The Headquarters

Lovestruck

 

 

 

“Are you coming in, or not? What’s it gonna be?” A woman dressed in a blue dress and sneakers calls out from the other side of the door, causing both myself and Jongin to jump a little in surprise.

I pull the dark-skinned dancer inside the building with me and the woman scurries past us like a squirrel or something.

To be honest, I have a couple of well-chosen comments to make about Love Gods who always leave at the last minute for the matchmaking and then create a ruckus because they might not make it. Then I remember that I am also one of those Love Gods, so I decide to keep silent instead.

Meanwhile, Jongin is making circles around our disco ball which is hanging off the ceiling, mesmerized.

“It’s supposed to be a miniature globe.” I explain absent-mindedly. “The small lights you see stand for all the happy couples in the world.”

“Oh! That’s awesome.” Now he seems even more entranced by it. Just my luck.

“Come on. Head Cupid is going to kill me anyway. Might as well make it quick.” I grab the ends of my hoodie that he’s wearing again and drag him towards the elevator.

“Who’s Head Cupid?” Is the first thing he asks when his attention is back on me.

“My superior.” I sigh.

“Is he that bad?” Jongin pouts next to me.

“He’s the kind of person who puts a ‘-nim’ at the end of his name. In other words, a narcissistic, vain, self-important sadistic-” ert.

(A/N: In Korean ‘-nim’ is a suffix added to someone's name to show great respect)

“Aigoo, D.O. yah, you finally came to see me!” A loud voice interrupts me and I make a mental note keep my mouth shut from now on. Like… for good.

Head Cupid wraps one arm around my shoulder, trapping me in a headlock. “I heard that, by the way.” He breathes creepily in my ear as I sense getting dragged out of the elevator and inside his office.

“And who might that be?” Head Cupid has the audacity to pinch Jongin’s sides, completely disregarding the fact this is a minor and that was a crime.

I cough loudly to show my obvious discomfort and thinly-veiled disgust. “This is Kim Jongin.  He’s eighteen.”

And I don’t know exactly what I expected from the Head Cupid, but leaning closer to Jongin and playing with his hair, was definitely not it.

“Nice lips, Kim Jongin.” My superior whispers seductively at the kid. “And my name is Kim Heechul, but you can call me Heenim.”

“He’s the Head Cupid.” I add, feeling surprisingly fearless and annoyed with Heechul sunbae. Since, I’m going to die anyway, I might as well protect Jongin’s innocence as much as I can.

The dancer nods, looking helplessly at me.

“So… why is this cute boy in my office?” Head Cupid plops on his leather chair and crosses his arms. “Care to explain D.O. yah?”

It’s a nice way to put it, I suppose. Considering that we are talking about Heechul sunbae…

Now, do I care to explain? Not particularly. If possible, I would prefer to generally avoid meeting with Head Cupid until I have grown enough muscles to defend myself. Or until I have figured a way to use my wings to fly away from danger. And since both ideas sound kind of unlikely for the near future, then at least – at least until Jongin becomes someone I am not crushing on. Preferably an adult too, because Head Cupid has already been warned once by the police about harassing others.

“Are you spacing out again D.O. yah?” Sunbae bites – not literally, thank god. “Instead of explaining, are you making me waste my precious time for nothing?”

Aish. I didn’t even ask for this job. Why do I have to do the most unbelievable things and be bullied by the most impossible people for 1,600,000 won?

“Again, spacing out? Really?!” A piercing voice (courtesy of the Head Cupid) and a shy nudge from a trembling Jongin brings me back to reality.

Right. Might as well get this over with.

“Well… that’s pretty much it.” I cough awkwardly after finishing with a deliberately brief, yet not at all flattering account of yesterday’s events.

“So.” Heechul sunbae pauses, mouth forming an ominously thin line. “Not only did you matchmake a couple that was not in your list, but you also managed to mess it up.”

I nod.

“And, just to be clear, you didn’t just ruin the fated meeting, but you also made one of the lovers fall for you?” Head Cupid’s long, claw-like hands clench and unclench spastically.

, I should have developed some muscle power when I had the chance. What do I do? What do I do now?!

