighed and nodded with a smile.

“Excellent!” Sehun said, pumping his fist. “Should we go grab some Chinese food? It’s just down the –”

“Sehun?” Yixing suddenly said, interrupting him. “I think we’re going to have to leave Luhan and Yoora to themselves this time. I need you to come with me and help me with the trophy.”

Sehun looked crestfallen. “But it’s just one trophy. You can carry it -”

“Sehun,” Yixing said warningly, shoving the trophy into his hands. He turned to face us, the pleasant smile back onto his face. “Have fun guys.”

He grabbed Sehun’s arm and started towing him into the crowd, Sehun complaining all the way.

“You know I don’t mind having you guys walk around with that,” I said to Luhan. “They should come with us.”

“Yixing’s very careful about his trophies,” Luhan said. “He wouldn’t want to scratch it.”

“But he should be here to celebrate. I mean, you two did work hard -”

“Yoora,” Luhan said, his voice low and soft, “Yixing and I meet up every time. I can celebrate with him whenever, but you...,” he smiled, “I only have until ten-thirty, don’t I?”

He sounded genuinely sincere, too eager to have me celebrate his second-place win with him. “Alright,” I agreed, deciding not to pursue the topic. “Where do you want to go then?”

The child-like joy that lit up his eyes made me smile. “First up: dinner. I’m starving.”