Rain

Hallucination

 

Three days have passed since the unexpected incident. Three days have passed without news or updates. Three days have passed since he’s last seen her. Three days have passed with nothing but silent worries.

 

The weekends have finally rolled in after what seemed to be a hell of a school week.

 

Tao wakes up in the late morning. He rolls in bed, not wanting to get up as the rainy weather gives off a sense of warmth that he wish to relish in. He smiles, snuggling into his grey comforter and letting the gloriousness of the weather sink in.

 

Tao has always loved the rain. To him, the sounds of tiny droplets of water hitting the ground was a soothing serenade that kept him calm and sane from the hectic life of a high school student. Whenever it rained, he’d close his eyes and let the music flow through his ears, emptying his mind of any worries. And if no one were in sight, Tao would run around in the rain with arms spread wide open, caring less of what the consequences could be and more on enjoying what’s happening in the present.

 

Tao was too indulged in the rainy weather that he did not notice his bedroom door slowly opening, revealing a petite woman in her early 40’s. “Tao~”

 

Tao snapped his head towards the direction of the woman’s voice. “Oh, mom…” He says absentmindedly. “I need you to go to the store.” Tao’s mom said as she walked towards him.

 

“Here’s a list of things you’ll need to buy.” She handed Tao a folded paper.

 

He looked over it. “Is someone coming to our house?” He asked while looking at the list. Tao looked up after a minute of silence. He grunted, seeing that his mother had left already.

 

~*~*~

 

Saya wakes up from the loudness of the rain outside. She lies on her back, staring at the white ceiling in a melancholic manner.

 

The sound of water droplets hitting the window next to Saya’s bed reminds her of a time of great grief. The gloomy aura that the rainy weather has brought into her small bedroom reminds Saya of her great stupidity.

 

Flashes of events from that night leaves Saya in an almost paralyzed state.

 

The roads were dangerously slippery in Hokkaido, Japan, thanks to the ongoing snow brought on by the winter season. In the dead of night, two girls were seen drunkenly walking the streets.

 

“D-Do you have the keys?” One of the girls said in a slurred manner. The other girl nodded, fumbling with the car keys in her hands.

 

Saya turns her head to look out the window. Streams of water flowed down the glass panels.

 

Neither girl had their seatbelts on.

 

They closed their eyes and spit out incoherent words as they jammed to the blasting music coming from the radio. The driver, who was caught up in the moment, unintentionally pressed down – a lot harder – on the pedal, causing the unstable car to accelerate into a lamppost.

 

Both were thrown out, but only one survived.

 

“It’s all your fault~” A ghostly whisper said through Saya’s ears. “If only you hadn’t survived, you’d be here… with me.”

 

Cold, rough hands with unbelievably sharp fingertips slowly wrapped themselves around Saya’s warm neck. Saya’s breath hitched as the grip tightened, stealing her of air. Eyes filled with hatred bore into her own, paralyzing Saya’s entire body. Icy blue lips haunted-ly smiled down on the struggling girl, savoring the pain being inflicted on the defenseless.

 

Heart-wrenching gasps were heard outside of Saya’s closed bedroom door. The dying girl squirmed under its hands, creating loud noises in hopes someone will hear and come to her rescue.

 

Poor, little Saya was home alone.