-8th March 1995-

Lost Brothership

Kyuhyun sat back in his chair. The principle was making a big speech at the front of the sea of students. He was telling them all about taking home PE bags from lockers at the end of the week. Something about them becoming unhygienic; but everyone knew it was because they were smelling out the cloakroom.

SeungHyun was sitting beside him, poking him every so often to try and make him face the front and listen. But all Kyuhyun could do was stare at the blonde headed boy in the row in front of him just a few chairs down.

Through his desperate attempts of poking and prodding, SeungHyun wasn’t going to get his brother to listen, so he gave up, shook his head, and folded his arms across his chest.

Kyuhyun sighed. He just wanted to run his hands through the boy’s hair and was struggling with the fact the he couldn’t; it always looked soft.

He couldn’t ever tell his brother. There were so many thinks he would gladly share with SeungHyun, but his uality was not one of them. Batting for another team had its cons, but having a crush on one of his best friends made it worse. Ten fold.

It would have to be his secret. Only his. If he were to tell his brother, there would only be shouting, and hating. And Kyuhyun was never one to get angry over things so trivial. It was only what he liked, for Pete’s sake.

Even if he did consider telling SeungHyun, which was very unlikely in itself, he didn’t know how he would react. And if it went badly, he might be sleeping without a roof over his head.

The chatter rising in the hall echoed around Kyuhyun’s head, making him break from his train of thought. He looked around to see that his brother was no longer sat next to him.

The students were all making their way back towards their homerooms in a sea of heads, going through the door in twos. The assembly was finally over.

After a few moments of pondering what to do next, he decided to look for his brother in amidst the horde of people. The room looked messier with everyone all scattered round it.

He bumped into a lot of people. Most of the taller students were using their hand as a battering ram, and just knocking the small ones out of the way. And Kyuhyun bounced right off them.

He’d never been very tall to begin with, but with everyone seemed so much bigger now that he was standing a foot under their looming bodies.

He was just about to give up and go back to his homeroom, when he walked past three people standing by a big window, overlooking the school grounds. It was GeunSuk, who stood with his hands in his pockets, SeungHyun, who was leaning back against the window ledge, and the boy with blonde hair, whose blonde head shone from the light pouring in the window.

He was laughing, as he waved a hand in Kyuhyun’s direction. Kyuhyun felt a strange pull of gravity towards the boy. He couldn’t help but trudge his way over, weaving in and out of people crossing his path.

When he got close to the group, SeungHyun’s gaze fell on him. He smiled a small-familiar-smile that Kyuhyun knew. He often smiled like that when he saw Kyuhyun. It was the smile that Kyuhyun came to love the most about his big brother.

“Hey Kyuhyun,” GeunSuk said, ruffling the hair on Kyuhyun’s head.

 Kyuhyun smoothed down his hair, disgruntled, before answering. “Hyung! Don’t do that, it messes up my hair,” he said, glancing at the blonde boy. After all he didn’t want to look silly in front of him.

“Hi Kyuhyun!” the boy said, stepping towards him and leaning an arm across Kyuhyun’s shoulders.

Kyuhyun felt hot, and struggled to say. “Hey, JiYong,” in a timid voice.