Maybe I could just take Jongin’s clothes off and throw him at Heechul sunbae as bait.  That would definitely keep the older man’s hands busy till I escaped to safety. However, the mental images alone are too cruel and I decided against it.

Besides, if I ended up taking the boy’s clothes off, I don’t think I could hand him over to anyone else, at my current state.

I inwardly slap myself for this comment.

Let’s tone down the creepy a little…

“A-And you tried to use a correction arrow, but you just hit yourself with it and –for the love of…- now you’ve fallen for him too.” It’s a clear statement, rather than a question, yet I still nod in shame.

“And after that of course you run out of correction arrows.” Well, I already said all that, so is it really necessary to rub it in?

“And you thought it would be freaking wise to tell this kid everything about us after all that!” He shrieks making me wince in my seat.

“D-D.O. hyung didn’t do it on purpose!” I snap my head up to glance at the tanned guy next to me.

“I forced him to tell me. So it’s not his fault!”Jongin is standing up eyeing the Head Cupid and even though I can’t see his expression, the sudden boldness in his tone causes an unexplained warmth to settle in my upper body.

You,” Heechul sunbae fires a deadly glare at the poor guy. “Shut up for a second. And you,” He returns to me.

“Do you have any idea exactly how many rules you broke in one single day?”

Hm.

You can’t matchmake another Love God’s couple; that’s one. You can’t be seen by humans. Two. Using your own arrows to make someone fall for you is forbidden, so three. You can’t use one of your own arrows to yourself; that makes it four. Then, we have the ‘Fight Club’ rule, about never talking about our job to humans and I’m pretty sure there’s also a clause about not bringing random people to the Headquarters.

So… “Six?” I shrug.

Seven!”  Head Cupid slams –ouch- the desk with his fist.

“What’s number se- ?”

“No bribing is accepted!” Seriously, Heechul sunbae is dangerous. Look at how he shouts and breaks everything around him. Even I’m not that bad and I’ve already admittedly having anger management problems.

“To my defense, that was Baekhyun’s idea.” I raise two arms in the air. “And the only reason I brought Jongin here is for you to use a correction arrow on him.”

Which, now that I think of it, should be done really soon, before my infatuation for the kid becomes more intense and I end up running away with him.

Damn, he’s underage. Tsk.

When I finish my little battle with my love infected mind, I realize that, for once, Head Cupid is completely silent and gaping at me.

Ok, that can’t be good…

“What do you mean ‘correction arrow’?” Heechul sunbae blinks.

“You know…” I lean closer to prevent the tanned boy from listening to the plan. “So he can forget everything.”

“You want to make him forget using correction arrows?!” The raven-haired man shouts and I groan.

Remind me again, why did I count on this man’s confidentiality again?

Oh. Right. Cause I’m clearly a huge idiot.

That would explain a lot actually…

“Forget? Hyung wanted to make me forget about it?” Now I have two guys shrieking and shouting in my ears. And here I was thinking yesterday was hard.

“It’s for the best.” I explain to an upset-looking dancer who is again biting his lips in that stupid and torturous way which never fails to make a small mess out of my heartbeat.

“I don’t know if it’s for the best,” Head Cupid intervenes just as I’m about to have a cardiac arrest. “But, I’m pretty sure, that right now, it’s impossible.”

I’m sorry, what.

“What?” I turn around to face my superior in the speed of light.

 “A correction arrow only erases the last five minutes of a human’s memory.” The older man declared matter-of-factly and I slap my forehead. I forgot- totally forgot about that.

“How exactly are you going to erase the whole day?” Heechul sunbae stares me down and it feels like someone literally just spat on my face.

Well, you know, we could, “Use a lot of arrows! We could use like a ton and erase it all.”

A-A ton? Hyung that’s gonna mess my mind completely.” Stupid, handsome Jongin butts in like it’s any of his business.

“See? Even the clueless guy gets it. Too many correction arrows will damage his memory for good. The whole idea is ridiculous!” Right. Head Cupid is one to talk! The same person who thought it would be a good idea to empty buckets of cold water on sleeping people while videotaping it, has the audacity to reprimand my ideas. (A/N: Based on real events. )

Unbelievable.

