Contusion

Love In Focus

 

Myungso, Yuri and Kyuhyun are sitting at the last rows of their English classroom. They are starting on their English assignment, recently given to them. 

Yuri’s back is straight like a board, her feet are laid straight and flat on the floor and her palms are pressed on her slender thighs. The rough texture of the fabric of her plait blue and red knee-high skirt, diverts her attention away from her rapidly beating heart. Thank goodness Myungsoo cannot hear my heart beat. She thought. He is sitting right next to me… this is the second time.

 

She can see Myungsoo’s spotless English book’s perfect blue lines, ruled across a white page. Black ink drains from his sleek, black pen as he writes in perfect cursive writing and then underlines: ‘Contusion, by Sylvia Plath’ onto the page, exactly, on the line.

 

Next, she watches as he grabs his black iPhone 5 and runs his finger down the screen. “The oxford dictionary says that contusion means a bruise. Any other ideas?” He says in a harmless and warm tone.

 

His voice… is harmless and ‘warm’.

 

Yuri pleaded for her eyes to not shy away from the chocolate brown eyes that were now calmly staring at her. His long, thin, black eyelashes gives his eyes grace and gentility. She thought. Oh right, contusion, contusion means?

 

“Contusion means or indicates a human’s inner deterioration physically, and possibly emotionally.” She managed to blurt out.

 

Both Myungsoo's and Yuri’s head turn simultaneously towards Kyuhyun. "Any ideas, Kyuhyun?"

Four feet away from her table, Kyuhyun is perched on the white windowsill of a wide square-rimmed glass window. The golden and silver sun hanging silently in the sky behind him, casts and traces a golden outline around his 170cm medium build. 

Turning her head to the left and not looking up, Yuri’s eyes can only sight his dangling legs and feet. And so she had to jerk her head up to look at his head.

 

“Huohuohuo…” He laughs, and then shrugs. “I dun know.”

A silence.

First in Physics and he does not know?

“That is okay man.” Myungsoo replies.

 

Suddenly, a 155cm Sunny with short, silky, strawberry blond hair approached their desk. She was wearing a plait blue and red dress that was four centimeters above her fair-skinned knee and there were four brown and white skinny bracelets coiled around her left wrist. Her curvy, rosy lips moved up and down as she spoke the words: “Who was that laughing?”

That voice is confident… her dimples. Are pretty. 

“Was that you Kyuhyun?” Sunny began to laugh. “Haha, cool laugh. So you guys going to the dance party in two months. Yea, I know it's early. But why not be excited now. There are no events to look forward to anyway. Only Valentines Day; but that’s after the dance party. So you guys going to go?”

“Yea, I guess I will go.” Myungsoo replied.

“Yea I will go…” Kyuhyun replied.

Myungsoo turned her exotic small, dark brown coloured eyes - framed with long, thick and abundant lashes directly at Yuri’s eyes. “And Yuri?”

I have not even asked my parents yet. 

“I do not know, I have to ask my parents."

“Really? Come. It is going to be fun. There is going to be dancing, food, music. Alright cyas. Tell me if you are going yea?” Sunny turned her back on the English pair and began to walk way. Then she abruptly stopped, turned around to face them again and questioned: “wait, so you guys have anyone in mind you want to go with?”

Myungsoo clasped both his hands together. He then leaned his head on top of it. “Not yet.”

“Me too. Do you?” Kyuhyun said.

“Yes. I do want to go with someone. Just waiting for him to ask me out.” She laughed and then winked. “laters.” She scanned her eyes from Kyuhyun to Myungsoo. She eyed Myungsoo for at least four seconds.

 

Another silence.

Kyuhyun dropped his body off the ceiling and landed swiftly on his two feet. “Yea, can you give me the poem? I will give you an answer of what contusion or whatever means after I read it.”

Myungso hands his English book to Kyuhyun.

“Thanks.” Kyuhyun says and then positions the book under his nose. “I will read it out loud?”
Myungsoo nodded his head. “Go for it.”

Kyuhyun’s tone of voice instantly changes as he reads:

 

Color floods to the spot, dull purple.

The rest of the body is all washed-out,

The color of pearl…

 

He sounds actually passionate and serious, so much different from his quiet, boyish voice. Yuri thought.

 

Then Kyuhyun stopped reading.

 

“BUAHA-.”

 

Nevermind