The Moment I Knew

In the Wind

It was supposed to be a day of joy, a day of happy smiles and carefree laughter. Sehun had put on his best outfit that highlighted all the perfections of his body. His hair was done handsomely, just the way he knew the other would like it. It was his birthday, and he had invited many people to ocme over to celebrate his day of the year with him. They all smiled to him, asking him eagerly how he was doing. Was he still into dancing? Was he still the handsome young man who was really just a child at heart? Was he still madlessly and irrevocably in love with Lu Han?

Lu Han promised him he would come, told him that he would be there on his birthday party, no matter what. He would be there when Sehun would blow the candles, make a wish that would have already come true, and eat the cake together. He said he would be there, and Sehun believed him.

Yet, the hours passed by way too quickly all of a sudden, and happy chatters did not seem to reach him anymore as his gaze remained fixed ot the door, hoping for that one person to barge in and say 'I'm sorry I'm late' so Sehun could tell the other that he better make it up for showing up late. Yet, that door remained closed, causing somethign inside of him to break apart.

Lu Han's friends were present too, and noticed Sehun's longing stare way too soon. Yixing was the first one to approach him, patting him on the shoulder before saying apologetically, 'Maybe he got busy, I'm sure he would've come if he could', but they both knew better. Zitao was the second person to come up to him, glancing at him sympathically before throwing an arm around Sehun's neck, trying to cheer Sehun up with some cheeky remarks. Yet, all Sehun could think of is how there was one thing missing on the party, one essential thing that he had waited for the whole time.

Sehun took a deep breath before rushing to the bathroom, locking the door before slumping down on the ground, a painful feeling gnawing at him as he let the silence wash over him. It did not felt right anymore, nothing felt right anymore. All he could feel was this disappointment dancing inside of him, tangoing with this hauntingly beautiful realization of the truth. A lone tear slipped from the corner of his left eye as he buried his face in his hands, feeling so horrible and sad that he did not even know what to do anymore.

He got back to where eveeyone was, and all eyes were on him instantly, his crying face way too obvious to not attract any attention. Sehun did not know what to do, did not know how to face everyone and explin to them why he was crying on such a day, a day that was supposed to be a good one. All he could do was think how this one person he wanted to impress was not here today, how this one person he wanted to see did not show up on such an important day.



"I... I'm sorry I couldn't show up today, Sehun-ah," Lu Han said through the cell phone, his voice soft and careful.

Sehun smiled sadly at this, his gaze lingering on his piece of cake that he had not touched, "I'm sorry too."

He should have known. He should have known it that Lu Han would not show up, would not even if he had nothing else to do. When Lu Han called him right after the party was over, Sehun finally knew it., finally understood something that made him cry silently as he held his cell phone against his ear, waiting for the words that the other would never say.