Second Chances

Of Eggnog and Mistletoe

You cleared your throat, running your tongue across your lips. If anyone would have told you, just hours ago, that you would do a duet with Himchan tonight, you would have laughed in their face. Because, honestly, what were the chances of you and him even having a conversation? You were, much to your surprise, proven wrong. The two of you had spent a little over an hour together, which, even though you had done extremely embarrassing things, you thoroughly enjoyed. Rather, you still were enjoying it. The night wasn’t over yet.

You mumbled a small “okay” and began, keeping your tone extremely quiet, only for the two of you to hear.

Christmas ~ fall in love this Christmas –.”

That’s what I want!” You heard him sing, in tune to the background parts of the song. You broke out into a small smile, your voice becoming a bit louder with confidence. Himchan grinned in response, keeping his eyes glued to you.

Fall in love this Christmas –.”

That’s what I need!”

Fall in love this Christmas, this Christmas, this Christmas ~.” What nerves you had before were slowly disappearing as you looked into his eyes, finding that you were at ease around him when he acted like this – like a real person. That was silly – because he was a real person! But here you were with Himchan, not Himchan the idol, nor Himchan the y member of B.A.P, but the real Himchan. Who was just as charming, if not even more, than the one you saw perform on tv.

You continued to sing, a bashful look taking over your features at the lyrics.

I just wanna be in love this Chirstmas!
Naega wonhaneun somureun jongmallo igot hanappuniya.
Sarange ppajyo itneun got to fall in love~.”

Himchan took over the next part, which was originally sung by a male. He closed his eyes as he sang, no doubt putting as much passion as he could into his lines.

Ulhaedo sseulsseulhan gyoul bam gorireul honja gatgo isseumyeon.
Seuchineun chan barami nae useul tteulgo deuowa gaseumi siryoogo.
Sumaneun saramdeul sogeso hengbokhaehanen moseupdeul bomyeo.
Hanchameul misojitda ggyolguge sseulsseulhi doraseo balgoreumeul olgyeo
.”

To watch someone perform, let alone someone you adoured, was a mesmerizing experience. There was a reason why some singers did this for a living, because they had something about them that came alive when they performed. Seeing this phenomenon take place so close – you two were really only a few inches away from each other – was indescribable.

Your head began to bob to imaginary rhythm, as you played the song in your head. You opened your mouth to sing your line, and were surprised when Himchan joined in – his deeper voice providing a wonderful contrast to your feminine voice. He opened his eyes and looked at you on key phrases while he sang, emphasizing the last line.

I don’t wanna be alone this Christmas nado nugun-gal mannaseo.
Dareun girye yonindeul choreom sarangeul seoksagigo sipeo, that’s all I want.

The two of you alternated lines as the song went on, and you began to feel more comfortable about singing. That didn’t mean, however, that you were any good at it. Regardless, Himchan didn’t seem to mind when you hit a note too high or any of your other mistakes. He seemed to have as much fun as you were having. By the time you two had reached the end of the song, you had discarded your previous apprehension, and had put your all into your ‘singing,’ if you could even call it that. It hadn’t even occurred to you, until the song was over, that you and Himchan had held hands throughout the whole performance.

You and Himchan exchanged a look and you burst out laughing, using your free hand to cover your mouth. He grinned widely at you, watching you attempt to regain your composure.

“You aren’t bad that at singing,” he said, running his thumb across your hand. You laughed and shook your head, trying to muffle your laughter.

“You mean I , right?”

“I mean you should probably stick to your day job,” Himchan winked at you, which almost instantly cured your ailment with laughter, but instilled a different problem in its place: a faster heartbeat. You cleared your throat, trying to hide your blushing by turning your head, reaching down for your bag.

“Ahem, well, I think I should –.”

“Oh, ______-ah! Can I use your phone for a second? I think I lost mine.”

You blinked but nodded, taking out the electronic device and unlocking it before placing it in his free palm. You were about to slip your hand away from his, with the intention of allowing him an easier way to complete whatever call or text he was about to make, but he had punched in the number of someone with one hand quickly, and brought the phone to his ear shortly after. You watched him, trying to remember this moment and everything about him as best you could. You were surprised, though, when you heard the ring of a cell phone come from somewhere nearby. You realized, only half a second later, that the noise was coming from inside of his front pocket. Your eyes darted back up to his, and you saw him grinning brightly, extremely satisfied with himself.

“Would you look at that? There it is.” Himchan ended the call, and used his thumb to type things on your screen – which you assumed was him saving his own number onto your phone. You watched him in disbelief, your jaw practically hitting the floor. He placed the phone back in your bag and brought his hand under your chin again, gently closing your mouth. “You don’t know what can fly in there, ______-ah. C’mon, let’s go.” He pulled you along with him, from the corridor into the main lobby. You followed, still stunned from what just happened. You cleared your throat and stammered a bit before forming a complete sentence.

“Y-you know, if you wanted my, uhm, my number, you could have just asked!”

Himchan turned around, stopping in the middle of the lobby with you. “Yeah, but,” he began, his tone low and husky. He raised a hand to cup your cheek, tenderly running his thumb down it. “Would you have really given me it? Or would you have thought I was screwing around with you, hm?” You looked at him and suddenly became aware of how close he was standing to you, and how you two were the only ones in the lobby. Your attention drifted from his eyes to his lips, and you unconsciously wet your own with your tongue. He was so close – you could practically feel the heat from his face on your own.

