Midnight

Into the Night: Cinderella's Lie

The unusual sound of an owl hooting echoed throughout the street.

People looked up to try and find the bird, but then, their soon attentions turned to the sound of a gun and the screams of a woman.

A man was dead.

Murdered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yellow tape was put up around the area surrounding the body. Officers kept the curious crowd back as the detective in charge survied the scene. Even though Eli Kim was the youngest detectives in the force, he still was the best. Yet even the rookie prodigy was stumped.

Nothing. There were no visible clues. No hints to suggest as to why this man was killed.

"Eli!!!" a voice from the crowd called.

He looked up to see a young man about his age waving over to him. He wore brown jacket and had a camera hanging around his neck. The man's bright smile at this time made it clear who he was. Kevin Woo.

"Are you just going to pretend you don't know me?" he yelled again.

Eli smiled and signaled to the offiicer to let Kevin in.

"Thanks for coming. I know you just got back." Eli greeted Kevin with a handshake. "How was the trip? Your mom feeling better?"

Kevin yawned, "A little too long for my taste... On a happier note, my mom is doing great. The doctors back in the States are doing a pretty good job. Anyway let's get to work."

Camera adjusted and the lens focused Kevin began to take pictures of the crime scene.

"Victim's name is Moon Shinhyo, a college student at Hangeng University. Turned 20 years old today." Eli stated reading the few notes he wrote down.

Kevin stopped for a moment, "Only a year younger than us? What kind of trouble did he get into?" It was hard for Kevin to imagine doing anything worth getting killed for by 20. Then again, he had always been that child your mother always compared you to...

"Presumed cause of death is thought to be a gunshot through the heart, but the bullet has yet to be found." Eli sighed, "Other than that, I have nothing. No one saw anything before the shot was fired and after the shot was fired, still nothing!"

All the pictures Kevin needed to take were done. He looked through his shots and noticed something crushed under the body.

"Hey Eli..." Kevin began, "Did you look under the body?"

"Yeah, there wasn't anything except for a crushed flower petal."

Then Eli thought about it again. Where was the flower? Sure it could have been left there long before the murder, but the petal was still  clean. Crushed, but still pretty clean.

He crouched down to the ground. Upon closer inspection, Eli caught something new. Shinhyo was holding on to something. Inside a loose fist, Shinhyo held a flower.

A lotus.

"I think I might have an idea who did this..." Eli muttered to Kevin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The police began wrapping up the crime scene when the coroner's van pulled up.

"Let's get back to the station." Eli commanded everyone.

Kevin began to walk to Eli's car, but then, something caught his attention.

Someone actually...

A girl.

She pushed through the crowd demanding to know what was going on, but when she saw the blood, she grew silent. Tears poured out as she watched the coroner take the body away. Her make-up was completely ruined, but she didn't care at all. A hand was held over to keep sobs from escaping.

There was something about her emotions that seemed different than the rest. Something more than simple shock. Without even realizing what he was doing until it was too late, Kevin took a picture of the girl.

"Kevin?" Eli asked, curious as to why his friend was standing still "Are you coming?"

"Yeah, just let me-" Kevin turned to find the girl again, but she had disappeared.

Did she know something? Was she just shocked?

"Is something wrong?"

Kevin shook his head, "No, just thought I saw something..."

Whoever that girl was, it didn't matter now. He would probably never see her again. Still, that didn't stop Kevin from looking back again.

"Let's go Eli. The sooner we get this done, the sooner I can get to sleep."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She ran as fast as her trembling legs would allow her.

Tears still fell down her face, blurring her vision.  

Yet that image was clear as day.

The image of his body lying in that pool of blood was burned in her mind.

"I promise... I'll fine who did this to you..."

 


Thanks for waiting for this chapter to come out! ^^

I hope you like it so far and that you're not mad at me for taking forever to update!

Next chapter you'll meet the heroine of the story :)

Stay patient and comment below!

Bye!