It

Hallucination

 

She sits at the back corner of the classroom by the window. Her long, dark, black hair hides the earphones that have helped to tune out the outside noises. She looks out to the window not caring about the lesson being taught by her homeroom teacher, Mr. Kim. At the foot of the closest tree, Saya sees its mutilated silhouette. Chills run down her spine, the hairs on the back of her neck stands, goose bumps begin to show on her milky, white skin. Saya blinks and It disappears. Saya shifts her attention to the front of the class.

 

It stands by the doorway.

 

Head bent to the side almost as if it was going to fall off. The silhouette of the sleeveless dress was torn at the hemline. Arms fell straight down its body with bumps along the outline that seemed to be protruding bones. Hands were slightly curled and fingers long and sharp. The left foot was grotesquely twisted to the side, leaving the left leg to be bent while the right stood straight.

 

Saya jumps a bit at the sight of the distorted shadow. She fights the urge to scream at the thing that is now limply moving towards her. She gawks at the figure. Her body stiffens as she realizes that it is only a desk away. Saya closes her eyes and tries to concentrate on the music playing through her earphones. In a matter of seconds, she feels the hot breath of It on her cheek. Saya shivers. Her lips start to tremble as It begins to trail its hand up her sleeved arm.

 

The lunch bell rings and It disappears. Saya sighs in relief.

 

~*~*~

 

Tao sits across Saya at a small lunch table inside the cafeteria of the school. They eat in silence, Tao with his so-so tasting school lunch and Saya with her adorable but tasty bento.

 

As they satisfy their hungry needs, Tao watches Saya and wonders if she’s a normal human being at times. She who seems to switch moods ever so frequently catches him off guard but intrigues him at the same time.

 

He wonders how they became friends. Was it the seating arrangement? Would they have ever become friends or even mere acquaintances if it weren’t for their seating arrangements? He wonders but never asks.

 

Saya peeks up from her food to see Tao dazing off into space. “Earth to Tao, you there?” Saya says as she snaps her fingers in front of his face. Tao blinks and shakes his head. Saya makes a confused face. “What were you thinking about?” She asked. Before answering, Tao munches on a baby carrot. “Nothing important.” He doesn’t continue.

 

Saya shrugs her shoulders at Tao’s monotonous response and continues to eat. Tao glances at Saya. “Say, I’ve always wondered why you always had your earphones on in class. They’re always on yet the teachers don’t even notice.” Tao says.

 

Saya kept a calm a demeanor, though what Tao said had Saya’s brain in a jumbled mess as she tried to find a reasonable lie to tell.

 

“I’m pretty much…” Saya pauses as she tries to find the right words to say. “Advanced for this grade level. And its not that the teachers are oblivious, its just that they don’t really care, really.”

 

“Advanced?” Tao asked. Saya motions for him to lean in. Tao slightly leans forward as does Saya. “Don’t tell anyone, but I was held back. I was supposed to graduate last year but things came up and now I’m here repeating senior year...” She whispered into his ear. “Oh, that rhymed.” Saya said.

 

They sit back to normal. “What is this ‘thing’ that held you back?” Tao asked. “I can’t tell you.” Saya’s voice had come out rigid and harsh. Silence filled the air between the two.

 

Guilt washes over Saya as she realizes the tone of her voice. The atmosphere darkens literally through Saya’s eyes. Saya grows afraid and her eyes dart across and all over the cafeteria. Her breathing quickens and the grip on her chopsticks tightens.

 

Tao watches in confusion as Saya’s mood gradually changes. To Tao, everything seemed normal and unchanging but to Saya, the cafeteria lights were slowly dimming and the noises were beginning to drown in silence.

 

Saya freezes as her eyes landed on Tao. She mouths out. “Behind you~”