You weren’t quite sure if it was your imagination playing tricks on you, but you could have sworn that he began to move his face closer to yours – and with his hand on your cheek, you could only guess what happened next.

Which was why you backed away, beginning to feel incredibly flustered, a nervous giggle erupting from your lips. “A-aha, Himchan, you know what? I have to go!” You slipped your hand away from his, and looked up at him. Although, you regretted looking at him at all – the surprise and disappointment was written all over. You bit your lip and your heel, walking faster than normal. “I need to get my coat!” You said, your voice cracking towards the end.

Your eyes stung with the promise of tears, and you hurried off to the coat room. How stupid can you be?! You didn’t hear any footsteps behind you, and figured he had stayed behind. That … or he had left and went back into the party room. You entered the room and fetched your coat, throwing it on yourself and inhaling shakily. Calm down, you big baby. You inhaled once more, and exhaled, attempting to find a sense of peace again. All you needed to do is walk out of that room as if nothing had happened. If you could make it to your car without crying and beating yourself up over this, it would be a Christmas miracle.

You raised your head as you walked back to the main lobby, and were surprised to find Himchan still standing in the same spot you left him, his hands in his pockets. He smiled when you appeared and began to walk towards you. “Are you all set?”

You nodded, trying not to hide your confusion. “Yeah!” The both of you walked towards the entrance of the building, which doubled as the exit, and you stopped in front of it.

“Are you,” he paused, searching your face. “Uh, sure you have to go?”

“Yeah! You know, I, uh, well, I don’t wanna get home too late…” Your voice trailed off and you smiled apologetically.

“Right.” He flashed a small smile back in response, but you could tell he wasn’t all too pleased with you leaving so soon. Trust me, Himchan. Neither am I… He avoided your gaze and looked at the ceiling, something catching his attention. You followed his eyes and looked up, the colour from your face draining as soon as you realized what was hanging above you two, like a spiteful joke.

“Mistletoe,” he chuckled, expressing his incredulity. Your heart thumped loudly against your chest, wondering if this was a second chance or another opportunity for you to embarrass yourself. You figured it was the former, but wouldn’t be surprised if Himchan’s last impression of you was a girl who avoided kissing him twice in one night.

Himchan’s eyes found yours again, and he stepped forward cautiously, as if seeing what you would do. Would you run again? You stood your ground, unsure of whether you would follow through this time. Time seemed to slow down as you watched him move closer, and you were on the verge of panicking.

Without thinking, you leaned up with the tips of your toes, placing your hands on his shoulders to keep your balance, and pressed your lips against his softly. It was hardly a kiss, just a quick contact with you mouths. You pulled away before he could react and exhaled a breath you hadn’t even realized you held in. You could feel your face burning and you smiled nervously, before attempting to turn around and leave. You hadn’t even made a quarter turn before you felt firm hands swing you back, and into the body of the man you spent all night with. One of Himchan’s hands s their way around your waist, and the other reached up to cup your cheek.

“Jagiya, don’t tease me.” He growled, leaning forward and capturing your lips. You were practically frozen, unsure of what to do. Himchan didn’t seem to be phased by this, however, and had kept his mouth on yours. Slowly, you began to relax, and you returned the kiss. Your hands slid up, resting on his chest, and you felt his heartbeat underneath your palms, noticing that the speed of his beating heart matched your own.

You parted your lips for a moment, but Himchan took that opportunity to slide his tongue in your mouth, wasting no time to deepen the kiss. Your initial reaction was surprise, but you welcomed him and returned the action, your tongues dancing with each other, dragging the kiss on longer than you had originally planned.

Himchan was the one to break the kiss, looking at you through half-lidded eyes. The both of you breathed heavily, looking into each other’s eyes for a moment longer. Himchan smirked, running his hands through your hair, keeping you close. “That was much better, don’t you think?”

You blushed and nodded, wetting your lips lightly. “Yeah, but it could have been better…”

Ouch – that really seemed to hurt him. His face went from ‘cocky bastard’ to ‘nervous boy’ in less than a second. You couldn’t help but giggle at how his expression fell. “How?”

“You tasted like eggnog.”

He laughed, shyly looking away. “Is that so?” Himchan sighed loudly, his eyes falling on your lips – swollen from the intensity and desire of the kiss – again briefly before finding their way back to your eyes. “Well, I promise that next time it will be different.”

Did I hear that right? “Next time?”

He spun you around so that you faced the exit, giving your behind a small pat. “Yah, get going.”

You turned around, your confused – yet ecstatic look meeting, with his amused one. You could feel your cheeks warm again and you giggled again, raising a hand to wave at him as you opened the door with your free one. “Bye, Himchan. Merry Christmas!”

He nodded his head at you, a shy, boy-ish smile finding its way onto his face. “Merry Christmas, ______-ah. See you soon.”

You pushed past the doors and waved at him again from outside, before rushing to the safety of your car. When you sat down inside, you whipped out your phone. You thumbed over your contacts and looked for Himchan’s number, but he didn’t seem to save it under his name. Confused, you scrolled through until you saw one contact you had no recollection of ever entering: Oppa <3.

“Oppa?” You giggled and shook your head, placing the phone back in your bag. “I like the sound of that.”

 


author's note: this was all really long, wow
if i had uploaded this all as a "oneshot" it would have been over 6k words long
aren't you guys glad i broke it up?? LOL i hope you guys enjoyed it!!
and i hope you all had a lovely christmas, if you celebrated it! 
and if not then i hope you had a great day c:
please leave comments and stuff! thank you guys ~