Manager Lee is still scared to yawn in front of us and yet, I’m the one with the crazy plans!

I repeat; unbelievable.

“Then what do you suggest we do about this? Kill him?!” I snap at the Head Cupid in a way that I’m probably not supposed to snap at superiors.

Heechul sunbae taking a deep breath and then he just… “Kill him? Why would we kill him? I’d  rather kill you!” Explodes.

“Coping with all these problems is making me age before my time. You idiot gave me new wrinkles. See them? They’re growing as we speak. Here and here.” He points frantically somewhere on his spotless face and I suppress an eyeroll. “After all, why should I find a solution? You made him fall for you. So you take care of it.”

Man, this screeching is driving me crazy. He’s telling me off like I did it on purpose. As if I woke up one morning and decided to get involved in a messy business for the fun of it. Plus, none of this would have happened anyway, had someone realized that I’m simply not made to be a Love God in the first place.

“And don’t you dare mention how you ‘hate love’ and don’t want to work here anymore!” How on earth did he know what I was thinking? Is he a mind reader now?

“Ok. Fine.” I bite the insides of my mouth to keep from cursing. “Tell me what to do to ‘take care of it’?”

“You will look after your lovestruck puppy until it passes and both you and he go back to normal.” Head Cupid provides so effortlessly, like he’d been planning to propose this all along.

I wouldn’t even be surprised if that’s the case and he just yelled at me for the sake of yelling at someone.

“Excuse me, but what do you mean, ‘until it passes’?” Jongin presses the ends of his armchair asking nervously.  

“Oh, then I guess D.O. didn’t tell you about infatuation…” Sardonic smile in place, Heechul sunbae begins explaining. “When a love arrow hits you, you fall for the first person you see, you know that right?”

The younger boy nods hungrily taking in the new information.

“However, love arrows don’t create love. Love comes from the heart. The arrow only produces infatuation. In fated loves, infatuation turns into love as the two people get to know each other better. But when it’s not meant to be, infatuation lasts for a while until it fades away on its own. It’s what you people call ‘a crush’.” Well said.

It goes away.

Goes away. And then nothing more.

Infatuation passes. And after that, it’s ok again.

Infatuation is not love.

And it goes away.

I repeat again and again in my head, so that I don’t forget. As someone who has never thought of love, let alone infatuation, I feel very much out of my comfort zone with this wave of uncommon sensations. I’d hate to get confused and mistake them for real feelings.

Meanwhile, Jongin seems frozen and dazed about this new revelation. Which is understandable, I know, but I kind of expected him to be relieved hearing this.

Isn’t it better that it’s only infatuation and we can walk our separate ways after a couple of months?

“So what I’m feeling is a ‘crush’, right? It’s a good thing, right?” The dancer perks up after a good thirty seconds and I make an enthusiastic move to congratulate him for finally having the correct reaction. I pat his back in a manner that is meant to say ‘good job, little boy, here, have a cookie’, yet I pause mid-pat.

Since when did backs feel so warm and lean? And was… was my hoodie always so soft?

More importantly, why am I squeezing his shoulder now?

Oh ! No, no, no… Abort mission.

I recover my hand and fervently step back to the safety of my own seat.

“A good thing. Yes.” I grumble, glaring daggers down at my criminal hands. And he’s even a minor, you ert!

 “I’m glad you both agree. Well, then, you will excuse me…” The Head Cupid is motioning for us to get out of his office when I realize that we have yet to solve the basic problem.

“Wait a moment! Heechul sunbae said I should look after Jongin until the infatuation passes. What do we do about his memory, though? He knows everything about us now.” I ask in one breath.

“Well, that’s your fault.” Yeah, I knew that already…

“It is and that’s why I’m worried that he might talk about it.” And as much as I despise this love business, I refuse to be the reason it falls apart. I mean, imagine being the person who destroyed love; it would be dreadful. I’d get anti fans and everything.

