Chapter 12: Job Hunting

Love Dust

 

“So, how’s the search for the new maid?” TOP’s manager asked the road manager on the phone.

“Yes, I’m here in Seoul times to pay for an advertisement. We changed the requirements since, it’s quite impossible to find someone like Ms. Han.” The road manager replied.

“Alright, I’m hoping that you can find someone within this week because, Seung Hyun told me that Ms. Han will have her permanent leave next next day.”

“Ok. Wish us luck.” The road manager ended the conversation.

Another regular day starts. Everyone is busy with their respective routines while I at this time still hoping to get another job. As expected, I’m here in the SNU library cafe to finish my left work last day including Seung Joon’s late book return. Actually, he’s just penalized with a very small amount, an amount equivalent to having a hot coffee from a vending machine.

Well, I’m still hoping for a miracle to happen...

“Excuse me, I just want to ask if...” a familiar voice registers as I reached for some late returned books below my desk.

I lift my head and I’m right. It is Mi Rae.

“Chin! You’re here! How come you’re here?” Mi Rae asked in surprise.

“It’s my fourth day working here and by the way, I’m sorry for what had happened last time. I was so drunk... and thanks for keeping my purse... I’m really sorry for not thanking you personally... the time that I got my it...”

“Oh, you don’t need to feel sorry for. Anyways, why are you working?”

“It’s a very long story...”

“Just go directly to the point. Maybe I could help you.”

“To tell you prankly, it’s because of my family. We are facing somekind of a financial problem.”

“Oh my, I’m sorry. But I think lending some cash won’t completely solve your problem. Don’t worry, I will think of the best solution for your problem but for now I just want to ask if my registration is still valid.”  She said as she hands me her ID.

I type her student number and check her registration in the cafe’s OS.

“Yes, you’re still registered and your registration will expire next semester.” I informed her.

“You’re still looking for a job huh?” she replied while reading the classified ads on the right side of my desk.

“Yes, but I think it’s impossible for me to work outside because I don’t have any working visa.”

“Uh, ah, that’s what you think. I guess that I now know the best solution.”

“what solution?”

“Don’t worry. Just continue highlighting the jobs that you want to apply.”

“b—but...”

“Here, you still have plenty to choose from. I know that you can already read some basic Korean characters and can now understand some few phrases. Araso? I need to go now. Just text me your available schedule for the week. Anneong!” She said and immediately left.

“Kamsahamnida!”

After Mi Rae left, I start to scan the classified ads of the newspapers that she placed on my desk. I highlighted all the jobs that fit my qualifications but a particular ad catches my attention not because that it is the only one colored and has the biggest portion in its section but it has the very best ‘schedule’ that fits on my day to day routine. The ad says:

HOUSE KEEPER

Open to all gender (Male or Female)

Age: 20 and above

Knows how to do house chores including laundry

Working hours: 1pm to 4pm

Location: within Seoul

If interested submit your resume to [email protected]