Chapter 13: I am you?!

Love Dust

 

Midafternoon...

I’m here in SNU’s cafeteria particularly on the spot close to the entrance. I’m here because I’m waiting for Mi Rae. This is the most convenient time for both of us to see each other since we are already busy with our respective businesses in and out school.

“Chin, are you ready?” Mi Rae asked as she placed her shoulder bag on the seat next to me.

“Y—yes. But why don’t we eat first... snacks. My treat.” I told her.

“Alright! Anything will do.”

I left Mi Rae, went to the food counter and ordered some light snacks and cold drinks.

“So, what are we going to do?” I asked Mi Rae while I hand her drinks.

“I will let you borrow my identity.” Mi Rae directly said.

“Huh?! No. That’s ---“

“Don’t worry. I know what you feel. I’ve been in your situation.”

I gave her my puzzled look.

“hmmm... few years ago, I was still a minor then, there came this situation when I badly need a job... because... alright, you’re one of the few people that would know that... I’m now all by myself... after my dad died, my mom left me... and now I don’t know where she is. Anyways, after that incident one of my friends offered me to use her identity. I email her resume to have this certain job that only require the applicants to work without seeing their employers... But during the job interview, my friend was the one being interviewed... and at the end of the day I’m the one who works and earns.”

“so, what type of work did you apply for?”

“Somekind of maid... but I think the best word that would truly describe it is... housekeeping. I only worked for limited hours... the hours when my boss is not in his house. I do the laundry, clean his place and cook his meal before he arrives home.”

“What a coincidence! I also saw an ad that has the same description.”

“Don’t be surprised. It’s now very common and I forgot to tell you that I already emailed my resume to the email ad that you sent to me last night. The employer texted me to meet him at his office tonight.”

“Really? Thanks.”

“What kind of job is it?”

“Your past job... housekeeping”

“Oh I see! Not too bad! Don’t worry, if we got our licence as Chemical Engineer and our masteral degree. Everything will be okay financially. ”

“You’re right.”

It’s a cold evening. You can see from the people’s clothes and outfits that winter is approaching. From one to two layers of clothes, some started to put additional layers for additional warmth. In an averaged size office located on the fourth floor in a business or office building somewhere in Seoul. A middle aged man is busy browsing his computer.

“I already downgrade the qualifications and still few possible people are meeting them.” He told himself as he continued to read some resumes online.

“Only one applicant left for this day. I hope that she’s the one.” He added.

‘tok, tok, tok,’

“Come in.”

“Good evening, sir. I’m Mi Rae. I was scheduled to come here at this time.”

“Yes, I know. Please, sit down.”

“Well, I’ve gone through your resume and saw that you’d also been to this kind of job not just once but many times. I’m just wondering why you’re still applying, if you already have your degree as Chemical Engineer?”
 

“Yes, I’m applying because I’m still studying for my masters. I’m hoping that this job would help me to at least reduce my financial obligations in school.”

“I see. So why did you choose to apply here? Why don’t you apply to big companies and practice your profession?”

“I’m sorry sir but I just wanted you to know that I’m still saving some cash for my licensure review and for my masters because, I want to apply to my dream company not as a bachelor with degree but with masters and of course as a licensed engineer.”

“Interesting... well, I won’t prolong this conversation. Congratulations, you’re hired!”

“Really, Sir? Thank you!”

“I’m not kidding. You’re hired Ms. Engineer. I mean Ms. Song. Here’s the contract read first before you sign.”

Mi Rae takes first her time to read the contract before signing it.

“Okay, Ms. Song. You can start tomorrow but before you start tomorrow, please lend some time to read and study this... Key is also inside. If you have questions, please feel free to email me or text me.”  The employer said as he hands a small brown envelope to Mi Rae.

“Thank you, Sir. I promise to give my very best service.”