-20th November 2007-

Lost Brothership

 

JiYong rolled over in bed, and was woken by someone breathing on his cheek. He opened his eyes to see Kyuhyun’s sleeping face; hair flopped over his eyes, mouth agape. It was a sight he’d gotten used to since Kyuhyun had moved in a few weeks ago.

JiYong smiled. Brushing the hair out of Kyuhyun’s eyes, he kissed the younger’s forehead and pulled himself out of bed. Walking towards the bathroom, he passed an old picture of the two.

They were at a fireworks show on a Christmas Eve back when they were still in school. Back when they were still close with GeunSuk and SeungHyun. And even though Kyuhyun was SeungHyun’s brother, they don’t talk as much anymore. JiYong thought that it was the fact that Kyuhyun kept the biggest secret of his life from him.

SeungHyun was always there for Kyuhyun, did everything with him. And not telling him about JiYong…well, SeungHyun cut him off. Didn’t talk to him for weeks. Stopped coming to the tree house in GeunSuk’s back garden to meet the other boys. Not even sitting with him at dinner.

It tore JiYong’s heart out seeing how it broke Kyuhyun. He was in pieces over it. His brother - the only family he’d ever properly know - had disowned him. Hated him. Loathed him for who he was.

JiYong never put a title to the secret, because he believed that it wasn’t what they did. It’s who they were, and people shouldn’t have titles for being different. That’s like separating the blacks from the whites because they’re not the same…

JiYong picked up the photo, smiling at the memory, and rubbed his thumb over Kyuhyun’s face. The Kyuhyun in the picture was a lot younger, and his hair was shorter. His jaw was less defined and the same old wonky grin.

To the left of him stood a rather serious looking SeungHyun who had a very slight smile across his strong face. He looked just like he did now. Not much had changed except for his roots growing out: His hair was dyed pure white in the picture, sides shaved and styled upwards. JiYong remembered that he’d done it for losing a bet. GeunSuk and he had bet whoever had their first kiss first, had to dye their hair a colour of the other’s choice.

GeunSuk had won the bet because he’d tripped and fallen on top of a girl, their lips had brushed briefly, and he’d played it off as being a real first kiss. Made up an elaborate story about it too.

To the left of SeungHyun, was GeunSuk with his arm slung around SeungHyun’s neck. His hair was almost hiding his entire face, which was still visibly chubby yet there was a parting where his eye was visible.

And on the other side of him, was a very small JiYong, who was both little in size and weight. He had never had much meat on his bones to begin with and he’d never been the tallest of boys, but he never really put on weight, even after a gorging at his favourite restaurant. He was still as skinny now, whist he looked at the photo and reminisced.

Two arms wrapped around his waist, and a warm breath whispered into his ear. “Fancy a full English?”

JiYong put the picture down, and turned around to face the other boy. He smiled and said “Sounds about right.”