White Paper, Blue Ball-point Pen and... Liquid Paper?

Love In Focus

 

A large, square rimmed window hung beside her black and white bed. Purple lilies stood quietly by her window like palace guards. The light from the hanging porch light squeezed through the window and showered onto the floor, outlining the window frame and the purple lilies.

 

Yuri felt the weight of the white mattress on top of her. It is like a marshmallow. The colour, the texture, the soft feeling.

Her bemused dark brown eyes were directed to the top of her neatly arranged drawing-covered ceiling. Particularly towards a drawing sketched in a blue ball-point pen on a smooth white sheet of art paper.

I drew this drawing on the same day I drew the draw I gave to Myungsoo.

She slowly moved to her side, pulling her blanket along with her with her right hand into a snuggly position. An array of new creases marked the blanket.

She remembered the events four days ago with Kyuhyun.

 

The sea obsessively,

One hollow the whole sea's pivot. A pit of a rock..." she looked at Kyuhyun as she recorded. His face was peering down at the paper under his nose. His eyes were calm and his face was composed. She moved her head away from the camera to look at him with her own eyes.

His lips; those lips that made her wonder, moved as he spoke and emitted such a humble, gentle yet boyish voice.

It sounded like it would not hurt a fly. She looked away from it.

The sea obsessively,

One hollow the whole sea's pivot.”  

Then she remembered: "BUHAHA!" 

She covered her head rapidly with the blanket. 

After, she moved the blanket slowly away from her head and scrunched her eyes. She felt like her heart was screaming.

Who do I like? 

 

***

 

Radioisotopes have… Myungsoo scribbled with his sleek, black pen in his cursive writing. An atomic number greater than

A chorus of screams belonging to his mother, emerging from the kitchen downstairs entered his room.  “Myungso! Eat rice! Now!”

Clack

Myungso instantly dropped his pen onto the hard surface of his polished, black oak study table.

As he endeavored to leave his room, he stretched his arms and legs. Then, he looked left and right at his surroundings. For a few seconds he turned immobile and his world dissolved away.

His eyes were engrossed by a hand-drawn drawing in a blue ball-point pen on a smooth white sheet of art paper.

Then his eyes became lost in a reminiscing moment…

For an English ‘study buddy’ assignment, Myungso and Yuri were assigned to sit and work together. As Myungso endeavoured to comprehend the teacher's words a blank countenounce took over his visage. She talked about this yesterday, didn't she? He thought. Then, his eyes peered towards the silent Yuri next to him. She seemed to be drawing or writing, and, covering her work.

His mind was bombarded by ten rational posibilities. 

She cannot be writing. The way she her pen. The time for the is seven seconds, too long for writing a single letter. She randomly pauses too. He thought. 

“What are you doing? Have you found out an example of how journey facilitates growth and maturity in The Lovely Bones yet?” He tried to sound as polite as he could.

Yuri did not reply. She wore a focused countenance. Her eyebrows arched. pursed. 

Too interested in what she is doing to notice me? He thought. 

Myungso repeated her name in his neutral, serious and warm tone. “Yuri…?”

Yuri moved her hand away from what she seemed to be covering.

At the sight of her work, Myungsoo's eyes widened. “Wow, Yuri… did you draw that?” He raised his index finger towards her drawing.

Yuri instantly covered her drawing.

“Yuri?” Myungso repeated.

Yuri did not look him in the eye. “I forgot that you were sitting next to me. I… I did not want you to see it.”

“Why so shy for…? It looks nice.” Myungsoo's happy and positive tone sent a rush of happiness through her. 

“You think so?” Yuri looked up at him. Her alarmed eyes locked into his. His eyes are lighter than mine. She thought.

Myungso smiled. “Wh—of course. You should be more positive and confident about your drawings. You seem to have put in effort and they look cool.”

Yuri’s inside turned upside down. She felt an emotion she rarely felt. It is nice being praised. She thought. “You… you really think so?” She extended her ear. She wanted to pay closer attention to his tone of voice, to detect a hint of deception.

She noticed instantly that he was becoming uncomfortable, when he replied in a croaky voice: “Ye—“ He cleared his throat. “Ahem ahem! Yea… I think it looks nice.” He turned away from her, back to looking at the board. “Who are you planning to give it to?”

“I am planning to… throw it away.”

His eyes widened. His body hastily turned towards Yuri. “You can’t do that. You can’t do—noo.” He put a hand to his head, like he was troubled to the extent where words could not express his troubled feelings. “Can I have it?”

He sounds uncomfortable. Yuri thought.

Swip.

Yuri slid the paper to Myungsoo. “I change my mind. Can I trust you to look after it?”

Myungso blinked.

He could now hear the sound of crickets outside his window. He could feel the cold blanket of air of his room that embraced him.

He walked up towards the drawing, to touch it.

He extended the tip of his index finger towards the drawing. When his finger contacted the smooth paper, he used the back of his hands to slowly and gingerly it.

Suddenly, his eyes projected rapidly to a minature ‘flaw’ at the bottom left-edge of the paper. Is that liquid paper? He thought. As if he was mimicking the movements of a slivering snake, he ran his finger from its previous position down to the liquid paper. I wonder what she wrote on it?

With his fingernail, he began to dig the liquid paper off. 

His eyes widened.

This was such a surprise.

So it is a word?

It is a K.

What is the rest of the word?

Then he eagerly thought: I need to dig off the rest of the liquid paper.

“Myungso! Ear rice! It is going to turn cold!”

Myungso blinked his eyes four times. He returned back to reality.

Another time.

Myungso ran downstairs to eat rice.