“Ah no… that won’t happen. Cupids help couples fall in love. No guy in his right mind would make us angry.” I might not be a very perceptive individual, but even I got the subtle threat behind Heechul sunbae’s words.

In other words, don’t piss off a Love God if you want to find true love in this life time.

“Of course! No guy in his right mind would!” Jongin assures, probably getting the drift as well. “But…”

But? After being threatened like this, how can he say ‘but’?

“But I’m not in my right mind right now. Cause I’m infatuated.” Head Cupid smirks at these words.

“Certainly, you’ve got a point. Since you’re infatuated, you will probably blurt out a lot of careless things about D.O.. So we need to keep an eye on you.” And by ‘we’ he means ‘I’ should keep an eye on Jongin. 

“Exactly! It is as Heenim-sshi says it.” Aish this boy, going so far as using this obnoxious nickname… “I’m crazy about D.O. hyung and I might accidentally tell someone…”

“Yah!” Shameless brat, always getting carried away and saying rude things when I’m not shouting at him. “Aren’t you ashamed? Don’t admit it so easily!”

“Hyung made that happen, why do I need to be apologetic?” During his second day of knowing me, Jongin sticks his tongue out at me. The kid is making my blood boil, I swear!

No, wait. Somehow, it sounds like I said something erted again.

My own head is playing tricks on me. How am I supposed to cope with this?

“Don’t talk back to me!” I hiss to the tanned guy, huffing.

“Please have your cute quarreling outside.” Heechul sunbae chuckles under his hand.

I got it, I got it.

I stand up and throw a quick bow at my superior. “Fine. I’m going off now.”

“Take good care of your puppy D.O. yah!” The older man grins. “Oh! And before I forget it. You’re getting demoted.”

Say what?

“You’re kidding, right?” This is too much. “I’m at the lower ranks. Demoting means firing me and you can’t do that. Believe me, I’ve tried.”

“Well, there is one department that takes in idiots and rule breakers like yourself…” No. Head Cupid can’t be serious about this.

Just... No.

The only reason I actually did my job –despite hating it with a burning passion- was to avoid working with them

Now all these efforts are going down the drain for one stupid matchmake and I am actually thrown to the darkest corner of the love business.

“You can’t do this to me, Heenim!” I could swear it’s not begging. Then again, I did use that nickname…

“Come on now, D.O. yah, it’s not so bad.” He says, sounding not one bit truthful.

I should have asked for Head Cupid to just strangle me with the string of his bow. It would have been so much better. Like, legitimately, less painful than this.

“I hate love!” I bellow storming out of the office.

“I bet she’s no big fan of yours either!” I vaguely hear Heechul sunbae’s laughter behind me like a tail.

“You got demoted.” Jongin has gone back to chewing his lower lip as we ride the elevator to the ground floor.

“Are you going to rub it in?” I snap despite hearing the way his tone has softened.

“N-No…” Strands of hair fly around his face as he shakes his head. “I just felt sorry.”

“But you were right before.” My own words come out milder than I had prepared them in my head. “This is all my fault.”

And it probably is. 

I guess Heechul sunbae has a point. I, who hate love so much, have probably made love hate me as well.

That’s why the Higher Ups are making sure I see it with my own eyes and feel it deep to my bones.

This painful and pointless love which isn’t even true love, but only infatuation.

“Looks like your wish will come true after all, Crong.” I mutter exiting the building.

“What wish?” Jongin inquires, trying to sound uninterested for my sake and failing.

“Since you’ll be hanging out with me for a while, you’ll find out all about unrequited love.” It can’t be helped that I feel bitter. Because I have struggled so hard to avoid unrequited love. But it’s coming straight at me at this point and it’s impossible to run away.

My stupid wings aren’t even working…

“I will? Why?” The dancer raises his eyebrows in question.

“Because, I’m working with Strays now.” The worst kind of fate has befallen me.

And all that for a freaking flying carpet.

Because I’m a bloody fool.

And possibly because love hates me.

 


 

 

 

A/N: I'm not really happy about this chapter. :/  If you have any questions about what is what please ask!

But it's an update, right? 

Kisses and hugs for reading. 

I'll do my best for next week too, guys!