Blood

Hallucination

 

“Behind you~” She mouthed out while looking afraid. He looks at her confusedly. His brows creased and lips in a slight pout, Tao hesitantly turns his head and body only to see nothing but students finishing up their lunch. Tao turns back to Saya with an increase in confusion. He sees Saya staring at something behind him. Tao turns around once again but does not see anything in particular that would catch his attention.

 

Saya sits there frozen as Tao stares at her weirdly. She sits there gawking at It. It stands behind Tao yet he does not see it or even sense its presence, no one does. Tao clears his throat causing Saya to snap back to reality. The dimly lit cafeteria that Saya once saw was back to its original state, bright and un-eerie. It was gone as well.

 

She shifts her attention to Tao. “I’m sorry, but did you say something?” She asked. He shakes his head. “Nope, but I believe you did.”

 

Saya’s mouth formed an “o” as she nodded her head in understanding. “Its nothing really, just thought I saw someone I knew – Are you done with your food?” Saya said, changing the subject.

 

Tao shoots her a weird look before answering. “Um, yeah I guess-“

 

“Let’s head back to class then.” Saya beamed as she packed up her bento. Tao followed and began to drink the last ounce of milk left in his milk carton.

 

~*~*~

 

They walk in the hallways in silence. Saya halts. “Bathroom.” She says before turning around and heading towards the girls’ bathroom. She enters and Tao waits outside the door.

 

Tao leans against the wall and watches the lower classmen pass by. His right foot uncontrollably taps on the tiles of the hallway as he waits for Saya. Tao grows impatient by the second. “Why is she taking so long?” He mumbled to himself. He pulls out his phone to check the time. A good 5 minutes has passed since Saya has entered the bathroom.

 

~*~*~

 

Saya comes out of the bathroom stall and heads toward the sink to wash her hands. The cold water sends shivers down her spine. Saya keeps her hands under the cold water, loving the way it cascades down her skin.

 

Saya turns off the faucet. She turns only to be face to face with It.  It takes a step closer.

 

~*~*~

 

A female student gives Tao a strange look before entering the girls’ bathroom. Seconds later, a screeching scream passes through his ears, scaring Tao. The female student that gave Tao a strange look came running out of the bathroom and towards, what seemed to be, the nurses office. Tao looks at the disappearing figure of the running girl before turning his attention to the door of the girls’ bathroom.

 

Images of Saya surges through his head. He hesitates but slowly enters. Tao takes cautionary steps and slowly made his way to the stalls. Saya’s body lay limp on the bathroom tiles. Tao stumbles a bit at the sight. He then gasps as he sees a small pool of blood surrounding Saya’s head. He rushes over and kneels down. Not knowing what to do, he shouts for help. “Help! Anyone! Help!”

 

 Tao’s ears perked as the sounds of hasty footsteps grew nearer. Soon, the school nurse and the female student came to the rescue. Tao stood up and walked towards the side of the bathroom, not wanting to be a hindrance in this serious situation. He watches as a pair of faculty members carried Saya’s unconscious body to the infirmary.

 

“You may go to class.” The nurse says to the female student. The student, who is surely scarred by now, bows and hurriedly, makes her way to class. The nurse then turns to the still Tao. “You may also go back to class.” She says. “Will she be alright?” Tao worriedly asks. The nurse assures him with a nod. “Now, go.” With that, Tao leaves with a bundle of worries.

 

~*~*~

 

Tao arrives to class late. Mr. Kim, his homeroom teacher, ignores Tao as he made his way towards his desk and continues on with the lesson. Tao sits down and stares at the empty seat beside him. He blankly stares at it for the whole period.

 

Time quickly passes by. The bell rings signaling that the school day is over.

 

Tao snaps out of his trance and packs up. As he zombie-ly walks down the hallway, he hears students talking, talking about the incident that happened during lunch.

 

“I heard a girl passed out in the girls’ bathroom.” “What happened? Is she like, okay or something?” “I think so – I don’t really know…”

 

Tao’s head hung low, covering the frown on his face. “Saya,” He says under his breath.